Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

Registered
Thanks for the heads up. Looked up mine and it is on the list. 馃槴
Just scheduled the work with the dealer for June 9.

Super Moderator
Maybe this wiil take care of all of the "gap" vehicles!
I think we'll let both threads run for now with cross links between the two.

Registered
I finally made it, up until today my SS was not on recall list for this issue so I guess I was threading the gap for 4+ years. Honestly I was hopping to keep off of this list, a bit too invasive surgery for my tastes.

Registered
I finally made it, up until today my SS was not on recall list for this issue so I guess I was threading the gap for 4+ years. Honestly I was hopping to keep off of this list, a bit too invasive surgery for my tastes.
My exact sentiments.

Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
Oh well, doesn't include '14's.

Registered
My SS lives a pampered life, maybe I'll slather some dielectric "magic salve" grease in the connector? Well, not going to worry about it until the paper letter comes anyway.

Registered
Oh well, doesn't include '14's.
I got a notice for my 14

Never mind the fact that I paid to have my first rack replaced

Premium Member
I got a notice for my 14

Never mind the fact that I paid to have my first rack replaced
That鈥檚 a good thing then, right? Won鈥檛 they reimburse you those costs?

It鈥檚 a bummer to have to pay for failure caused by a defect. Hopefully this will make it right.

Registered
My local stealership just called me about mine, set an appointment for 9:00 AM on Friday May 22nd. I don't think they know what's involved, yet again. She says it pays 2.1 hrs and involves a software update and alignment. I'm sorry, but but an alignment isn't needed for a software update, and changing the rack and a new alignment takes a lot longer than 2 hours, and then there's the software update, it probably takes an hour or two by itself.
The only good thing I see coming from this is it gets a new steering rack, then they screw up the alignment and it never drives right again.

Registered
So far my April 2015 build is still an orphan. The notice stated that the recall begins 6/22/20 so maybe this is still early.

Super Moderator
My local stealership just called me about mine, set an appointment for 9:00 AM on Friday May 22nd. I don't think they know what's involved, yet again. She says it pays 2.1 hrs and involves a software update and alignment. I'm sorry, but but an alignment isn't needed for a software update, and changing the rack and a new alignment takes a lot longer than 2 hours, and then there's the software update, it probably takes an hour or two by itself.
The only good thing I see coming from this is it gets a new steering rack, then they screw up the alignment and it never drives right again.
Actually the original recall allows 2.7 hrs labor to inspect as required, replace the steering gear, perform a wheel alignment, reprogram the power steering control module and steering wheel angle sensor centering.

Registered
Do I understand correctly that the engine has to be disconnected from its mounts and held by an engine crane so the cross member can be lowered to be able to access the steering gear?

Registered
Do I understand correctly that the engine has to be disconnected from its mounts and held by an engine crane so the cross member can be lowered to be able to access the steering gear?
That's what I remember the original recall saying, but some techs supposedly found a way to change the rack without jacking the engine up. I guess we'll have to see.

Registered
My '15 still has no recalls listed. Steering rack or other. Guess that's a good thing. B.

Registered
Thanks. My understanding is that the cross member and engine must be separated to gain access to the steering gear. So I suppose you can support the engine in place and lower the cross member or keep the cross member in place and raise the engine.... (?)
If any of our experts can confirm or clarify the process it would be appreciated.
I'd like to know what's awaiting Wombat. I want to be armed with some knowledge when heading to the dealer.

Super Moderator
The original service bulletin calls for the engine to be supported by a fixture and the subframe lowered slightly to provide appropriate access for R&R of the steering gear. The full procedure may be detailed in the Documents forum. Can't remember for sure, but there was a lengthy document that included color photos and step by step procedure.
There were some claims that the engine could be raised enough to avoid lowering the subframe. Don't know whether that was ever verified and substantiated.

ETA: Didn't find it in Documents. Probably buried somewhere in Warranty Issues forum if it even made the trip to the new platform.

Registered
Thanks. My understanding is that the cross member and engine must be separated to gain access to the steering gear. So I suppose you can support the engine in place and lower the cross member or keep the cross member in place and raise the engine.... (?)
If any of our experts can confirm or clarify the process it would be appreciated.
I'd like to know what's awaiting Wombat. I want to be armed with some knowledge when heading to the dealer.
Unfortunately, regardless of what the recall procedure says, or what you specifically request (even if it is what the factory service manual says for that matter) the method used on your car could very likely to be some hybrid of methodology that the particular tech working on your car has cooked up. I went to great lengths to sleuth out the official procedure, discussed it with both the service writer and service manager, and ensured that all one-time-use hardware was present at the dealer (so it could be completed while I waited), but it didn't matter one whit apparently. The tech on duty that day just did it how he wanted to do it in the end.

I was billed for numerous nuts and bolts that are clearly called out for replacement (if you used the procedure shown in the service manual), but they were never installed, as they claimed they weren't necessary. Since I had them pre-order them to be sure they'd be available, they charged me for them anyway. I didn't catch it initially and had to go back to the dealer and collect all those leftover nuts and bolts. They weren't going to charge me for them and not give them to me! The explanation (i.e. excuse) for why they didn't use them was that "there's more than one way to skin a cat". This was from coming what was supposed to be the "best" service department in the bay area. Needless to say, it was not a pleasant experience.
I wish you better luck in your endeavors with Wombat.

Registered
@good2go, thanks a bunch for the detailed heads-up. Great point about the one-use fasteners. Forgot to check with the service advisor with whom I scheduled the job about that. Will do it first thing Monday morning and will tell them that I will be calling the day before to confirm they have the fasteners available and ready to install before I bring Wombat in. Cheers.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts