Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted the goodyear exhilarates but couldn't locate the rears anywhere and came across the updated DWS06. They feel like a nice set of tires after driving a few miles home in the rain. I paid $760 for them through tirebuyers.com with their 10% off coupon if you use their installer and get the email code. I thought that was a pretty damn good deal.

20210430_123250.jpg 20210430_123131.jpg

·
Registered
498 Posts
Do you have experience with the old DWS06? Do they still have the annoyingly soft-feeling sidewalls that you can feel in cornering?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Do you have experience with the old DWS06? Do they still have the annoyingly soft-feeling sidewalls that you can feel in cornering?
I wonder what KingKoopa's experience will be with the 'plus' and compared to the previous version(s).

They do, but less so and definitely not as annoying as before. It's a subjective feeling but I've experienced it when comparing to AS3+. I just recently have had the new plus version installed on the OEM wheels that I drove back to back with my AS3+ on my 20" wheels. Between both of my SSs and recent past vehicles, I've used the DWS (liked to 'flat-spot'), DWS06 and now the 'plus'. After the mold release was worn off and and I've put a few hundred miles on them, I've got to say that they do feel a little sharper in the steering and less 'soft' than the previous 06 when cornering aggressively. They still are a quieter option relative to my past and current sets of the Michelin AS3+ and a slightly more compliant ride. The grip is just as much 'there' on cornering and take-off and the break away is much more gradual than what my experience is with the Michelins has been. I'd say these still are the option to consider if you value a much quieter and slightly more compliant ride that can easily handle nasty weather....yet still feel performance oriented. The price is definitely a bonus.
As others have mentioned in other threads, the regular/past 06 has not faired as well in the performance categories with grip/handling/braking as compared to the AS3+ and GY Exhilarate offerings in TireRack testing. I'd be curious to see how the data on this newer 06+ version compares; I think they've worked to improve some of these previous weak points.

Josh

·
Registered
498 Posts
@SGF14 - that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks. My first set of all seasons were DWS06 and they were fine. They delivered decent grip while also having lower limits that I expected from an all-season tire. I've now moved on to AS3+ and the performance is night and day better. I had been hoping to be in a position to get summer tires instead, but honestly I am not feeling compromised performance like I was before. So anyway, your perspective is dead on for my situation.

·
Registered
RotoFab & LMS 93 aggressive + tune|resonator delete|275/35 square set up
196 Posts
I wanted the goodyear exhilarates but couldn't locate the rears anywhere and came across the updated DWS06. They feel like a nice set of tires after driving a few miles home in the rain. I paid $760 for them through tirebuyers.com with their 10% off coupon if you use their installer and get the email code. I thought that was a pretty damn good deal.

View attachment 289435 View attachment 289436
If you’re happy that’s all that matters. I’ll pour one out and say a prayer for your steering feel and maximum grip though. 😂.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
If you’re happy that’s all that matters. I’ll pour one out and say a prayer for your steering feel and maximum grip though. 😂.
I'm trying not to pee on anyone's day yet still remembering the two years my Chevy SS was a numb, dangerous mess. Hopefully the "+" fixes the problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, didn't have the old DWS06

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, maybe? Not going to start a new tire debate thread. To be honest, when I bought the car it had a new set of Kumhos on it and I am just happy to have them off.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, maybe? Not going to start a new tire debate thread. To be honest, when I bought the car it had a new set of Kumhos on it and I am just happy to have them off.
I was just hackin’ on ya, haha. 👍🏻

·
Registered
416 Posts
For the last 100K miles I've been rolling on (245/285) DWS then DWS06 and looks like DWS06+ next round. I wore out the OEMs in 13K miles. I'm getting 50K miles out of the fronts & 40K out of the back before my DWSs turn into Ss only. While the sidewall is notably softer I still see 1G display before the rear tires let me know not to push those back roads any harder.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,587 Posts
We tour in our SS. I just bought a second set of DWS 06s right before the + came out. I’m good with that as the prior set went 62,000 miles & looked like this... View attachment 289448
My set of DW06 has 40k and still going strong with an even wear pattern. Just now feeling a little stiff with some loss in handling 'dar-ty-like'. On the fence about whether to go another round with the DW06+. While I am skeptical, I have considered the PS4's.

Reactions: 14RedHotSS

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My set of DW06 has 40k and still going strong with an even wear pattern. Just now feeling a little stiff with some loss in handling 'dar-ty-like'. On the fence about whether to go another round with the DW06+. While I am skeptical, I have considered the PS4's.
You cant go wrong with either of those.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cool thread; I just got my 2016 Some Like it Hot and at a loss for words on the level of this car. But as for the tires- I have the Goodyear Exhilarates, they look pretty new but to me are loud; alot of growl above 80. And likewise- was thinking on the DWS 06 as the next tire but now have reservations if the car is gonna feel like it's wallowing all over..............

·
Registered
939 Posts
Cool thread; I just got my 2016 Some Like it Hot and at a loss for words on the level of this car. But as for the tires- I have the Goodyear Exhilarates, they look pretty new but to me are loud; alot of growl above 80. And likewise- was thinking on the DWS 06 as the next tire but now have reservations if the car is gonna feel like it's wallowing all over..............
One guy out of many mentions that, and it gives you concern? I‘m on my second set and my son is putting his second set on to his SS soon. Check the hundreds of reviews on one of the online tire sellers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This car is for sure a monster! As far as the new tires in my limited experience, I turned all traction control off last night on the way home. It was pouring rain. I did a 0 - 50 pull from a stop full throttle, didn't lose traction once. Took the next turn rougher than I should have, no loss of traction. They passed my rainy day test for sure.

·
Registered
196 Posts
This car is for sure a monster! As far as the new tires in my limited experience, I turned all traction control off last night on the way home. It was pouring rain. I did a 0 - 50 pull from a stop full throttle, didn't lose traction once. Took the next turn rougher than I should have, no loss of traction. They passed my rainy day test for sure.
Just for a point of reference regarding traction - I’ve run 5.2-5.3 to 60 mph on my EC Sports in cool, rainy conditions. TCS on of course. See pic for a nice 0-60 dragy run on a 39 degree morning with the EC Sports in dry conditions. So, by car testing standards it ran a 4.15 with the industry standard 1 ft roll out factored in. That launch was just mashing throttle off idle. Hook n go. Just food for thought, they would be useless in any snow but they most definitely do just fine into the mid-upper 20s in my experience.

·
Registered
196 Posts
DWS06 have a following for sure. They aren’t bad at all, in fact, they’re prob one of the best AS options for those who put more weighting on comfort and light snow capabilities. If, however, you value direct steering response and higher ultimate grip then they aren’t a top contender by objective testing results, never mind what I say. But I’m the same guy who loves the dust making, track ready OEM Brembo pads, so there’s that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts