Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 SS is lowered on Granatelli/King SSSL springs. In the last month I’ve noticed the front suspension (seemingly more on the drivers side) bottoming out much easier than ever. Had the car on a lift and checked the shocks out, yes the drivers side had a trace amount of oil. Literally hardly anything. The mechanic said in his opinion it was ok. I know this is becoming more of an issue. I live in South Florida, anyone with an idea where I can take the car to get checked out? I realize a Chevy dealer might be needed, but I really haven’t had much luck with them around here in the past.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
yes the drivers side had a trace amount of oil. Literally hardly anything.
In my opinion, any oil is evidence of a failed shock, it will only get worse. If still under warranty take it in.... :serious

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
yes the drivers side had a trace amount of oil. Literally hardly anything.
In my opinion, any oil is evidence of a failed shock, it will only get worse. If still under warranty take it in.... /forum/images/SSforums_vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_plain.png
Not covered under warranty if the springs were changed.

These issues have kept me from lowering mine 😞

·
Super Moderator
2,107 Posts
My 15 SS is lowered on Granatelli/King SSSL springs. In the last month I’ve noticed the front suspension (seemingly more on the drivers side) bottoming out much easier than ever. Had the car on a lift and checked the shocks out, yes the drivers side had a trace amount of oil. Literally hardly anything. The mechanic said in his opinion it was ok. I know this is becoming more of an issue. I live in South Florida, anyone with an idea where I can take the car to get checked out? I realize a Chevy dealer might be needed, but I really haven’t had much luck with them around here in the past.
Thanks
How many miles have you put on the car since springs were changed?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my opinion, any oil is evidence of a failed shock, it will only get worse. If still under warranty take it in.... :serious
I agree.
Not covered under warranty if the springs were changed.

These issues have kept me from lowering mine 😞
Yes I’m aware, plus car is out of 3/36 anyway

How many miles have you put on the car since springs were changed?
My car has 32k total.. I think I lowered it at 18k... so 14k on it since.

·
Super Moderator
2,107 Posts
I agree.

Yes I’m aware, plus car is out of 3/36 anyway

My car has 32k total.. I think I lowered it at 18k... so 14k on it since.
Soooo. If you see the presence of oil this would probably warrant a shock replacement. I recommend replacing them in pairs. You have driven plenty of miles to allow the springs to "settle". Has anyone accessed the suspension control module and reset the trim ride height after the spring replacement?

·
Premium Member
13,499 Posts
Soooo. If you see the presence of oil this would probably warrant a shock replacement. I recommend replacing them in pairs. You have driven plenty of miles to allow the springs to "settle". Has anyone accessed the suspension control module and reset the trim ride height after the spring replacement?
... and who installed the springs ???

... another ASE certified DIYer ???? :devil

·
Premium Member
13,499 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The MRC was never reset for the new ride height. After I had lowered, I rode in another 15 that had the module reset and he and I agreed the two cars rode the same. The dealer wanted 275 to do it so I decided to skip it. His car has since blown a rear shock. So imo the jury is still out on that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... and who installed the springs ???

... another ASE certified DIYer ???? :devil
A local shop did the install. They are well known around here. No shady tree mechanic... but with that said I wasn’t happy with the job they did. That’s another story though.
I guess at this point I need to find somewhere to take it and diagnose it.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
HA!!!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Don’t know availability of the fronts, but it is the rears that have an unusual failure rate (at least in the 2015’s) and have been hard to come by recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don’t know availability of the fronts, but it is the rears that have an unusual failure rate (at least in the 2015’s) and have been hard to come by recently.

So the question becomes is it worth replacing one front MRC shock knowing their rears may fail shortly behind it or should I just pull all the MRC shocks and move to an adjustable coilover set up and be done with it??? I priced out just a front shock that I need at one of the reasonable GM parts website and it’s over $700.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
So the question becomes is it worth replacing one front MRC shock knowing their rears may fail shortly behind it or should I just pull all the MRC shocks and move to an adjustable coilover set up and be done with it??? I priced out just a front shock that I need at one of the reasonable GM parts website and it’s over $700.
I think you can only buy fronts at the moment, so that answers your question right there.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks
A bit far from you (and only open weekdays), but another member here recommended Excell Auto Sport & Service in Boca Raton and I had a great experience with them as well with my wheels, lowering springs and MRC ride height reset. They work on a lot of exotics, but their pricing was way better than the Caddy dealer I got a quote from. I had used the Caddy dealer a couple times for my G8 after a Chevy dealer kept giving me the run around, so the price difference between them and Excell was quite shocking.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A bit far from you (and only open weekdays), but another member here recommended Excell Auto Sport & Service in Boca Raton and I had a great experience with them as well with my wheels, lowering springs and MRC ride height reset. They work on a lot of exotics, but their pricing was way better than the Caddy dealer I got a quote from. I had used the Caddy dealer a couple times for my G8 after a Chevy dealer kept giving me the run around, so the price difference between them and Excell was quite shocking.
Thank you! I will look into them.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts

Tough question, but from a cost standpoint going the coil over route may be the cheapest in the long run. But, it’s still a pretty drastic step and you would need to take your long term plans for the car into consideration. Is it a keeper or just the car you currently own? What if you do the coil overs and don’t like them? Sell the car, try a different setup, go back to MRC? Plus you don’t know that your rears are about to fail. It clearly is not all ‘15s that are having the problem, though I don’t know that the bad batch(s) have been isolated to a specific range of VINs or production dates. Of course, the aftermarket springs may alter the fail equation significantly as well.

Tough call for sure but if I was in your shoes I would fix the current known problem and hope for the best on the rest and maybe start a leaky MRC shock fund. If you never need it you can use it for beer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts