Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced a battery on my sister's car and knowing my 2015 has the OEM (but starting fine and showing no signs of failure) I was thinking of getting a new battery in the Spring (mine will spend the Winter on the Battery Tender Plus)

Looking at the choices out there I found many batteries that all seemed to look the same (same case and handles on top) as well as having the same CCA, CA, AH and RC as well as warranty (3 years 100% replacement 5 years total) but the prices were quite different...

One battery I found which looked and was rated at the same as all the rest but had a 4 year 100% replacement and 5 year total...it was from Pep Boys and marked Champion...has anyone purchased one of these???...I've seen the local Pep Boys go through a lot of change during this Covid 19 time and honestly not bought much there unless on sale...the price listed during their current sale is about $6 higher than Walmart's EverStart Maxx which is the lowest priced battery that meets all the requirements...

any thoughts for battery purchase would be appreciated...it seems to me that the same case, specs and warranty should cause me to buy the best price with the easiest warranty (although I have never had to warranty a car battery)...

the Walmart EverStart Maxx is the least expensive, the Pep Boys Champion is the next least expensive and it has the best warranty by 12 months (Interstate shows one with a 48 month warranty but is about $125 more expensive than the Champion marked battery)...

Thanks,

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
So funny enough

Johnson Controls makes a bunch of the aftermarket batteries for WalMart, Champion brand, and TONS of others.

I have seen them all. The best price I found locally was through Costco for an interstate FYI. Just put one in the G8 [again], and my Avalanche DD

Majority of what I have owned or found has been made by the big JC.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
There was a past thread on batteries that I cannot find right now, in short there are really only 2-3 companies that actually manufacture batteries then they are "branded" for various wholesaler and retailers.

From memory: Johnson Controls (JCI) is probably the biggest. They make AC Delco, Duralast, Optima, Die Hard, and others. Exide I believe was a separate company and make Interstate, Everstart, and others.

I went with an Interstate from Costco last November, just under $160. So far no issues at all.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more details.

·
Registered
306 Posts
East Penn is another. I only know this because they're the ones that make the Deka brand that I buy locally.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
There was a past thread on batteries that I cannot find right now, in short there are really only 2-3 companies that actually manufacture batteries then they are "branded" for various wholesaler and retailers.

From memory: Johnson Controls (JCI) is probably the biggest. They make AC Delco, Duralast, Optima, Die Hard, and others. Exide I believe was a separate company and make Interstate, Everstart, and others.

I went with an Interstate from Costco last November, just under $160. So far no issues at all.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more details.
Everstart is still JC. :)

Reactions: rjcalif

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
There a several 'Which Battery' threads. @SilverSport, they shouldn't be hard to find, will have enough suggestions to make you dizzy, and will get you the information you seek quicker than waiting for posts here.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Johnson Controls sold the business some time ago...to Clarios...but I agree with what you've all written here...I will have to stop in Costco because the Interstate Costco online look up says they don't carry a battery for our SS sedans...

Thanks All

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There a several 'Which Battery' threads. @SilverSport, they shouldn't be hard to find, will have enough suggestions to make you dizzy, and will get you the information you seek quicker than waiting for posts here.

...and I've read several but the information is old...If they are all the same (most all the same I'm not an Optima fan) I will let price be my guide but I was most curious about the Champion from Pep Boys (I'm just not sure they will be around in 4 years) or if anyone found one at Costco...

thanks again,

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read enough negative press about Pep Boys online (battery warranty specific) to make me stop considering buying a Champion labeled battery for that additional 12 months of 100% replacement warranty...I'm also no convinced Pep Boys will still be around...

second choice battery with identical warranty, CCA, CA, AH and RC is Walmart's EverStart Maxx unless the Costco Interstate shows in the flesh despite not showing up on their search function...

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any sales at the local dealerships too but they have never been close in price to buying and installing the battery myself...

feel free to reply if you have any thoughts or experience you care to share...

Bill

·
Premium Member
14,543 Posts
Rock auto list four batteries for the SS. Including the ACDelco Gold/Professional for a very reasonable $160. (+Shipping $20)

Remember the battery must be:

OE replacement; battery is vented to outside of vehicle; AGM Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA)

Don't forget the 5% Rock coupon!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
My battery hit 6 years installed this month. Never failed to start but after a few of those weird bugs like rear view camera all the way to work, key fob not in vehicle when in pocket, and the ever popular radio shut down.
Never checked percentage but 6 years is pretty darn good. Advance had the Die Hard on hand, matches OEM spec and perfect fit. Left charging last night and green light this morning. Acura sold me a under charged battery on my car. First time i let car sit shortly after was first time i was stuck out in years. Thankful for the reminders we get here on the forum.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
I'm using the Duracell AGM 94R - purchased at Sams Club. Car originally had dual batteries to support police equipment, removed right-side battery & wiring in it's entirety. The source/manufacturer isn't clear. Original battery (left side) was working fine, but was 7+ years old. Purchase included core return for best price/total outlay.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Mine is coming up on six years old which means I keep an eye on it and test it regularly. My last test (in Oct) showed a State of Heath (SOH) reading of 62%.

p.s. Batteries should still be OK down to a SOH of 40%. But to be safe I will replace mine when it hits 50%.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys...I had forgotten about Rock Auto for batteries...looks to be identical to the others but the Rock Auto price, 5% discount and shipping rates put the Delco battery right at or near the price of anywhere else...good to know

Bill

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
479 Posts
Reactions: wilkin4

·
Premium Member
14,543 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts

This is the Odyssey that's specific to our SS (according to their website). In my experience, Odyssey makes some of the best batteries there are. When I had my Subaru WRX I swapped out the stock battery with their PC680 MJT motorcycle battery. It saved me 40 pounds on the nose of the vehicle, and even though I was powering a whole car with it (2.0L flat 4 with 8:1 compression, 400 watt stereo) it lasted 5 years.

Then I bought another one. Then my ex wife totaled my WRX. I'm going with Odyssey unless someone knows why I shouldn't.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
This is somewhat on topic, how do you get a battery warrantied that it bought from Rock Auto? I don't buy much from there because I can never get anything warrantied. I was going to buy the Delco battery from them but when I put it in my shopping car it was $160 and then it jumped to $198 so screw that. I might just get the Super Start Maxx from Wal-Mart because at least I could get it warrantied at any Wal-Mart. The Duracell at Sam's has better reviews but I don't have a membership there so if I had someone buy it for me I would probably not be able to warranty if needed.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts