Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today I was getting on the highway wot with my ac full blast (I forgot) and at about 60-70 my car just shut down for like a second and then continued to pull, kind of like when you hit rev limiter but I’m an auto and was In sport mode. Anyone aware if that’s something the car will do during the circumstance? I don’t see the traction control kicking in at 60-70 on a bone stock car. Turned off AC and made a couple pulls and ran great after that. Texas, 90 degrees, 52% humidity. Thanks. 

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting. I've had my AC stop blowing during a real hard pull. It started working just fine after reaching cruising altitude and I figured it was normal. Your saying it was more than the AC that stopped working?

·
Registered
523 Posts
My A/C also stops blowing cold when I go full throttle. I think it automatically disengages the compressor for power or something along those lines.

·
Registered
587 Posts
First, exactly what A/C setting? like full manual control dial at 12 ?? or AUTO at 63F (or is it 65F?) WOT should cut the AC compressor drag on the motors crank pulley , and you should "feel" it temperature wise. Shouldn't feel anything in engine power difference, except more. The abrupt loss of power like that should generate a CEL. Other than that, maybe you broke em loose a bit.?? (would see T/C indicator on dash if looking) 60-70 sounds safe....I'd try and re-create this at least 1X more. I dont think the mode has anything to do with it. car should pull hard well into the 5Ks.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Interesting. I've had my AC stop blowing during a real hard pull. It started working just fine after reaching cruising altitude and I figured it was normal. Your saying it was more than the AC that stopped working?
My A/C also stops blowing cold when I go full throttle. I think it automatically disengages the compressor for power or something along those lines.
He is saying his MOTOR (the LS3 V8) shut down while driving at WOT and Max AC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea the ac never shut off and continued to blow cool. The motor didn’t actually turn off it just quit pulling for like a second then continued to pull again.

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
Our cars are programmed to turn off AC under hard acceleration. Nice to have someone else making my decisions for me... Hope it's just a glitch!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, exactly what A/C setting? like full manual control dial at 12 ?? or AUTO at 63F (or is it 65F?) WOT should cut the AC compressor drag on the motors crank pulley , and you should "feel" it temperature wise. Shouldn't feel anything in engine power difference, except more. The abrupt loss of power like that should generate a CEL. Other than that, maybe you broke em loose a bit.?? (would see T/C indicator on dash if looking) 60-70 sounds safe....I'd try and re-create this at least 1X more. I dont think the mode has anything to do with it. car should pull hard well into the 5Ks.
I believe I was on setting 11 on ac at 63 degrees.
I honestly didn’t feel the ac get warm or even turn off.

The motor didn’t actually turn off it just quit pulling for like a second then continued to pull again. Kind of like hitting TC. I wasn’t paying attention to the dash so it could have attempted to spin. (Maybe there was a slick spot).
No codes or anything.

I tried to recreate it (with full ac and off) and it never did it again and runs very well. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our cars are programmed to turn off AC under hard acceleration. Nice to have someone else making my decisions for me... Hope it's just a glitch!
Hope your right! It never turned off that I remember so maybe a fluke deal. I can’t recreate it so I guess it’s good.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My car has done this maybe 3 times in 5 years of ownership. Totally independent of AC use (my AC is usually off with windows down).

Under hard acceleration the car hesitates for a quick second. Feels like a classic misfire but only lasts for a second. I’ve never been able to pin it down to anything specific. And It’s never happened multiple times in one driving session.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My car has done this maybe 3 times in 5 years of ownership. Totally independent of AC use (my AC usually off with windows down).

Under hard acceleration the car hesitates for a quick second. Feels likes a classic misfire but only lasts for a second. I’ve never been able to pin it down to anything specific. And It’s never happened multiple times in one driving session.
Thanks! Prolly just a fluke deal. There’s so many electronics and computers in these cars who knows.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The factory tune is so safe and conservative that it probably detected a phantom issue and cut power.

Reactions: iratollah

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I sometimes have a momentary flat spot under moderately hard acceleration (perhaps 75% WOT) that tuners have been unable to completely remove. The tuner I last used, who did a great job and has a stellar reputation, said that GM engineers design some failsafes into the tune to keep stuff from breaking under hard acceleration. Oddly I don't feel this flat spot when I do 1/4 mile runs.

Reactions: 16PB6MT and ESindon

·
Registered
587 Posts
...just what we need, a bunch of maniacs in SS's doing WOT testing in 95F heat (thats cool weather for Texas) looking for that elusive abrupt power loss....... Interesting that others have noticed this on occasion. ( I'm still on the Illinois "SCMOD" list till August, so I have to keep things at 35% throttle.)

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
Gave Pearl a throw today. No problem in third gear up to 6k. The turbo diesel we walked on wanted to play Mad Max. Not today smokey....
Anything else I should check 😉

1 - 15 of 15 Posts