Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a perfect SS as a daily. Drove it 2 times and looked at every square inch of it for an hour or more on 3 visits. Was selling my low mile PERFECT 2007 Trailblazer this Sat. On Tuesday I let them run my credit, get a good rate (on a 2014) and all was well. They said it would be no problem to hold it until Sat. I said I could come up and give a deposit if it was absolutely needed or if someone looked like they were going to try and outbid me. Nah, no problem.

Well, they call me after the fact yesterday that they sold it out from under me. I chewed on everyone up the chain, but it did no good. I felt sorry for the TBSS buyer when I told him I could sell now. I only considered selling my TBSS for this SS. There aren't any more in the country even close to the $22,700 price agreed on. There is one, but it is black.

So, it was fun doing research. It is a fascinating car. I love cars with cool history. I have owned a GTR and M5 and several M3 and a few C4 ZR-1. I like cars with depth. If I find one at $23k in this kind of condition near MEmphis TN then fine. But, I doubt it. You can't miss the car on Car Gurus. It is the highest mile/ Lowest price. It is RED, the exact color I wanted.

·
Registered
796 Posts
sorry :(

dealers will do exactly that.
hate to say it but verbal is not worthing anything to them, and even deposits dont matter much if they have
another buyer at a higher price.

for cars such as these, buyers really cant have them held or wait even a day or more.
There is less than 13K of these in america.

there are others out there but the price you mentioned sounds tough to find elsewhere.

ppp

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
There is always a deal to be had.

Keep looking - the pay off is worth the effort.

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. I have had my own issues with dealerships dropping the ball, i'm not going to get started there because that is a black hole of good vs bad dealership experiences.

Best of luck but keep looking. My buddy scored a 15 locally that was a sub 50k mile car for a steal, i even looked at it to drive and flip [which means i'd have a third, and it would never "sell" and I would end up divorced :laugh::wink]

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I feel your pain, not the first time this has happened. The cars are out there you’ll just have to be patient for one that meets you desire price/mileage and then be ready to get the deal done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Before throwing out the baby with the bathwater; stay on this forum, and you WILL see an SS come up for sale. Often, they are tastefully modded with extras. I think the average listings show up about twice a month! Granted, you won't see one priced in the $20k's, but you will find one that's in good shape.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You could buy the black one and wrap it any color you want.
There is a 2015 with less than 5,000 miles in NC for sale, but more than the bargain you had sitting in front of you.
Or be patient, something will pop up, but when the best deals come along, you have to move on it or chance getting it sold put from under you again.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
... They said it would be no problem to hold it until Sat. I said I could come up and give a deposit if it was absolutely needed or if someone looked like they were going to try and outbid me. Nah, no problem.

Well, they call me after the fact yesterday that they sold it out from under me. ...
sorry :(

dealers will do exactly that.
hate to say it but verbal is not worth anything to them
, and even deposits don't matter much if they have
another buyer at a higher price.

One thing I've learned about how you can tell when a sales person is feeding you a line or not, is to ask them to put it all in writing (or even email), with an endorsement from the sales manager. Nine times out of ten, they will wiggle and squirm trying to dodge that, but if you press them and insist upon having it in writing, you will know in short order where you really stand. Makes them really uncomfortable when they know you can see through them. Not much eye contact coming from them after that, just excuses.
:2cents:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Found a perfect SS as a daily. Drove it 2 times and looked at every square inch of it for an hour or more on 3 visits. Was selling my low mile PERFECT 2007 Trailblazer this Sat. On Tuesday I let them run my credit, get a good rate (on a 2014) and all was well. They said it would be no problem to hold it until Sat. I said I could come up and give a deposit if it was absolutely needed or if someone looked like they were going to try and outbid me. Nah, no problem.

Well, they call me after the fact yesterday that they sold it out from under me. I chewed on everyone up the chain, but it did no good. I felt sorry for the TBSS buyer when I told him I could sell now. I only considered selling my TBSS for this SS. There aren't any more in the country even close to the $22,700 price agreed on. There is one, but it is black.

So, it was fun doing research. It is a fascinating car. I love cars with cool history. I have owned a GTR and M5 and several M3 and a few C4 ZR-1. I like cars with depth. If I find one at $23k in this kind of condition near MEmphis TN then fine. But, I doubt it. You can't miss the car on Car Gurus. It is the highest mile/ Lowest price. It is RED, the exact color I wanted.
My empathy. Extremely frustrating. As the others mentioned, another one will show up. Don't give up; these cars are magnificent (in my originally objective and now highly biased opinion...).

... and after all, it's only cars. Life, health, family, friends, and Holden VF is the sequence of priorities...
Cheers.

·
Registered
627 Posts
You could buy the black one and wrap it any color you want.
There is a 2015 with less than 5,000 miles in NC for sale, but more than the bargain you had sitting in front of you.
Or be patient, something will pop up, but when the best deals come along, you have to move on it or chance getting it sold put from under you again.
Good luck.

I think the Black one has a Salvage Title with Flood History

·
Registered
756 Posts
.... I like cars with depth.....
I love this statement. Never heard/thought these exact words before but they capture the essence of what I and I think most of us on this forum are after. Please do not quit the forum!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing I've learned about how you can tell when a sales person is feeding you a line or not, is to ask them to put it all in writing (or even email), with an endorsement from the sales manager. Nine times out of ten, they will wiggle and squirm trying to dodge that, but if you press them and insist upon having it in writing, you will know in short order where you really stand. Makes them really uncomfortable when they know you can see through them. Not much eye contact coming from them after that, just excuses.
:2cents:
Good idea. I am looking at the Black one in Oklahoma. My good friend is going to drive it in the morning. If it checks out I am putting a deposit down and I want it in writing that it is off the market until I fly over to buy. It is in much better condition than that POS red one in Memphis anyway. THey are putting 4 new tires on today. I saw the old ones, they are just worn down, not just the rears.

Yeah, I know there were very few made and they know that as well, but Jeez I have never seen salesholes go next level on the douchebaggery like this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't Quit Looking!!!

When I found mine the sales girl told me "it's not gonna be here long sweetie" (6) people couldn't get it financed this week. While I was there making my decision after the nice extended test drive (2) others wanted to drive the car, but I wouldn't give up the keys. Needless to say those (2) left in what they drove in.

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts

So what's the reason(s) for the LOW $$$ ???

You ain't gonna get a good one for the $$$ you want to pay.

This is a mistake many make; cheap purchase price = money spent fixing the issues; unless it is just cosmetic and you can live with a bashed up ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hang in.....I had two G8s sold because I was being careful about the bang for buck issue. I finally ponied up more $$$ but still took my time and worked the deal. These cars are worth the wait, so explore the options.....one will break your way.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Good idea. I am looking at the Black one in Oklahoma. My good friend is going to drive it in the morning. If it checks out I am putting a deposit down and I want it in writing that it is off the market until I fly over to buy. It is in much better condition than that POS red one in Memphis anyway. THey are putting 4 new tires on today. I saw the old ones, they are just worn down, not just the rears.

Yeah, I know there were very few made and they know that as well, but Jeez I have never seen salesholes go next level on the douchebaggery like this.
Good deal and good luck ! I never saw the value in this car, the specs and features were all lower than the Genesis i purchased (short of handling). I guess its a lesson, things arent always what they seem.
now take my xwife.... please.

Don't Quit Looking!!!

When I found mine the sales girl told me "it's not gonna be here long sweetie" (6) people couldn't get it financed this week. While I was there making my decision after the nice extended test drive (2) others wanted to drive the car, but I wouldn't give up the keys. Needless to say those (2) left in what they drove in.
Uh yeah... i called a "sales girl" and she responded i think we have a couple of SS (camaro) avail or do you want the more powerful ZL1 ? Sad when the sales people dont even know the product line.
Brass this is kinda typical with our car, kinda weird, dont understand it guess word of mouth and people frothe at the SS. FWIW my car sat on the lot for 168 days can you say "manual Malibu for 50K... uh no thanks."

ppp

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good deal and good luck ! I never saw the value in this car, the specs and features were all lower than the Genesis i purchased (short of handling). I guess its a lesson, things arent always what they seem.
now take my xwife.... please.

Uh yeah... i called a "sales girl" and she responded i think we have a couple of SS (camaro) avail or do you want the more powerful ZL1 ? Sad when the sales people dont even know the product line.
Brass this is kinda typical with our car, kinda weird, dont understand it guess word of mouth and people frothe at the SS. FWIW my car sat on the lot for 168 days can you say "manual Malibu for 50K... uh no thanks."
ppp
Yeah, I understand where you coming from. During my search I dealt with sales folks ain't got a clue but need to eat. Found mine at a Chevy dealer, and the sales person knew what it was. My inquiry was very specific and no promises made over the phone for my hour ride to the chevy dealership. I got lucky, but had low expectations.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Make a large sign and spend a Saturday in front of the dealership telling everyone that they can’t be trusted. Make it a mission to hurt them financially.

Something like. “This dealership lies, can’t be trusted and doesn’t deserve your business.” Invite the kids, bring a BBQ, and have fun. Unfortunately MOST dealers can’t be trusted to sell cars honestly nor work on them properly. I hate to interact with MOST dealers. Would rather get a colonoscopy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had quite the opposite experience... put a deposit over the phone and they sat on the car for 2 weeks until i flew in to get it. Even had their date wrong and called me on the friday night before as I was icing cookies for my sons first birthday party that they were at the airport.

it's definitely a "niche" vehicle... if you want one, you want one and nothing else will suffice. Sadly I will be parting ways with mine to a friend of mine who will use it as a company vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Make a large sign and spend a Saturday in front of the dealership telling everyone that they can’t be trusted. Make it a mission to hurt them financially.

Something like. “This dealership lies, can’t be trusted and doesn’t deserve your business.” Invite the kids, bring a BBQ, and have fun. Unfortunately MOST dealers can’t be trusted to sell cars honestly nor work on them properly. I hate to interact with MOST dealers. Would rather get a colonoscopy.

They won't lose any money over me. There are plenty of morons out there.

BTW, the one in Broken Arrow Nissan is a POS as well. Woman owned with kids and a dog. Interior pieces busted everywhere including the stqart button. Deep scratches all over that won't buff. The entire front cap is hardly hanging on. Saleshole acts like I should have been honored to just talk to him about it. LOL Some fool will buy it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts