Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread title sounds awful but you'll understand and it might attract advice.

I love my car it runs beautifully but for the past 10-12 days it simply smells awful. The car is aways garaged and as I said about 10 days ago it started making the entire garage stink. The odor is coming from the front of the driver's side engine bay, specifically around the air box. This odor does not come out of the HVAC air ducting inside the car, only from the engine compartment.

I've taken the entire air box out twice now thinking some POS rodent might have gotten in there and died. Several years ago I opened the lid on my G8GT and found a mouse had taken paper towels into the air box, that's why I was suspicious of a rodent.

So, nothing in the SS air box, used water generously and stuck the hose into the junction of the air box and an opening that goes forward. Nothing. I've used a low pressure soap gun with Dawn dishwashing detergent multiple times to no effect. Yesterday I pulled the fender liner off and thoght that might be the culprit. Nothing.

I can worm my arm into where the air box meets a steel tunnel and it opens up into an area near the grille. Nothing. I don't see a way to spray into that opening from the grille.

I'm at a loss as to where to go with this and while I like the two local dealers, I hate paying for something I think I should be able to cure. I will go there if I can't fix it. Any good suggestings would be very welcome. Thanks Don.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
You would be surprised where rodents can squeeze there little bodies. All a dealer will do is poke around and you can do it yourself. Expand the "search".

I doubt it is radiating from the frame horn; that is pretty much sealed off after all the bits are bolted to it. Look at some of the pics.

First spot to check is to drop the shield between the bumper cover and rack and pull the bumper cover.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Take the engine cover off and check along the fuel rails for rodent nests

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would be surprised where rodents can squeeze there little bodies. All a dealer will do is poke around and you can do it yourself. Expand the "search".

I doubt it is radiating from the frame horn; that is pretty much sealed off after all the bits are bolted to it. Look at some of the pics.

First spot to check is to drop the shield between the bumper cover and rack and pull the bumper cover.
No doubt that is good advice but I'm really reluctant to do that, have never done that sort of thing to a modern car with their endless fasteners and interminable plastics, sheet molded whatever etc. Don

·
Registered
82 Posts
No doubt that is good advice but I'm really reluctant to do that, have never done that sort of thing to a modern car with their endless fasteners and interminable plastics, sheet molded whatever etc. Don
Front bumper cover R&R is very easy, I did mine in about 1.5 hrs total when I installed my Holden grille and I was taking things slow. Lots of online write ups that walk you through step by step. You’ll get a really good look in there if you remove it.

·
Super Moderator
13,437 Posts
Could you have hit a small bird that went through the grille and lodged on the A/C condenser? I had that happen a couple of times.

·
Registered
876 Posts
What you could do is kind of look from a different angle so to speak. Run her up on some ramps and look from underneath. Of course a lift would be awesome for this if you have access to one. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,641 Posts
Enlist a dog to help sniff it out. ;)
Tell my wife that there's a hundred dollar bill or a new pair of shoes in there, she'll find it...😁

·
Super Moderator
5,641 Posts
On a serious note, removal of the front clip isn't as difficult as you may think. I did it last summer in my driveway. This will really open up the front and help you greatly in the search.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Many bugs and grasshoppers exist on our New Mexico highways. They will build up on my evaporator and if washed off ...pile up on the plastic splash shield just below. If I don’t remove them they stink up the garage after I wash the car. Sometimes I can flush them away. Other times I must remove the shield or at least lower the rear of it for clearance to wash them out.
i enjoy this bug-less time of the year!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, here's a followup. After all those hours, I gave up and took it to the dealer. They called about dinner time and told me they were 100% confident they'd fixed the issue.

A large rat had buried itself into a foam cushion near the strut tower, the foam closed around the bas***d, killing it. Service writer took a picture, said it was pretty gross and disgusting. I looked in that general area and never saw anything.

So, the "damages" are $60 for the foam + 2hrs of labor + tax for a total of $325. NEVER have I been so happy to have a repair bill. Foam part is not at the dealer, should get it back PM Friday.

What really confuses me is that in the 9 yrs of living in TX, 8+ in a community with fairly large lots (3-10 acres) I've never seen a rat anywhere, anytime where I take the car. All I've seen are a few mice that got into the house during construction and have been trapped out and a few caught in glue traps in the garage. I tend to think the infestation occurred outside the home. Don

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Well, here's a followup. After all those hours, I gave up and took it to the dealer. They called about dinner time and told me they were 100% confident they'd fixed the issue.

A large rat had buried itself into a foam cushion near the strut tower, the foam closed around the bas***d, killing it. Service writer took a picture, said it was pretty gross and disgusting. I looked in that general area and never saw anything.

So, the "damages" are $60 for the foam + 2hrs of labor + tax for a total of $325. NEVER have I been so happy to have a repair bill. Foam part is not at the dealer, should get it back PM Friday.

What really confuses me is that in the 9 yrs of living in TX, 8+ in a community with fairly large lots (3-10 acres) I've never seen a rat anywhere, anytime where I take the car. All I've seen are a few mice that got into the house during construction and have been trapped out and a few caught in glue traps in the garage. I tend to think the infestation occurred outside the home. Don

This?

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
I intend to personally thank the technician for curing the stench and returning the pleasant car I had. Don
Perhaps a good bottle of Cologne might be a nice gesture!!! He prolly needs it now that he has had his hands on this assault to the olfactories!!! Nothing short of deceased homo sapiens decomposing,,,, is as bad a stench as RATS produce!!

Jus Sayin!!!

😂

·
Registered
485 Posts
I pulled into work (blacktop parking lot)one time a few years ago and watch a mouse or small rodent jump out of a coworkers pickup run across the parking lot and up under another car. Needless to say I always try to park in a area by myself even if have to walk more.
I had one in my 2017 Silverado in the hood, took quite a few days to get it with traps under hood during the night time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts