Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I installed the brake pad shims on my 2015 as directed by the TSB to eliminate the squeal. It worked for a while but the squeal is back. I have purchased EBC Red Stuff ceramic pads and plan to install this weekend. For those who have done this, do I need to put the TSB shims in with the new pads, or just the pads by themselves?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I would use the shims but also use a liberal amount of good brake grease, either the copper or synthetic. The whole idea here is to break the metal to metal bond that allows vibrations to travel from the rotor/pad through the caliper which translates into the squeal you hear.

·
Registered
743 Posts
tsb for shims were for oem pads, ebc pads will have their own shim already on the pad. i would not double shim.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
597 Posts
When you added the shims on your gm pads, did you use the gm lubricant at the right places? I did both the shims and the lubricant in the right places and haven't had the school bus squeal. I did this on my ss and my belair, I ended up ordering like 8 packets of the lubricant to make it worth it due to the ridiculous shipping price. Granted, I swap calipers more than pads, but no squeal for me lol!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you added the shims on your gm pads, did you use the gm lubricant at the right places? I did both the shims and the lubricant in the right places and haven't had the school bus squeal. I did this on my ss and my belair, I ended up ordering like 8 packets of the lubricant to make it worth it due to the ridiculous shipping price. Granted, I swap calipers more than pads, but no squeal for me lol!
I did, but I only used the amount that was in the TSB (1 or 2 packets?...it’s been a while). It seemed like it wasn’t enough at the time. Maybe I’ll order a bunch more and slather it on there before I drop $300 on new, performance pads. Thanks!

·
Registered
743 Posts
if you wash your wheels a lot you will have to clean and apply yearly or sooner i have noticed, doesn't matter the pad you run.

Reactions: jonnylaw

·
Registered
597 Posts
Actually, I don't use more than a packet per pair of rear calipers. You really have to milk the packet to cover all 8 edges, but it's there. I do add a standard synthetic brake grease at the pins and piston to pad interface, force of habit there I suppose. Sounds like you pretty much have it down, but still have the noise. Darn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts