Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your a couple of weeks late on this,, it was posted up already!! But fret not,,, It still warms the Chakras,,, every time it is viewed!!

It was the reason quite a few of us,,, me included,,, bought these cars,,, sight unseen!!!

馃槑
Wow! Site unseen... Never done that!
Do tell the story.

Premium Member
Randy is super cool. I asked him about this before haha

Registered
I also bought mine without ever driving one before because of that video. At the time, the cars were in the middle of the seatbelt lockdown, so there was literally no option to test drive one. There was also a 20% off sale going on, so if I didn't buy it when I did, someone else would have within minutes. I think the dealership sold something like 8 SS's in 2 days, so yeah, there was no pu$$y footing around. ;)

Super Moderator
Wow! Site unseen... Never done that!
Do tell the story.
It was a dark and lonely night,,, and the stars were shining bright,,,,,

OH!! Thats a different story!!

As short as possible,,, again!!!

In August of 17,, I was considering what to do about my beloved,, BMW E36 (323is),, with the BUILT suspension and the blowed up engine!! Woulda been a year of wrenchin,,, shipping to MO,, to Metric Mechanic,, waitin,,,, and so forth!!!

It was a great 10 year run with it as my daily!! Got 313K (YEP!! You read that RIGHT!!) out of it and shocked a lotta MF'rs with its prowess at the apex,,, BUT ALAS,,, It was time to move on!! Especially after a bank sent ME an offer I could not refuse!!!!!

I had considered this a Bucket List purchase at this point,, and after lusting after these Unicorns for a while,,, and then filing that thought away for perhaps eternity,,, I stumbled back across this video by happenstance!!! I (along with about half the incorrigible gearheads in SoCal!!) have met Mr Pobst once or twice along the way!!! He is a VERY buisnesslike individual,,, shall we say even a bit dour at times!!! He and Ben Collins (THE Stig!!) are among perhaps the 10 BEST technical drivers on the planet,,, on any given day!!! His experience with these cars at Streets (Of Willow) and his EMOTIONAL,,, guttural response,, sealed this "Arranged Marriage" with me!!! If its good enough with Randy,,, was good with me!!

I set about the arduous process to find my Slicktop, 17, SIM, M6,,,, and it took me about 3 weeks in Sep to locate, one in Warren Michigan!! It was,,, as I joke about it at C and C,, like having to crawl over flaming hot broken glass at a neurolinguistic programming event,,, Drink cocktails made with Fukushima waste water ice cubes,,, and endure the initiation scene in Animal House,,,, to get the deal bought!!!!!

The payoff was however,,,, a bucket list level adventure,, especially the trip home to LA!!! An EPIC journey!!! Its all up there somewhere in my last 3000 + posts!!!

馃槑

Registered
I also bought mine without ever driving one before because of that video. At the time, the cars were in the middle of the seatbelt lockdown, so there was literally no option to test drive one. There was also a 20% off sale going on, so if I didn't buy it when I did, someone else would have within minutes. I think the dealership sold something like 8 SS's in 2 days, so yeah, there was no pu$$y footing around. ;)
Ditto, I had to put my deposit in over the phone. The seatbelt 鈥漵top sale鈥 ended on a Friday evening. Boardwalk Chevrolet had like 10 to 13 manuals available (3 in white). By the time I called on Saturday morning there were 2 whites, a black and a red available. While I was pussyfooting around the salesman texted me and said 1 more white was available. So I put the deposit in and drove 2 hours to make the deal. I believe Good2go鈥檚 is right next to mine.
F0289410-83DA-4B57-B95A-624028760B7F.jpeg

Super Moderator
My journalistic review of note was a long awaited after the fact confirmation. I traded in my "thought I'd keep it forever" Callaway SC540 Silverado after getting bored during an oil change and test driving a '14 PBM on the lot. Sold. After being told there would never, ever be a manual offered in the SS, well, you know. My '14 was that good, and I wanted more of the same with a bolt action. After considering two new greens and the beautiful Alchemy Purple offering, I ordered a full boat Perfect Blue Metallic based on some Commodore pics and waited. Six months later and it was everything that I had hoped for. Just as incredible as my '14, but it felt more "alive" I guess. More engaging and immersive, the whole package. Saw this review and that, read more of the same. Looks like a Malibu, fake chrome harness clips, Charger looks cool, 6.4 has 485hp now, blah blah blah. I was starting to think that I was the only one with this feeling about the SS that I couldn't shake. It was(and is still to this day almost six years later) a visceral feeling that I couldn't really explain to people, because none had the SS and probably close to the same had ever experienced the feeling in regards to an automobile. Then I read an article. Even the writer didn't really give a lot of explanation with regards to his thoughts, simply that he had them. When looking through the list of his test drives, and the fact it was the SS that stuck out in his mind's eye, I realized then that it wasn't just me.
To this day I can't put my finger on any one thing that it does so well as to make it that good. There is just something about the SS, my SS, that stirs emotion within me. The SS is a shining example of something that is "greater than the sum of it's parts". It isn't the fastest or the most nimble or the roomiest or the coolest looking or the most luxurious to name a few accuracies, but as a whole, with the wide range of boxes that it checks, the SS is unlike most other cars on the road, then or now. There are a couple that are similar, but the price of the SS is really just a down payment on anything that comes close to checking those same boxes.
Man I love this car.

Registered
Ditto, I had to put my deposit in over the phone. The seatbelt 鈥漵top sale鈥 ended on a Friday evening. Boardwalk Chevrolet had like 10 to 13 manuals available (3 in white). By the time I called on Saturday morning there were 2 whites, a black and a red available. While I was pussyfooting around the salesman texted me and said 1 more white was available. So I put the deposit in and drove 2 hours to make the deal. I believe Good2go鈥檚 is right next to mine. View attachment 288952
Yep, just look at my member pic. Mine is indeed right next to the red one. I remember I had to line up the camera perfectly to keep yours out of the frame. I bought mine on that very Friday night. I got the text at like 4PM-ish, went straight home to get the checkbook, and then fought Friday commute traffic all the way down there. I believe I was the first one to show up after all the salesmen were allowed to put the word out. Ahh, sweet memories. ;)

Premium Member
cool stories...thanks for sharing them

Bill

Reactions: 15SuperSport

Premium Member
My journalistic review of note was a long awaited after the fact confirmation. I traded in my "thought I'd keep it forever" Callaway SC540 Silverado after getting bored during an oil change and test driving a '14 PBM on the lot. Sold. After being told there would never, ever be a manual offered in the SS, well, you know. My '14 was that good, and I wanted more of the same with a bolt action. After considering two new greens and the beautiful Alchemy Purple offering, I ordered a full boat Perfect Blue Metallic based on some Commodore pics and waited.

To this day I can't put my finger on any one thing that it does so well as to make it that good. There is just something about the SS, my SS, that stirs emotion within me. The SS is a shining example of something that is "greater than the sum of it's parts". It isn't the fastest or the most nimble or the roomiest or the coolest looking or the most luxurious to name a few accuracies, but as a whole, with the wide range of boxes that it checks, the SS is unlike most other cars on the road, then or now.

I would've loved that Callaway. Those are neat trucks. One person i know of found a Callaway package on an Avalanche and the dealer didn't know what it had and scooped it up for used retail. I was jealous haha.

There is something about these cars. When I was a [small] part of the G8, the 2 door Holden, PPV, and some of the Holden export models I worked with some of the Holden engineers and some of the suppliers. Great people all around. What did it was the type of people you meet - they were clearly enthusiasts and drove for an incredible product and were some of the nicest people I ever met. On a business trip over here I met a few of the Holden people i worked with remotely and you just felt how awesome these cars would be.

A lot of them are still close friends to this day, and work on a lot of the other product. I may have snuck a Holden shirt on in a photo for another product that was under wraps but I never received a copy of that picture. Not sure if it was ever sent out.

Anyway, when the VFs came around, a few friends were working on the mag ride but my role was less [as the front brake package was a carry over and the rear was reapplied with a new rotor so light work]. I was given the keys to a prototype VF2 to check out. I grabbed a friend from work who is a die hard car enthusiast as well and said lets go. We couldn't believe it. I asked one of the executives at work if he would go for a then V2 or an SS and he said once you drive an SS with the mag ride and the dual mode exhaust you may not look back. (My friends at Holden told me they named the exhaust after the engineer who worked on it who died from Leukemia if i recall, David Bailie but I might be spelling the name wrong).

I just bought my truck end of 13, and my daily Cruze in 2014. We bought a house and started a DIY remodel that took a year and a half [and not done yet with details etc - as always]. So I was not looking to get a VF as I did not want to give up my GXP either. I did sell two classic cars around that time and regretted it instantly. My then GF [no wife] told me if I am getting another car I have to give one up, and the Cruze was sitting at work. My job was hectic at the time, and I was driving a different vehicle. I noticed in July of 16 the sales were around, and I was bent on a manual. I passed on a perfect blue auto by work that apparently they sold dirt cheap that sat a while [they never listed a price on the lot] several months prior. A friend owns that car now. So I figured I would trade in the Cruze and worked a killer deal on the low mile Cruze trade in compared to local offers [and lost just under $3k over 2 years and 18k miles or so on the trade in]. Worked the SS price and provided a deposit the week of July 4. That Friday night we left after my wife got off work in the Cruze and headed for CT.

I knew i bought the right car how i wanted, and had some fun with an E39 M5. The road trip home was fun, and the frog tape i plastered the front end with frog tape to protect it [which i never got XPEL'd and may do this year].

I was thrilled, and so were my friends. A few even had them or bought them in 17 or lightly used ones. It looked like a used car lot at work sometimes haha.

(Funny how that 2017 worked, as I grew tired of working on my wife's rusty Nissan Maxima and keeping that on the road and reliable was a chore but I did it long enough to outlast where she drove to work [where every car gets damaged and dinged up], and we replaced it with the 17 OBM, which is getting sold as we speak unfortunately. 24k mile, A6, roof, spare. I think we sold it below market with all the extras but that is life!)

Registered
My story is similar without having seen the video until now. I had a 2001 E39 M5 eventually with the full Dinan S2 package, purchased when I lived in Houston and then moved to Chicago. I loved that car, and it was great on the track. Then I moved to SoCal. It took the DMV a number of years to catch up with me, but in 2014 the M5 was called in for a visual inspection. I knew what would be the result, and unhappily sold the car to an out of state buyer (I had finally solved the weak clutch problem by installing a Corvette clutch). What to buy next? I was aware of the SS but really have never owned automatics. When the announcement came out about the 2015 model, 6-speed, Brembos all around and the mag-ride shocks, I went to Guaranty Chevrolet because they had a 2014 SS in stock. I wanted to see what it felt like to sit in one, as regards head and leg room, which fit me well. I ordered a 2015 white SS on the spot with $1,000 down, and without a test drive of the 2014. The sales manager tried hard to sell me the green 2014 but he came to understand that I wanted the 6-speed. He was reluctant to even take the order at full list price on the basis that if I reneged he would have two cars he couldn't sell. Guaranty is not what you would call a performance car dealership. This was January 2015. The car arrived in July. Headrat took some photos of my car coming off the ship in Benicia, which I emailed to the dealer telling him the car was in the U.S. and to get ready for delivery. This dealer, who had ignored my requests for assistance in finding out production or shipping status for 6 months then jumped to the conclusion that I must be an undercover GM agent. I have never been back to that dealer. The SS is indeed the reincarnation of the E39 BMW M5, for which BMW never bothered to build a worthy successor again. One major difference is that the SS is much easier and much cheaper to "improve".

Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
I bought mine site unseen as I never drove an SS or anything with an LS3 in it until I drove my car home in 2017. I had always wanted a Subaru WRX STi and decided to order one new in October 2017 as it checked most of my enthusiast boxes and for being under $40K. I would have jumped on an SS at the time but I didn't want to spend more than $40K, either. In early November 2017 I was on a business trip in Bangkok, Thailand for 2 weeks and read online that GM just announced the demise of the Chevy SS 3 days earlier and was offering 20% off on all inventory. I quickly did the math and determined the SS would be within my desired price range with discount. I also determined I was going to not give into my wife in getting an automatic transmission. In 1999, she got her way with our Z28 and I always regretted not being able to row my own gears. On the phone call home with my wife, she tried hard to guilt me into an automatic SS by calling me selfish but I didn't care; SS M6 or STi, those were going to be my options. I reached out to the GM hotline to get a list of all Chevrolet dealerships with SS M6 inventory in the USA and began calling every one of them through 3 near sleepless nights as I was 12 hours ahead in a different time zone! I would work the military exhibition during the day and go back to the hotel to continue calling Chevrolet dealerships until around 5AM inquiring about M6 inventory. As it turned out a lot of people got a jump on the M6 inventory by putting deposits down and I only had a handful of choices at any Chevrolet dealership by day number 6 after the announcement. I found a RH2 M6 all the way up by the Canadian border at Birchwood Chevrolet in Cavalier, ND which someone who owned a G8 and another SS put dibs on the car but decided at the last minute to back out due to realizing he already had a G8 and SS! I could tell the dealership also like the publicity that somebody worked a deal with them over the phone from Bangkok, Thailand for the car which worked in my favor. They did not require any money down to hold it and the Subaru dealership was totally cool in me backing out of the STi as they agreed it was a deal that couldn't be passed up.

When I got home from my Asia trip, I called Birchwood Chevrolet and setup the exact day to fly up to them for the car purchase. I cashed in airline miles and purchased the 3 leg flight to Devils Lake, ND to purchase the SS. On the day of the flight, I was filled with a lot negative emotion and guilt for wanting the car especially when I had a daughter beginning college. I told myself that I should just get a used Honda Accord Sport and use the remaining money to help pay for her college tuition. I could tell that my wife wasn't thrilled I was buying the car and her attitude towards the situation was starting to wear on me emotionally. It all came to a head at O'Hare airport when I boarded the airplane for Denver and was sitting there waiting for them to close the plane door and I ALMOST stood up and asked to depart the plane to fly back home. I came within a nano-second of standing up but something inside me kept me in that airplane seat. My wife couldn't believe what I almost did when I told her via the Devils Lake, ND hotel phone later that night! In the morning, the dealership drove 2 hours south to pick me up as no planes flew into Cavalier and no rental cars could be dropped off in the area. Upon arriving at the dealership, I was so excited to see my car sitting on the dealership showroom floor. Birchwood's showroom was so small that they only had room for two cars; my M6 SS and the M6 Camaro SS. The dealer sales GM turned out to be a sports car enthusiast and wanted to order both in M6. My SS sat on the Birchwood showroom from May until the 20% off sale with minimal interest due to the location of the dealership.

Driving the 1000 miles home from a snowy Cavalier, ND to Washington, IL in a car with summer tires in December was a little nerve racking. The trip got even more dicey in Iowa at night with all the deer running around the highway. I drove in the passing lane through most of the state with my eyes constantly scanning the edge of the road for potential deer as I literally missed running over deer carcass or having a deer hitting my car 3 times that night! Finally, at 4AM in the morning I pulled the car into my garage and was so glad I followed through on the purchase of the car. It would have been one of my biggest mistakes in my life if I got off that plane and every time I drive the car or look at it in the garage reassures me that I made the right decision as I feel the same way about the car 3.5 years and 18K miles later as that fateful day in December. I don't want to say never, but as of right now I don't have plans to sell it anytime soon.

Attachments

Registered
I tried to buy a 15 MGM M6 w/ 8K at some dealer outside erie PA.. laughed at my offer, said the last one they had a guy did a fly and drive. sat on their lot for 5 months and at one point was listed exactly at my offer. I had left Erie had a pregnant girlfriend(now Wife) and had my hands full. Fast forward a couple years and after watching this video and the plant in Elizabeth announced to be shut down I gave a deposit over the phone to a dealer in Chicago which was a fly and drive and locked down a PBM 50K CPO car. Flew out friday after the next and a buddy did as well and we picked the car up. I had never driven an SS.. buddy had an M6 GTO that felt like steering a battleship and also then a modded G8GT. the G8 was brutal. The plan was to sell the S2000 and "replace" with the SS. We still have both but now may sell the S2000 for a boat!

Registered
Had an 鈥09 G8 GT (great car) wanted a manny GXP, but was glad to see the G8 reincarnated and improved in the SS. Despite one of our more vocal member鈥檚 proclamations, I was hopeful that a manual trans SS was in the cards. Once the 鈥15s were announced it was an easy decision....unfortunately not enough garage room to keep the G8 but it was an easy trade.

Agree with the comments above, if you haven鈥檛 driven one you have no idea how good it is stock as a complete, well balanced performance sedan. It鈥檚 easy to assume it is just a Malibu or Impala with a big engine...and you鈥檇 be very wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love these stories! Thank you for sharing. Here is mine...:

Like it or not, I was not at all in love with American cars for a while. Generally, my issues were with mediocre build quality and cheap, tasteless aesthetics. GM and Ford might have learned a thing or two about these since the 2008-9 recession....

Around 2016 I was driving an almost brand new Lexus F sport sedan, which was well built and rather quick. Car did the job for what I needed, so I wasn't thinking of "talking to Santa" about a new one. One day I had to visit a friend in Houston. He insists to pick me up from the Airport and comes in this red "thing". I am a musician and can tell you that my ears heard the dude coming to get me minutes before I could see him. I get in and ask him what the heck is this car (while making fun of American cars, yet again). He proceeds to tell me he was looking for a Challenger and the dealer didn't have one in stock. Instead they recommended this SS 2015 unicorn and told him it is a better and a super rare car. So, he tested/went for it. A few moments after leaving the airport we are flying down the highway and I was in a total bliss.... The combination of the sounds this SS made, how nimble it felt for its size, how comfortable it was and simply put - just how friggin fun it was. Mind you, I wasn't even driving and I was drooling...

Fast forward a year. I had looked the car up and even checked out a few 2016 SS. The deals were just not good and all cars I saw were automatic. In the summer of 2017, however I got this weird email from a dealer in the city where I live, saying they had heard I was checking these cars out and that they have a special on a black 2017 manual with a sunroof and spare. I was traveling abroad at the time and returned home for just a day before leaving again.
So, I decide and go to the dealership to check out the car.... aaaaaaand just happened to then walk out with it. I didn't benefit from a GM 20% seasonal deal, but the dealer gave me great $ for my Lexus and more than 10% discount on the SS.

A few months later I am back in town and rolling like a king with the SS. Brought it to the track couple times. Amazing...
My Houston friend happens to visit town and wee get together for a dinner. Afterwards I offer to give him a lift. Mind you, I haven't told him about the SS..... We go into the parking lot and before I could say anything he sees the car and starts jumping around like a little cat. In his excited voice he point out this is a newer year model - it has dual exhausts and air vents on the front hood. Blah blah blah.... I let him conclude what might have been an emotional orgasm and unlock the car, asking if he still wanted a ride:). Needless to say, he almost crapped his pants, realizing the SS was mine...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts