Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was out grocery shopping and returned to my SS to find some asshat had hit my car.

It's not a massive issue but as you would expect I'm not happy.

Having said that, here is where it gets interesting and I'm also looking for some guidance on what to do next:

I went to two local Chevy dealers to get an estimate for repairs. Interestingly they both quoted the EXACT dollar amount. (within 20 cents of each other?). This despite the fact that they both have different labor rates and one is quoting for replacing the fender, the other quoting to repair it. Very strange coincidence!

So given the situation what do you think the best option is?:

1) Go with dealer 1 and repair the fender - They will remove the fender to repair but won't have to touch the door as they can match the paint on the fender itself.

2) Go with dealer 2 and replace the fender - They also want to partially spray the door to make sure the paint matches. They means unfortunately they will be removing the mirror etc.

3) Some alternatives?

I'm leaning towards 2) replacing the fender. Any thoughts? Words of wisdom?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
427 Posts

I requested the same exact thing for my 2017 .. But my price is much higher. My fender is repairable but I would prefer replacement. They need to blend the door paint into the fender. For what its worth, I could buy a fender myself, have it painted and install it myself for half the price.

If you are going through insurance this will show up on your vehicle history. So if you have to eat the cost difference between your deductible it might be worth not having a blemish on your title also.

Sorry to see your car in this condition. I was able to negotiate $1500 cash from the guy who hit me which seems far more reasonable after seeing your quote.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Last week I was out grocery shopping and returned to my SS to find some asshat had hit my car.

It's not a massive issue but as you would expect I'm not happy.

Having said that, here is where it gets interesting and I'm also looking for some guidance on what to do next:

I went to two local Chevy dealers to get an estimate for repairs. Interestingly they both quoted the EXACT dollar amount. (within 20 cents of each other?). This despite the fact that they both have different labor rates and one is quoting for replacing the fender, the other quoting to repair it. Very strange coincidence!

So given the situation what do you think the best option is?:

1) Go with dealer 1 and repair the fender - They will remove the fender to repair but won't have to touch the door as they can match the paint on the fender itself.

2) Go with dealer 2 and replace the fender - They also want to partially spray the door to make sure the paint matches. They means unfortunately they will be removing the mirror etc.

3) Some alternatives?

I'm leaning towards 2) replacing the fender. Any thoughts? Words of wisdom?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REPLACE IT!!

That steel has been stretched, and will never EXACTLY regain its shape!! It will be close,,,, BUT NO CIGAR!!! It will also take way more labor time to try and work that back with hammer and dolly,,, than to prep, prime, color, and clear,,, a new fender!!

Ask me how I know!!! I went through something quite similar,, (and the damage was not as severe on mine!), and replacement was the best way to assure perfection (or close to it anyway!)!!!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I am leaning towards replacing it. It won't be through insurance though.

Do you know if the new fender comes ready primed? I'm worried about corrosion down the road. I need to talk to them about what they do with respect to paint (if anything) on the inside of the fender.

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Well that sucks. Too bad you couldn't get some camera footage from the store. I too would replace the fender. Hammer and dolly, body filler, etc. Line 1 of the first estimate eliminated the repair/dealership for me...

Reactions: Headrat

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Brand new factory fender is coated with corrosion inhibitor . the body shop will prime and paint but typically not on the underside unless its overspray.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Thanks, I am leaning towards replacing it. It won't be through insurance though.

Do you know if the new fender comes ready primed? I'm worried about corrosion down the road. I need to talk to them about what they do with respect to paint (if anything) on the inside of the fender.
Coated in black rust inhibitor. It will need to be primed prior to paint. Have them coat it on all sides,,, which should be a no brainer,, since they will shoot it off of the car.

ALSO,,, make them return the damaged but workable fender,,, cuz you just never know about future parts availability!!! Thats what I did,,, JIC!!!

;)

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think they intend to paint it on the car, so they can match the paint. I need to talk to them.

Good idea on getting the old one back

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem is that I parked a long way away from the store, as I thought that would avoid this issue. (To be fair it has worked for years though)

Well that sucks. Too bad you couldn't get some camera footage from the store. I too would replace the fender. Hammer and dolly, body filler, etc. Line 1 of the first estimate eliminated the repair/dealership for me...

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
The problem is that I parked a long way away from the store, as I thought that would avoid this issue. (To be fair it has worked for years though)
That would have been the case for me as well. One more reason to wish 2020 good riddance.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
I think they intend to paint it on the car, so they can match the paint. I need to talk to them.

Good idea on getting the old one back
Its amazing to me that look I get,,, when I suggest to a painter,,,, to use the damaged parts,,,, TO SPRAY OUT THE COLOR AND MATCH IT!!! Like a lightbulb that goes off above their head!!!

Jus Sayin!!! A suggestion,,, so to speak!!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
After April/May will be taking the Alchemy shopping in NM since can't fit everything in backpack while riding Ducati. Traded CRZ beater for wife's 2020 Hybrid. Even park the beaters a long way away from store normally against a wall or parallel against a curb. Might start using Wal-Mart's drive up service at smaller Neighborhood Store.

Good Luck with repair!

These fender bender threads are Horrific and make me cringe when I finally peak at the Pics.

·
Premium Member
15,024 Posts
Replace ONLY.

Test match paint as ESindon said.

Make sure primer color is correct for silver and prepped carefully. "All imperfections will show".

Keep old fender.

Blending is the cheaters way ....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry, I’m curious why you said both quotes were exactly the same when I’m seeing $1100 and $1500 in your images? I would definitely replace as well regardless of price.

·
Premium Member
15,024 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oops, you are correct. I misread the price

Sorry, I’m curious why you said both quotes were exactly the same when I’m seeing $1100 and $1500 in your images? I would definitely replace as well regardless of price.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts