Chevy SS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The one in this post? Looks similar to me. Am I missing something?

Go to post "#24" in this thread to view the new 2020 version of this recall.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
OK now compare that one post #24 from 2020) to the parts list in the 2017 recall that is linked in the #39 post of this thread.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Steve, the one you posted (March 2017) was NOT the official recall procedure. It looks more like a TSB type document: " #17-H-009: Electrical Power Steering (EPS) - Loss of Assistance - (Mar 13, 2017)" This not what a dealer would have used for the recall.

The previous official recall procedure was: " Product Safety Recall 17248 Loss of Steering Assist
Reference Number: A162070110 Release Date: August 2017 ". (and it has the abbreviated parts list as you've shown)

The "Recall 17248" is what was clearly written on my RO for the recall work.

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
That’s a good thing then, right? Won’t they reimburse you those costs?

It’s a bummer to have to pay for failure caused by a defect. Hopefully this will make it right.
They said no because it was a different issue (even though the recall details didn’t support that theory)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
There is no charge if your car is recalled.

The problem is that some SS's were NOT recalled even though they had the faulty rack part number. Thus, if the rack failed on one of these cars the owner had to pay for the repair as it wasn't a recall

The good news, is that all those owners will now get reimbursed for the repair. (That is if the car has now been placed on the recall list.)
Ok. So my car was part of the original recall, but the rack didn’t need to be replaced according to the inspection. The rack subsequently failed, so I had to replace the rack at 36k miles - which is absurd, but whatever. GM and the dealer struck up a deal where GM paid for part of the repair and I paid the rest. Fast forward 10 months and I get a recall notice in the mail telling me that my rack needs to be replaced because it could fail. I called GM and they said ‘oh no, you don’t get reimbursed because this is a different issue’

WTAF

I’m so over it at this point. I waste money on dumber things.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
It's a waste your time calling them.

Check out the recall notice sent to you. It should say what to do if you have already paid for the repair.

i.e. Fill out the reimbursement form and send it in
Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this done under the 2017 version. Not a great experience as the Dealer kept the car for 2 days on the first visit and I had to take it back 2 additional times. On mine I noticed the self-parking feature would not work after the recall work and the steering feel never changed regardless of what Mode I selected. Took two additional visits and a test drive to demo the problem but they eventually figured it out. I definitely recommend checking these two things before leaving the Dealer's lot if you have this done. Never did get a full explanation but think there are two modules that have to reprogrammed/reconnected when the rack is replaced.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
To help clarify this for everyone (It is confusing). Here are all three together:

Steve, thank you very much for this compilation.
I wrote an email to my service manager alerting him to my appointment and requesting, among other things, that they verify that all listed parts on the recall have been ordered and will be on hand and used for the job.

I do have a question for you or anyone who knows: Why is there only one front lower control arm bolt and nut required?
1 Front Lower Control Arm Front Bolt 92139183
1 Front Lower Control Arm Front Nut 11609283

Only one side needs to be disconnected to provide access, or is this a mistake?
Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yoram,
Let us/me how your appointment goes as I will be getting mine done in the next few weeks. I would image Steve is your service guy at the local Chevy dealership. If so, I’ve dealt with him once so far and seems to be on the up and up.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yoram,
Let us/me how your appointment goes as I will be getting mine done in the next few weeks. I would image Steve is your service guy at the local Chevy dealership. If so, I’ve dealt with him once so far and seems to be on the up and up.
Steve is Steve Sheffield, the originator of post #46. Still hoping someone can clarify my BOM question.
I plan to verify the part count they have on hand before committing to the job, so would appreciate some input.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts