Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start a thread on this.

I am working on some custom emblems for the SS. I started with just the grille, but also decided to make a matching one for the rear.

I took measurements off the factory emblems then made solid models of a modified emblem.

This is the front.

This is the rear.

I am planning to machine out of aluminum and then powdercoated a semi-gloss black. The insets of the SS will either be powdercoated red or handpainted red.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like this idea, but not sold on the lettering. Could you do a direct plug-in replacement for both front & rear as gloss black aluminum without the lettering? Many folks on here have taken to dipping/taping to acheive this look -- I think a quality solid aluminum replacement would get some interest!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would buy front & rears if the quality and detail turns out to be high, and you can afford to sell them at a "reasonable" price (maybe up to $175 a pair, just because NO ONE ELSE sells a replacement billet bowtie for the SS sedan yet).

The commonly avail aftermarket billet bowtie emblems at Chevymall.com, like for the Malibu and Camaro, are ~ $100 - $135 a pair.

One of the biggest cost components to the manufacturers of the aftermarket emblems made by factory approved GM suppliers is the FIXED, lump sum LICENSE FEE (not on a per-part basis, but as a FLAT FEE up front of like "$50,000" (or much more) the manufacturer must pay to GM just to use their trademarked logos for a particular model & year of aftermarket Chevy bowtie. That's obviously why its economic to make them for Silverados, Tahoes and all other high production Chevy models, but NOT economic for the low volume SS. The manufacturer simply cannot sell enough of them at a price people would be willing to pay, to recover that upfront License Fee to GM.

If you plan to make "bootleg" version of the emblems shown in your own shop (or in China, etc), WITHOUT paying GM a license fee, that you can sell on e-bay, craigslist or at swap meets, you could probably sell a lot of them, and be very profitable at well < $50 per emblem.

However in that case you won't be able to sell them on this forum, or probably even be able to post a link here to where ever you do try to sell them. Can't really blame this forum for cooperating with a GM, a key partner/ sponsor...they own the intellectual property.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ugh, I hadn't even thought about the licensing aspect. But GM probably doesn't have a trademark on a "Maltese Cross" shaped emblem. And you could even sell the ones that fail QA for not being the correct shape! :biggrin:
X

·
Registered
843 Posts
You got mad skills.

The second S does not match the first. The straight parts on the upper and lower parts of the second S are longer than on the first.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You got mad skills.

The second S does not match the first. The straight parts on the upper and lower parts of the second S are longer than on the first.
Pretty sure that's just an illusion as I'm sure he is smart enough to sketch it out, copy and move the same "S" over then extrude them both. I think its just the chamfering around the edges and the "peak" in the center that make it look different but I could be wrong.

I use all 2d and 3d programs daily in my business

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your right the SS is off a little. But the chamfers and angles do cause some illusions.

Corrected Front

Corrected rear

My intent is not to mass produce these or to send them to China. I will make a set for my car and a few spares.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hate to be nit-picky, but it looks like the "tail" on the right hand 'S' is just a tad long. It should barely cross the centerline to be symmetrical with the left 'S'
Once I noticed, I just can't stop seeing it :(

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hate to be nit-picky, but it looks like the "tail" on the right hand 'S' is just a tad long. It should barely cross the centerline to be symmetrical with the left 'S'
Once I noticed, I just can't stop seeing it :(
Not a problem. You are correct.

If you look at the one on the back of your car, it is that way too. In fact it actually touches the first S.

·
Registered
843 Posts

If you look at the one on the back of your car, it is that way too. In fact it actually touches the first S.
yep - right on. looking much better!

·
Registered
361 Posts

Indeed it does, I just went and looked at it and proved to myself that I ddin't even really know what it looked like... :blink:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Your right the SS is off a little. But the chamfers and angles do cause some illusions.

Corrected Front

Corrected rear

My intent is not to mass produce these or to send them to China. I will make a set for my car and a few spares.
Those are.... oh, what's the word I'm looking for?..... ugly? No. Boring? No, that's not it either. Oh, I know - awesome! Yep, that's the word I was looking for. Well done. If I hadn't Holdenized mine, I would be hitting you up for a set. That would look outstanding on a PBM.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I get some pieces machined, I will share some pics.

It will be a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I'd get one just for my tool box

·
Super Moderator
13,238 Posts
Welcome to the forum doctajonz!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts