Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The original service bulletin calls for the engine to be supported by a fixture and the subframe lowered slightly to provide appropriate access for R&R of the steering gear. The full procedure may be detailed in the Documents forum. Can't remember for sure, but there was a lengthy document that included color photos and step by step procedure.
There were some claims that the engine could be raised enough to avoid lowering the subframe. Don't know whether that was ever verified and substantiated.

ETA: Didn't find it in Documents. Probably buried somewhere in Warranty Issues forum if it even made the trip to the new platform.
Martin, thanks a lot for clarifying. 2.7 hrs sounds a little ambitious, but I'm no wizz tech.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Unfortunately, regardless of what the recall procedure says, or what you specifically request (even if it is what the factory service manual says for that matter) the method used on your car could very likely to be some hybrid of methodology that the particular tech working on your car has cooked up. I went to great lengths to sleuth out the official procedure, discussed it with both the service writer and service manager, and ensured that all one-time-use hardware was present at the dealer (so it could be completed while I waited), but it didn't matter one whit apparently. The tech on duty that day just did it how he wanted to do it in the end.

I was billed for numerous nuts and bolts that are clearly called out for replacement (if you used the procedure shown in the service manual), but they were never installed, as they claimed they weren't necessary. Since I had them pre-order them to be sure they'd be available, they charged me for them anyway. I didn't catch it initially and had to go back to the dealer and collect all those leftover nuts and bolts. They weren't going to charge me for them and not give them to me! The explanation (i.e. excuse) for why they didn't use them was that "there's more than one way to skin a cat". This was from coming what was supposed to be the "best" service department in the bay area. Needless to say, it was not a pleasant experience.
I wish you better luck in your endeavors with Wombat.
This just makes me cringe. What a bummer so many service departments are like that.

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts
Martin, thanks a lot for clarifying. 2.7 hrs sounds a little ambitious, but I'm no wizz tech.
My experience has been that book time is usually about 1/2 to 2/3 the amount that a good tech really needs to do the job right.
One caveat - techs at good dealerships have access to special tools that contribute greatly to the job which poor or care-less dealerships (as @good2go experienced) don't provide and the average private shop can't afford.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
So my car is part of the recall.

I was under the impression that if you have a car that is under recall especially for a safety issue that there is no charge for the parts and labor.

But my impression from this thread is that some people have been charged for the previous steering issue? Is that correct?

Also, I found the recall document:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
There is no charge if your car is recalled.

The problem is that some SS's were NOT recalled even though they had the faulty rack part number. Thus, if the rack failed on one of these cars the owner had to pay for the repair as it wasn't a recall

The good news, is that all those owners will now get reimbursed for the repair. (That is if the car has now been placed on the recall list.)

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts
You are correct - no charge for the work if this recall comes up on your VIN.
There were some that had failed racks, but their VIN was not on the recall list due to some crappy glitch at GM. They had to foot the bill but if their VIN is on the current list they should be due a reimbursement when requested.

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts
Sorry Steve - typing at the same time you were.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
You are correct - no charge for the work if this recall comes up on your VIN.
There were some that had failed racks, but their VIN was not on the recall list due to some crappy glitch at GM. They had to foot the bill but if their VIN is on the current list they should be due a reimbursement when requested.
Cool. Thanks. Well my car's vin is definitely on the list. I may call the local dealership and inquire on it. Maybe see if I can setup an appointment.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

I was under the impression that if you have a car that is under recall especially for a safety issue that there is no charge for the parts and labor.

But my impression from this thread is that some people have been charged for the previous steering issue? Is that correct?

Did anyone else notice all the new EXTRA "one time use nuts and bolts" that are called for in the new 2020 version of the recall ? It is a lot. Compare it to the one in 2017 and see.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Did anyone else notice all the new EXTRA "one time use nuts and bolts" that are called for in the new 2020 version of the recall ? It is a lot. Compare it to the one in 2017 and see.
Oh yeah, although it's been too long since I had it done to remember if that list is complete or not.
See, that was what I came up against when I went to have it done last year. I researched the procedure and found there was a bunch of one-time-use hardware that was not included in the recall kit. When I talked with the service writer, he insisted that everything required was in the kit. I had to basically hold his hand and walk him through the service manual to convince him that there were several parts not included. He still pushed me off onto the service manager to have him try and convince me that they weren't necessary. After he and I went through the procedure in the manual together, he agreed although the manual did call them out, he would cover just one pair of nuts, and said all the rest were ok to reuse, regardless of what the manual said. That was how I ended up paying for the extra parts, because I insisted they pre-order them into stock and use them on my car regardless. They agreed, but said I would have to pay extra for them . . . which, of course, I did . . . and then of course, it turns out they didn't even use them in the end anyway.
Hopefully, people will get it done properly with the TSB backing them up now.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
This just makes me cringe. What a bummer so many service departments are like that.
Like I said, this was supposed to be THE go-to place for performance work in the bay area. I knew I was hosed when I looked in on the car in the service bay and found no sort of engine hoist or support being used besides a screw jack placed under the oil pan; something the service manual strictly forbids! I was just sick, I just thought "what a bunch of hacks". Too late to do anything about it at that point though. :(

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I had my rack replacement done under warranty about a year and a half ago. I took my car to a dealer about 40 miles North of where I live, just because this dealer had done several already with no complaints. The service writer told me he only lets one tech do these replacements, and it takes about a day to complete, because the tech is a lead, and has to help other techs with other jobs.

My only issue was, I discovered about a week or two later, the radiator was no longer in the top supports that secure it to the front frame. I was installing my Rotofab CAI, and noticed the radiator was touching the Rotofab housing, then realized what the issue was. It was a simple fix, but it could have caused a big problem, go fast enough and the radiator would lean back and hit belts and pulleys.

I was lucky and never experienced a steering failure.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Oh yeah, although it's been too long since I had it done to remember if that list is complete or not.
See, that was what I came up against when I went to have it done last year. I researched the procedure and found there was a bunch of one-time-use hardware that was not included in the recall kit. When I talked with the service writer, he insisted that everything required was in the kit. I had to basically hold his hand and walk him through the service manual to convince him that there were several parts not included. He still pushed me off onto the service manager to have him try and convince me that they weren't necessary. After he and I went through the procedure in the manual together, he agreed although the manual did call them out, he would cover just one pair of nuts, and said all the rest were ok to reuse, regardless of what the manual said. That was how I ended up paying for the extra parts, because I insisted they pre-order them into stock and use them on my car regardless. They agreed, but said I would have to pay extra for them . . . which, of course, I did . . . and then of course, it turns out they didn't even use them in the end anyway.
Hopefully, people will get it done properly with the TSB backing them up now.
Yep the parts list of One Time Use parts is huge on the 2020 recall compared to the 2017 recall that only listed the new rack and 4 new bolts. Not good since it is the same repair.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I don't see that.

Attached is the 2017 repair instruction showing a similar list of parts.

Yep the parts list of One Time Use parts is huge on the 2020 recall compared to the 2017 recall that only listed the new rack and 4 new bolts. Not good since it is the same repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

“General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists...”

Interesting word, “decided.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Cool. Thanks. Well my car's vin is definitely on the list. I may call the local dealership and inquire on it. Maybe see if I can setup an appointment.
That's what I did. Will call them again tomorrow to remind them of the single-use fasteners.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The one in this post? Looks similar to me. Am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Pinetree can you also post the new 2020 recall here so the parts list can be compared ?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts