Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a bit of anxiety right now. I went to get my oil changed at a Valvoline drive through supplying my own oil (Kirkland full synthetic) and filter (ACDelco). The tech informs me that there was no oil on my dipstick and recommends doing an engine flush. I initially agreed and I didn't like the sound of there not being any oil on the dipstick, but for whatever reason I decided to look it up in the OM. From the OM: "Engine oil system flushes are not recommended and could cause engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty." I then told them not to do the flush and just change the oil. The tech then recommended an alternative to flush/clean the fuel system. I declined that as well and I wanted to ask the collective SS hive mind here. Is that something that should be done as well? They recommend fuel treatment every 3mo/7500mi, fuel system service every 15k mi, and a fuel filter every 30k mi. Bonus recommendation was to also service my power steering fluid as well (recommended every 30k mi). No where in the OM are these things recommended...

My anxiety is worried something may be wrong. My last oil change was done at ~46k mi and I'm at ~54k (<12months). I change the oil when the car tells me too, I assume it's smart enough to tell me when it wants to be changed. It's my daily and I'm basically changing the oil 1-2 times a year. An additional point that was brought to my attention, the engine coolant was really low (no overheating messages ever appeared). Could there be something causing these issues? There seems to be nothing leaking on my garage floor to indicate to me that there is an issue.

I'm looking to be put at ease and make sure I'm doing the right maintenance that's actually required for the car and not recommended by a random service tech. Sorry for the brain dump and any advice/reassurance is greatly appreciated in advanced!

My stats should be in my sig, but car is 2017 M6 54k mi with a CAI and tune.

·
Super Moderator
7,871 Posts
You should be checking your oil every time you fill the tank, you'll never have to worry. As for the rest of it, go by the owners manual recommended service intervals. You could tell them to change the power steering fluid, but who knows where they'd put it since your car doesn't take any.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like they were trying to upsell you a motor flush. The SS has an oil level sensor, so it will set a check oil level message in the DIC before it gets too low. I'd still keep an eye on the level in case they weren't BSing you.

·
Registered
2016 Stock - Sunroof, Inflator, Manual Trans and Brake Squeal
103 Posts
If you knew that your last oil change was in fact 8 quarts, there aren't any oil spots or trails under your car, I wouldn't worry, and chalk it up to upselling. If it was 5 quarts (happens), then you may have been low on oil for the last ~7500 miles.

I always mark the level before draining and after filling. My oil barely moves down the dipstick during the OLM 95% life, so if you broke the engine in by following the OM, and drive mostly the speed limit on the highway you are still probably good.

Someone here may know of a good sign of low/hot oil via a place to check and coking, but I am not that person.

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you're that scared of what might have happened and clearly don't believe the people servicing your vehicle, spemd some time and learn to do it yourself. Youre off to a good start, asking the community about it. Now spend some time and learn to address these issues. You'll even save a buck or two.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You didn’t confirm yourself that the oil was low?…the coolant was low?..
Oil level sensor will tell you when you are low…a message appears on the dash.
Well, you did confirm that the guy was a lying con artist when he mentioned “power steering fluid”.
All lies I bet. Get the oil changed somewhere else and sleep easy.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Check the oil once in a while, it's basic car care that someone should have shown you when you were a teenager. That goes for any car, but especially a performance car like the SS.

Reactions: RedKing67 and Brass

·
Super Moderator
7,871 Posts
I would invest in a floor jack and some jackstands. Minimal investment, that along with a 15mm socket or wrench will allow you to do your own oil changes. I don't know your background and don't mean to insult you, but it is simply a matter of pulling the oil drain plug, swapping the filter, and filling it back up. I did mine last week, and even with a set of quick jacks it took longer to put the car in the air than it did to do the actual oil change. As corny as this sounds, when you do things like this, and accomplish tasks like this one or even just adding coolant, it feels good. You are more vested in your car, and are more connected to it's purpose, it's value and it's longevity. I would bet money on having other forum members in NoVa that would be happy to help, perhaps even eager to help another SS owner with the maintenance and care of our beloved cars. If I was closer I'd be happy to offer some pointers, and you are welcome to PM me with any questions that you have.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
From now on either go to the dealer, or find a trustworthy independent to change your oil. Stay away from quick change places with a revolving door of underpaid techs who's sal plan includes commissions on upselling services such as change the power steering fluid on a car with an electric rack. If unwilling to do your own oil, at least learn how to read the dipstick and check once a week.

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
I want to know what kind of power steering fluid it takes 🤔

·
Registered
10 Posts
I personally would not worry about it. I do all my own work but drive a government vehicle for work. They control all maintenance and instruct me when to take it in for service. Every time I take it to the instant oil change place they try to upsell me. Wipers, air filter, various flushes, serpentine belt, etc. And after every question I have to tell them... no, I don't own the vehicle, I don't control the maintenance, just follow the directions. After about the 3rd or 4th upsell attempt they stop asking. I would not trust anything they say without you checking it personally. I would not bother with a flush. Just change the oil, top off the coolant, and keep an eye on it in the future.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
I am quite surprised the "oil change tech" did not let you know your extended warranty was about to expire and they could solve that for you. Don't worry though, he'll be calling tonight during dinner :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, sorry this happened to you but the world is full of crooks and sadly some of them are in the automotive space. You may not be equipped to change your of oil so as others said, check your own oil at a minimum. About once a month or so I check fluids and tire pressure even thought he SS is full of sensors as I just feel better seeing it all for myself. Only takes a few minutes for extra peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
You didn’t confirm yourself that the oil was low?…the coolant was low?..
Oil level sensor will tell you when you are low…a message appears on the dash.
Well, you did confirm that the guy was a lying con artist when he mentioned “power steering fluid”.
All lies I bet. Get the oil changed somewhere else and sleep easy.

Reactions: ESindon

·
Registered
2016 PBM Auto
122 Posts
I'm gonna go check my oil right now. I haven't seen those bald eagles under the hood in a couple weeks anyway.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is why I love this community! You guys rock!! Thanks for some chuckles too. I will try to make it a better habit to check under the hood and the dip stick on a regular basis.

I think this was a push for me to start looking into doing my own oil changes, at least this precious one. Follow-up question to that, what's the best way to dispose of used oil, take it to any mechanics shop?

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
This is why I love this community! You guys rock!! Thanks for some chuckles too. I will try to make it a better habit to check under the hood and the dip stick on a regular basis.

I think this was a push for me to start looking into doing my own oil changes, at least this precious one. Follow-up question to that, what's the best way to dispose of used oil, take it to any mechanics shop?
Any auto parts store, local mechanic, etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts