Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all... I got a manual. When parked and engine is off, I can’t put the transmission into reverse. Which I would kinda like to do when parked nose down a hill....
Any ideas?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not uncommon with manuals. The gears won’t mesh if they’re not turning. You just need to make them turn a bit. Put the tranny in neutral, let out the clutch to spin the internals, press in the clutch and try again.

·
Registered
394 Posts
engine off means the car is off (no electronics). Reverse lockout is engaged. Put it in reverse before shitting the car off.

and you want 1st gear pointing down hill. Reverse pointing up hill.
You dont want to spin the engine backwards. Even though i doubt that will happen

·
Registered
178 Posts
Like Flyinglow57 said, you gotta shift into reverse before you turn the car off. Once the car is off the lockout engages.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
engine off means the car is off (no electronics). Reverse lockout is engaged. Put it in reverse before shitting the car off.

and you want 1st gear pointing down hill. Reverse pointing up hill.
You dont want to spin the engine backwards. Even though i doubt that will happen
Nope... manual says otherwise. And so does logic: if I’m pointing nose downhill and the e-brake fails, I want reverse engaged to catch the car from rolling forwards down the hill. Same goes the other way, if I’m pointing nose uphill, I want it in first gear so if the e-brake fails the forward gear will catch the car and prevent from rolling backwards down the hill...

Reactions: Longevity

·
Registered
361 Posts
Go back to your driver education. If you are pointing downhill turn your wheels to the right towards the curb, If you are facing uphill turn them towards the street away from the curb. Very simple and you don't have to worry if the e-brake fails. Pretty basic stuff here guys.

Rick H.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
However, if there is no curb in sight (driveway, soft shoulder, grassy field, etc, etc) the topic here is still relevant.

And the owners manual says reverse when on a downhill slope and 1st on level ground and when on an uphill slope. And we all know OM is gospel.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Think I left wheel chocks for my Mack in Malaga...oh well!
Screenshot_20190409-141554.png

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thinking about this logically - I'm curious as to why would it matter if it's reverse or first? Whether the engine rotates forward or backwards, it's building the same compression to act as a resistance to movement. In which case the best choice would be to have it in the lowest (highest numeric) gear ratio as that would provide the most resistance by having to fight compression with the least amount of crank movement for wheel movement - ie the opposite of driving a car where the torque multiplier acts on the wheels from the crank.

For hill parking I've always followed the direction noted above, to turn the wheels towards the curb when downhill or away uphill as taught years ago in driver's ed.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Wouldn't you always point the wheels towards the curb no matter parking up or downhill? That way the car is always trying to steer into the curb or away from the road.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wouldn't you always point the wheels towards the curb no matter parking up or downhill? That way the car is always trying to steer into the curb or away from the road.
No. Pointing downhill wheels should be turned towards curb and transmission in reverse. Pointing uphill wheels should be turned away from curb and transmission in first gear.

Reactions: Snaker

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
No. Pointing downhill wheels should be turned towards curb and transmission in reverse. Pointing uphill wheels should be turned away from curb and transmission in first gear.
Y'All are not thinking this through!!

Absolutely point the wheels in the accordant direction, based on the incline angle!!!

Put the trans in FINAL DRIVE,,,, 4TH GEAR, on ANY incline,,, or even when level!! There is insufficient torque multiplication available to provide velocity sufficient enough to allow engine rotation!!! Think engine braking here!!! Reverse, and lower gears WILL allow engine movement as reverse, first, and second are LOW gear ratios. Final Drive (4th) is one to one. 5th and 6th are Overdrive ratios!!! Use 4th!!!

;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Put the trans in FINAL DRIVE,,,, 4TH GEAR, on ANY incline,,, or even when level!! There is insufficient torque multiplication available to provide velocity sufficient enough to allow engine rotation!!! Think engine braking here!!! Reverse, and lower gears WILL allow engine movement as reverse, first, and second are LOW gear ratios. Final Drive (4th) is one to one. 5th and 6th are Overdrive ratios!!! Use 4th!!!

;)
Disagree. Pointing downhill I want to be in reverse.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

Absolutely point the wheels in the accordant direction, based on the incline angle!!!

;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The engine will roll forward if pointing downhill! Any forward gear will allow it to roll forward, a reverse gear will not!! A forward gear will not allow the car to roll backwards, reverse will!!!

The owners manual clearly states to put in reverse when parking downhill and in first gear when parking uphill for this exact reason!! I think the engineers behind manual transmissions know about which gear to be in to prevent damage when the e brake fails....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

;)
No, you don't want it in final drive. You want it in 1st, the lowest gear (highest numerical) possible. That is the hardest to move against compression. Top gear would be the easiest - it is the reverse of driving (where top gear is the hardest for the engine to spin the wheels, first gear is the hardest for the wheels to spin the engine).

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
No, you don't want it in final drive. You want it in 1st, the lowest gear (highest numerical) possible. That is the hardest to move against compression. Top gear would be the easiest - it is the reverse of driving (where top gear is the hardest for the engine to spin the wheels, first gear is the hardest for the wheels to spin the engine).
Really??

Try roll starting it (ANY Manual Transmission!), when its in final drive and lemmee know how that works out for ya!! LESS resistance,,, I think NOT!!!

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
The engine will roll forward if pointing downhill! Any forward gear will allow it to roll forward, a reverse gear will not!! A forward gear will not allow the car to roll backwards, reverse will!!!

The owners manual clearly states to put in reverse when parking downhill and in first gear when parking uphill for this exact reason!! I think the engineers behind manual transmissions know about which gear to be in to prevent damage when the e brake fails....
I'm not arguing what the owner's manual recommends to do. However what you state about the characteristics of forward and reverse gears in a manual transmission is not correct. Any gear can be rotated in any direction. The engine can be rotated in any direction. It's only the compression of the engine that provides the resistance. How much resistance to movement is a function of the gear ratio selected and the compression resistance of the engine. If the transmission is placed in First gear, the car will have almost identical resistance to rolling either forward or reverse. The same if you put it in Reverse. The resistance to movement of the vehicle in either direction is essentially identical.

Now I don't know everything but my guess is the reason the owner's manual prefers Reverse to be used when parking downhill has more to do with maintaining the longevity of the dual-mass flywheel than anything else.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Im amazed that someone thinks the engine Wont spin backwards. This thread blows my mind. Park it and put it in gear.

we have atleast figured out that you have to put it in reverse before shutting it off. Im only about 1/2 the age of most on this site And for all my driving life. A manual transmission since 17, i stop. Shut car off pull e-brake and toss in 1st gear.
Thats for up hill down hill sideways parking or in my garage

nothing has ever rolled away. And many times i get in and realize i never pulled the ebrake

1 - 20 of 46 Posts