Chevy SS Forum banner

new tires were NOT on the short list of pending purchases

4K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  good2go 
#1 ·
There is no love lost here for the OE Bridgestones but at 16K miles I was hoping to get another year or two out of them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Once replaced you will be happy to have spent the money early. ?

#6 ·
The OE Bridgestones weren't as horrible as many make them out to be. Yes, they wear prematurely and were very loud. What I liked was the predictibility of the traction. They gripped very well in the dry and gave great feedback for when they were ready to let loose in hard cornering. That said, the Michelin PS4s are much better tires, quieter with better wet/dry grip. The Michelins do let loose much more suddenly in cornering than did the Bridgestones. YMMV.

#8 ·
The OE Bridgestones weren't as horrible as many make them out to be. Yes, they wear prematurely and were very loud. What I liked was the predictibility of the traction. They gripped very well in the dry and gave great feedback for when they were ready to let loose in hard cornering. That said, the Michelin PS4s are much better tires, quieter with better wet/dry grip. The Michelins do let loose much more suddenly in cornering than did the Bridgestones. YMMV.
Hmm . . . is it possible that has something to do with your recent conversion to "Houston stock" ? ;)

#7 ·
I may go with Michelin all season at some point when I need tires.

Never know when I will need to drive North on short notice with my father in Illinois....

But the OEM tires are not bad in my opinion, but seem to be over priced for what they are...

#10 ·
I run Conti DWS 06 tires in cold weather on a set of powder coated 16/17 wheels although my SS has never seen snow or salt. I still run the Bridgestone OEMs in the summer on 14/15 OEM Alcoas and although they are noisy they are a very predictable summer performance tire. So if I were to have a problem with one tire I would look into finding a good used OEM from someone on the forum for a good price. Do you need a front or rear? Just an idea.

Reactions: SilverSport
#11 ·
It’s a front. I have done that once already due to a nail in the shoulder. A forum member sold me a front for a nominal amount. I think at 7 or 8k miles. I could also rotate in the spare. But..... at this point i think I’m over the Bridgestones. My Michelin x-ice’s go on soon so I have a few months to think about it.

I also have a set of Alcoa’s in the basement and need to decide if new summer tires go on those or the 16 rims. I like both honestly and may eventually replace the snow tires with a set of all seasons on the other set of OE rims. I don’t really need snow tires. I just need below freezing temps tires.

#16 ·
Put the Summers on the ALCOA'S!!!

They are MUCH better for those "Spirited" summer driving experiences!!

They look spectacular on my 17 SIM M6, vs the cast painted slugs!! FORGED=stronger also MUCH lighter= less un-sprung weight (around 13lb +/- or so a piece!), and better overall steering response!!!
I agree they are notably better, but (for the record) they are actually only about 5-6 lbs. lighter. Even so, that is a significant improvement and it is detectable.

#17 ·
I agree they are notably better, but (for the record) they are actually only about 5-6 lbs. lighter. Even so, that is a significant improvement and it is detectable.
Well,, I will disagree,,, and agree!!! What U Say????

While swapping them in my driveway,,, one at a time,,, my seat o da pants o meter,,, definitely detected a weight difference in excess of 5 or 6 lbs. Seemed like more than 10 but less than 15. I could have but didn't actually weigh em,,, even though I have the ability to do that in my garage!! The Alcoa's were way easier to lift into place!!

?

#13 ·
If temps are below 50 you should NOT be running summer tires. If you see a lot of snow and below 20 degrees often then winter tires recommended. If not much snow and below 50 the all seasons are great, love my DWS 06 Contis. Black Friday at Discount Tires is one of the best sales BTW.

#19 ·
Those lovely Bridgestone bubbles.....had one on my OEMs and the dealer warranted it. I had another tire pick up a piece of metal as well. Got that one free with my rim/tire protection. Ran those OEMs to over 30k miles and now I’m running DWS06 all seasons. Way better tire than those Bridgestones.

#20 ·
PS4s or Contis seem to be both well rated and well received. I bubbled my 050s at 21K but they had plenty of tread. I drove the PS4s in the cold one day recently before salt and you had to be careful. Love the ideas of using forged Alcoas as summer and powder coating the heavy and rather ugly Casties black or their dark grey insert color for winter abuse duty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.