Chevy SS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gone to a new home.
This engine cover was custom painted by a local Houston artist, for my 2017 OBM SS. I kept it but have no use for it now. It was seen regularly at Houston Coffee and Cars events so you might have seen it in person, and in case it isn't obvious, this item and I am in Houston, TX. The artist first coated the cover so it is smooth, not the factory dimpled finish. Then he came up with his one off design and hand air brushed it with what he called, a heat resistant paint. This is no applique or decal but real airbrush work. There is no damage and this was on my OBM for miles without any peeling or apparent heat damage. Wipes clean.

You don't want to know what he wanted for this, what I ended up paying him, but I want $275 for it through Paypal and I pick up the Paypal fees. Local pickup is preferred but I do have a buddy that will do excellent packing and shipping. That cost will be split 50/50 with you and that price depends on where you want it sent.
Bag Luggage and bags Hood Art Rectangle
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Sleeve
Camouflage Luggage and bags Bag Military camouflage Rectangle

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hood Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Love it. I was digging this one for a while.......from Walkinshaw Site.

Reactions: RedhotFLSS

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 292750

Love it. I was digging this one for a while.......from Walkinshaw Site.
Interesting. I'm not an artist, well I played in a Houston rock band in the 70's, but put a paint brush in my hand and about all I'm good for is walls and trim work. I let my guy go without any conceptual restrictions. He surprised me for sure and I never expected where his head took him. His price tag also surprised me but I got him down to about 6.5 times what I want for it. Original art is never cheap.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
This engine cover was custom painted by a local Houston artist, for my 2017 OBM SS. I kept it but have no use for it now. It was seen regularly at Houston Coffee and Cars events so you might have seen it in person, and in case it isn't obvious, this item and I am in Houston, TX. The artist first coated the cover so it is smooth, not the factory dimpled finish. Then he came up with his one off design and hand air brushed it with what he called, a heat resistant paint. This is no applique or decal but real airbrush work. There is no damage and this was on my OBM for miles without any peeling or apparent heat damage. Wipes clean.

You don't want to know what he wanted for this, what I ended up paying him, but I want $275 for it through Paypal and I pick up the Paypal fees. Local pickup is preferred but I do have a buddy that will do excellent packing and shipping. That cost will be split 50/50 with you and that price depends on where you want it sent. View attachment 292737 View attachment 292738 View attachment 292739
OP:
Are those purple painted highlights? Can't tell on my device. If so can swing by next month. Classmate just retired from ExxonMobil lives in the Woodlands...

GLWS if it goes sooner!

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP:
Are those purple painted highlights? Can't tell on my device. If so can swing by next month. Classmate just retired from ExxonMobil lives in the Woodlands...

GLWS if it goes sooner!
More like maroon. Red swinging towards purple and some rose color between pink and red in small amount. Nothing I would say is really straight up purple, like SS Alchemy Purple. Then lots of yellow and orange in the flames and middle section, and there are also some green tints in the flames area. This guy hit on most every color except blue. This looked good on my RPGM SS too.

Reactions: Drone

·
Registered
91 Posts
David, best luck with the sale. I’m surprised the purchaser of your OBM didn’t want it. Big mistake!

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David, best luck with the sale. I’m surprised the purchaser of your OBM didn’t want it. Big mistake!
I still had my RPGM at the time, so I kept it. If it doesn't sell, it will look nice on the garage wall. Garages need original artwork, don't they?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Who was the HTX artist? I have rotofab covers that I purchased second hand on here that are Heron White SS on black backing, but have wondered about a custom job too.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The "artist" was Gabe Randall, who also did the Ceramic Pro paint protection projects on both of my SS's. Gabe was not cheap but he was a perfectionist, within reason, and definitely talented. And he truly is an artits in my mind as he comes up with interesting approaches, designs and results, on any project he takes on. I dare say there are not many coating and/or visual design projects Gabe cannot do an outstanding job on.

I haven't talked with Gabe in about 1-2 years and last we talked, he had quit doing his own thing and had gotten a job in the oil & gas industry around town somewhere. I did try to call him about 6 months ago to get back my Roland XP60 he borrowed but the call didn't go through for whatever reason. And to my knowledge he shut down his company, Grand Designz so I'm not sure how to get hold of him. Let me know if you can't find him but really want to get in touch with him and I may just drop by his house over the weekend. I still want my XP60 back so I have other reasons to get hold of Gabe.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
I hope you do - that Roland isn't a cheap unit!

Neat cover. I'd buy it but I just picked up some used rotofab covers a while back and I am selling my second SS.

That's a great price.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope you do - that Roland isn't a cheap unit!

Neat cover. I'd buy it but I just picked up some used rotofab covers a while back and I am selling my second SS.

That's a great price.
Yeah my XP60 also has a strings soundcard and another soundcard I can't remember at the moment. When new that all added up to an expensive synth but used these days they are about $400 which is why I didn't mind lending it to Gabe. But I want it back so my girls (7 and 9) can play around with it and see if they are into keys or not.

I do price my sales aggressively and do not dicker on price. I think I paid Gabe $1800 and he wanted $2600 and for the time and materials, plus his artistic value, it was worth it. Quality work is not cheap and I buy and sell based on value not what the market will bear. I'm good with keeping it if it doesn't sell because there will never be another like it. That money won't make or break me which keeps me entirely unmotivated as a seller.

Reactions: FMOSRacing

·
Registered
790 Posts
pm sent

Reactions: MIEngineer

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to update this post to say that it looks like Kevin will be getting this cover. We just have to complete the shipping and payment, Kevin is graciously waiting on me, then I will show this as sold. Looks like this cover is going to a great home (another double 2017 SS owner) and SS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.