Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,481 Posts
I ordered a new trunk lid, and it arrived black/primed. It's still sitting in my office collecting dust. Super thin and delicate aluminum, and frankly, I'm surprised it came dent free.

More to say... My original trunk lid is fine with no damage. I wanted a new trunk-lid without the spoiler mounting holes, so it came from an Australia VE that doesn't include a spoiler.

Reactions: Sheffield Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
As an appraiser, I hate shops like on the first estimate. If the accident has not set the air bag or service engine light. Then line #2 for pre and post scans is a scam and theft of money. Replace the fender, paint it and blend to the adjacent panels. It’s good that it was a fender and not a qtr panel

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I ordered a new trunk lid, and it arrived black/primed. It's still sitting in my office collecting dust. Super thin and delicate aluminum, and frankly, I'm surprised it came dent free.

More to say... My original trunk lid is fine with no damage. I wanted a new trunk-lid without the spoiler mounting holes, so it came from an Australia VE that doesn't include a spoiler.
I hope you are working on a G8 if it is a VE :)

Nice, a base VF decklid is less than trying / worrying over welding the current spoiler holes shut! Good score!

·
Registered
119 Posts
As an appraiser, I hate shops like on the first estimate. If the accident has not set the air bag or service engine light. Then line #2 for pre and post scans is a scam and theft of money. Replace the fender, paint it and blend to the adjacent panels. It’s good that it was a fender and not a qtr panel
GM is quite clear on their position for pre and post scans. It is an important step as a repair shop to CYA. There may be unrelated codes that aren't setting a light and those need to be documented so the shop doesn't get blamed. Same thing as documenting unrelated damage with pictures.

Silver can be a very hard color to panel paint. In this case I would hope the painter takes the time to tint and get it right. (If they plan to blend the door they should also be blending the hood). On some makes the bumpers never match the fender but gm is pretty good
gm scanning statement.JPG

·
Registered
251 Posts
Only reason I say repair is as an S2000 owner if my car had all 10 vin tags in place it is worth more than without.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You think anyone should pay the shop $236. So the shop can cover its butt. RIPOFF. If there is no code at the start, then there is no need to do a post scan. On a driven in vehicle , if no lights are on. why scan. No free theft on my files. On heavy hits, if the shop wants .5 pre and .5 post. They have to submit the pre scan and post proving the car had an accident related code and the repairs repaired it.
Shop wants to CYA, don’t charge.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So the GM body shop manager persuaded me to have the fender repaired rather than replaced. (Presumably they make more money that way, even though the repair is cheaper)

He said that if I wasn't happy with the repair, they would replace the fender and not charge me for the original work. That and it comes with a lifetime warranty (whatever that means)

Anyway, I got the car back and couldn't be more pleased. It's impossible to tell that it's been repaired. It looks perfect and the paint is also a prefect match too.

·
Super Moderator
6,552 Posts
So the GM body shop manager persuaded me to have the fender repaired rather than replaced. (Presumably they make more money that way, even though the repair is cheaper)

He said that if I wasn't happy with the repair, they would replace the fender and not charge me for the original work. That and it comes with a lifetime warranty (whatever that means)

Anyway, I got the car back and couldn't be more pleased. It's impossible to tell that it's been repaired. It looks perfect and the paint is also a prefect match too.
Awesome. Happy for you man.

Reactions: Sheffield Steve
21 - 29 of 29 Posts