Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 485 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my new SS, BUT it was delivered with rusty half-painted rotors on the rear disk brakes. The front rotors on the Brimbos are a nice gray color and really enhance the polished aluminum mags. Does anyone else have this issue, and if so, any luck with having the Dealer or Chevy install a better set looking set of rear disk rotors?? Thanks and enjoy your SS. I do..:whatdoyouthink:

· Registered
297 Posts
Are you referring to the face of the rotor where the pad rides? If so, then it is not uncommon for the face to have surface rust after the car has sat outside for a day or two. The longer it sits, the thicker the surface rust gets.

· Premium Member
405 Posts
I love my new SS, BUT it was delivered with rusty half-painted rotors on the rear disk brakes. The front rotors on the Brimbos are a nice gray color and really enhance the polished aluminum mags. Does anyone else have this issue, and if so, any luck with having the Dealer or Chevy install a better set looking set of rear disk rotors?? Thanks and enjoy your SS. I do..:whatdoyouthink:
Mine had rust on the rear rotor hub area, just behind the rim - on both sides. I asked the dealer to take care of it before delivery and they did. The rust was not actually on the rotor itself.

· Super Moderator
5,937 Posts
Mine has rust on the hub as well I checked it on delivery and made comment to service dept. with no action on there part. Guess I will go back and try again new service manager who ran my favorite Corvette tech off and my service writer is now Service Manager at a dealership 40 miles from me now. The tech left the old dealership that went out of business because of this Manager so it's not a new problem he ran everybody else off too.
z51vett
Doug

· Registered
989 Posts
Wow, so many complaints about this "issue".

Look, they're cast iron brake rotors. They'll rust. G8's rotors did this and I never saw such an "uproar" about their rear rotors rusting.

My rear rotors rust. Guess what I do? I just jump in the car and drive the **** thing because it doesn't make a **** bit of difference to how the car drives.

· Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I have mentioned this in some of the other threads on the subject, but the issue might be resolved using an iron removal cleaner like Adams Deep Wheel Cleaner or Dipyourcar's Brake Dust Pro.

· Registered
962 Posts
Keeping mine clean and almost 2,500miles and they don't look bad at all. Looking at most pics the rust looks like the actual brake dust is rusting on top of the hats. Which will happen from not being cleaned off regularly.

Soap and water works wonders........

· Registered
924 Posts
Hey Don,

I am sorry to hear you had this concern upon delivery. I would like to look into this with your Chevrolet dealership for you. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name. Hope to hear from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Erica..

This seems to be common for many of us SS owners! Mine too was rusty at delivery and when I hit 500 miles I took to dealer! Even the GM of the dealership was surprised of the rust! Service Dept said nothing they could do just to keep driving as it was too early to turn such a claim into Warranty?..so I've been driving daily since!..Just turned 6800 mi..(I'm thinking GM knew of the issue as the Corvettes don't have these sort of issues so maybe something can be discussed at the higher level..(I've also heard and read an article where GM started or is considering using another material to avoid rusting issues on rotors? Thanks! Travis

· Registered
663 Posts
I had seen something about this issue/complaint once before. Apparently GM is now using a new FNC (Ferritic Nitro-Carburizing technology) rotor that resists rust, however, I think they are only using them on the front rotors of the Commodore/SS. That is why you are seeing the rust on the rear rotor hat that is typical of 99% of cars with disc brakes.

GM Creates Recipe for Brakes That Shine

· Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,599 Posts
I had seen something about this issue/complaint once before. Apparently GM is now using a new FNC (Ferritic Nitro-Carburizing technology) rotor that resists rust, however, I think they are only using them on the front rotors of the Commodore/SS. That is why you are seeing the rust on the rear rotor hat that is typical of 99% of cars with disc brakes.

GM Creates Recipe for Brakes That Shine
I don't think it is the same thing as what I had done on my Firehawk, but...., Fbodys had a very bad habit of warping brake rotors, especially for people like me. I had to have my front rotors machine twice before 9,000 miles and once on the rears. So, I bought some cheap drilled and slotted rotors for $99.00 for the set of 4 of ebay and shipped them to some place in Texas to have them cryoed...a similar heat and cooldown process. Anyway, never in the rest of the 5 years that I owned that vehicle did the rotors warp again, nor did the hubs show anything other than a painted silver appearance on the hubs.

Anyway, I was going to do the same thing to my SS(when I get it) if I ever had to replace the rotors.

Reactions: 1badss

· Premium Member
111 Posts
Many if not most of us have this problem. Why is GM dealing with this issue via "PM" one at a time?

· Registered
167 Posts
Stopped at a Holden dealer who has about 20 cars, new & used no rust found but the newer cars have a black hub instead of the usual gray so a change has been made.
Chevrolet Customer Care, if the hubs are being replaced in Australia, the same should be done for the US.

· Registered
989 Posts
Many if not most of us have this problem. Why is GM dealing with this issue via "PM" one at a time?
Probably because it's not really a problem? It doesn't effect the operation of the brakes on the car, and as I said before even the G8 had this "problem" and no one complained about it because we all realize what the car is.

Reactions: LiquidR3D

· Registered
823 Posts
Wow, so many complaints about this "issue".

Look, they're cast iron brake rotors. They'll rust. G8's rotors did this and I never saw such an "uproar" about their rear rotors rusting.

My rear rotors rust. Guess what I do? I just jump in the car and drive the **** thing because it doesn't make a **** bit of difference to how the car drives.
You do realize that we are not talking about the "swept" area of the rotors don't you?

After 5 years my G8 had less rust that the rotor hubs than my SS had at 3 months. My Grand Prix GXP never had significant rust on the rotor hubs the entire time I owned it. Actually no car I have ever bought new had that much rust on the rotor hubs.

Also the fact that GM replaced all 4 rotors on my SS under warranty would seem to indicate that they don't think it is normal either.

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/205298-post180.html

1 - 20 of 485 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.