Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Costco now has a Dexos approved 5W30 Full Synthetic

Some research shows it to be the same supplier as a lot of retailers [not by Mobil, however].

TWO 5qt jugs --- $25.

Under the Kirkland name.

I plan to run it in several vehicles after my stock of M1 runs out and the turbo 4 cylinder and LS swap vehicles will be up and running / driving.

·
Premium Member
14,014 Posts
Probably Warren.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep - Looked at the containers I bought and it is Warren Distribution, who makes it for several retailers as store brand oil, even Amazon apparently.

However, at $25 it edges out a majority of the others. Apparently Costco will even drop it to your door for $30 plus tax online.

My last oil change day for my parents cars, and ours, was around 46 quarts....M1 [not including the project cars, either].

So this will be substantial.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Interesting. I was at my local Costco last night and did not see it, of course we go down every damn aisle regardless of what we actually have on our list. I did stock up on JD, vodka, and irish creme :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
If I weren't so anal with my preferred Red Line 5W/20, I would save a bundle on the Costco deal.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If I weren't so anal with my preferred Red Line 5W/20, I would save a bundle on the Costco deal.
Agreed. I wouldn’t use anything else after how much it quieted down the valvetrain clatter in my cammed engine. I always thought these “high end” oil were a waste until I tried it. I use it in all our vehicles now.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Agreed. I wouldn’t use anything else after how much it quieted down the valvetrain clatter in my cammed engine. I always thought these “high end” oil were a waste until I tried it. I use it in all our vehicles now.
I noticed the same thing on my stock engine. Think I'll switch back to it next change.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
So I have a family friend hitting me up this morning regarding Amsoil and or Wix or Amsoil filters. Guess he is a dealer and can get better prices. I have always used Valvoline full synthetic in either my 15 Silverado 1500 or now this SS.

Anyone have any input good or bad on this as a possibility?

Thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
752 Posts
I sure would buy that oil if the rebates stop coming. Just bought a 5qt jug of Penzoil Platinum for 68 cents. $22.68 at Walmart with a $22 rebate/card from Shell.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I sure would buy that oil if the rebates stop coming. Just bought a 5qt jug of Penzoil Platinum for 68 cents. $22.68 at Walmart with a $22 rebate/card from Shell.

Nice! Just bought some last week. Claim submitted.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
So I have a family friend hitting me up this morning regarding Amsoil and or Wix or Amsoil filters. Guess he is a dealer and can get better prices. I have always used Valvoline full synthetic in either my 15 Silverado 1500 or now this SS.

Anyone have any input good or bad on this as a possibility?

Thanks for any feedback
Amsoil, while one of the “premium” synthetics, is not Dexos certified. It supposedly meets all the Dexos specs but Amsoil has not paid to have it certified by GM. So, potential risk of giving GM an easy “out” if you have an oil-related engine issue (unlikely) while under warranty. Out of warranty I personally wouldn’t have any concerns with Amsoil, but I don’t see the point of paying extra for something different than the manufactures recommended oil (Mobil 1) for a basically stock engine that is not being beat on daily.

Wix filters always get high marks. They also make the Napa gold and platinum filters and many OEM filters apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts