Chevy SS Forum banner

Magnuson vs Whipple

26K views 48 replies 23 participants last post by  paul3078 
#1 ·
Sorry if there’s a thread on this already but I couldn’t find it on my phone. I’m getting really tired of how my car drives with the lopey cam and just want it to be smooth and drivable. I don’t really want to loose the power if I just put the stock cam back in so my choices are to just give up on it and sell it or try and save up for a supercharger and put the stock cam back in. I blew my chance at doing it now because I bought a bigger vehicle for the family that ended up needing a massive amount of work.

If I am able to supercharge it, I plan to leave the headers and GMPP CNC heads so I only have to pull the front cover and swap the cam back to stock. I also have a Rotofab intake on the car already. Is there any advantage to the Magnuson or Whipple over the other? I’ve had a bad experience in the past supercharging a C55 AMG so I am absolutely NOT doing an LSA. I want a kit that will come with everything I need and I don’t have to fabricate a bunch of BS or cut the car up to make it work. Will the can tune work that is included with the supercharger kits with the headers and GMPP heads or is a custom tune 100% necessary?

#39 ·

Reactions: DaisytheDoodle
#41 ·
Depends on your horsepower goals as I'm sure many have said. <600 whp I'd go pd blower (whipple, Maggie, lsa) for that off idle torque. >600 whp I like the procharger for its easier driveability (at least for those of us with less skill) at low rpms.

#42 ·
Maggie or whipple go with what your local tuner supports and has good relationship with, for a mild setup and be done. The whipple does have a slightly better HX imo, but you can just buy one for a maggie and problem solved. The cam either go stock, ls9, or proper mild boost cam; will probably want to refresh your valvetrain with the having the previous cam for past 50k, with new springs, lifters, and possibly rockers for peace of mind.
The monster multi-disc clutch I have is easier than stock, and Ive tried 3 different ones in my SS (2300 maggie, manual, headers, stock); by far the best clutch imo.

also dont go cheap on a re-calibration, put on dyno, with local shop, ideally same one that does install, get a wideband installed, and be done. That way you can enjoy your car for a while.

Till something else breaks…..

#44 · (Edited)
Based on your requirements, I would go with a Heartbeat 2300.
I was looking at the 2650, but I wouldn’t be able to tollerate the high-pitch. 😵‍💫

#46 ·
FWIW I had the Lingenfelter 650HP package installed. That included a Maggie, Lingenfelter heads, and Lingenfelter GT9 camshaft (by Competition Cams). Several reviews of the GT9 cam stated it was "stoplight tame" and it's true. You still get a slightly lopey sound, but it doesn't stir your coffee for you while you're at a light.😉

Forehead Head Hairstyle Photograph Eyebrow

#47 ·
Sorry if there’s a thread on this already but I couldn’t find it on my phone. I’m getting really tired of how my car drives with the lopey cam and just want it to be smooth and drivable. I don’t really want to loose the power if I just put the stock cam back in so my choices are to just give up on it and sell it or try and save up for a supercharger and put the stock cam back in. I blew my chance at doing it now because I bought a bigger vehicle for the family that ended up needing a massive amount of work. If I am able to supercharge it, I plan to leave the headers and GMPP CNC heads so I only have to pull the front cover and swap the cam back to stock. I also have a Rotofab intake on the car already. Is there any advantage to the Magnuson or Whipple over the other? I’ve had a bad experience in the past supercharging a C55 AMG so I am absolutely NOT doing an LSA. I want a kit that will come with everything I need and I don’t have to fabricate a bunch of BS or cut the car up to make it work. Will the can tune work that is included with the supercharger kits with the headers and GMPP heads or is a custom tune 100% necessary?
I don't know what kind of shade tree mechanic business you were attempting with an LSA and a Mercedes but an LSA is by far the best bang for your buck when it comes to positive displacement. Those little 1.9's regularly and reliably put out 800+ hp with a simple set of pulleys 2" headers and a properly sized cold air intake and cam. With water/meth and a port job there's no reason you can't run those up into three digit territory. Not to mention its a vastly cheaper and much more simple set up. As far as an all in one kit when it comes to blowers typically the heat exchanger system will be inadequate and just overall don't include proper parts to utilize something you just spent around 8k on. Superchargers that can come ready out of the box are procharger systems. But even then thats after you pay more than if you would have just pieces together a system and utilized the best parts which will ensure your getting your money and performance worth out of it. Research all the blowers bases upon your goal. Don't just go out and buy a 2650 bc you assume a bigger blower will make more power. Yes and no. The big blowers are definitely capable of it but ya gotta think about it. The rotor blades inside the blower need more speed to produce more hp. Seeing as controlled by a pulley from power your engine must produce that means if you don't have a big enough engine then your really not going to be able to fully utilize those big blowers bc you don't produce enough power to spin it. You can manipulate this by drastically downsizing your upper pulley and increasing the diameter of your lower pulley. Also, the higher octane of fuel (e85) as well as a water meth kit will usually add 50hp when tuned for it. A blower specific cam with little to no overlap is key and will help you to continue pulling into the higher rpms where pds blowers typically aren't as strong. Ok so that went a little long. I apologize. Whipple and magnuson blowers are all pds units. Don't get me wrong there's nothing like getting pushed back in your seat right off the rip. But anyone with any experience knows you can't just floor it from a dead stop and without custom tuning they are hard as hell to get to hook. I unfortunately don't know what motor your running or what your goals are. However, procharger kit might be something you should look into. With a decent size stall, a centrifugal blower cam which starts building power mid range and pulls high Into the rpms and lastly a procharger which brings in power with less lag than a turbo and will pull violently the higher your rpms increase will have you making more usable hp from 2000rpms up til 7000 and the good thing is you will be able to initially get traction off the line and you also don't have to deal with complex ice tanks and heat exchangers like on a whipple or magnuson.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.