Chevy SS Forum banner

Have you had mag ride shock failure on a SS you own or have owned?

• My 2015 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • My 2016 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • My 2017 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My 2015 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • My 2016 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

• My 2017 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

• My 2015 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 27 17.0%
  • My 2016 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 31 19.5%
  • My 2017 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 53 33.3%
  • My 2015 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • My 2016 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • My 2017 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • My 2014 SS handles like it's on rails with old school shocks and I rarely worry about shock failure

Votes: 13 8.2%
141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
With rear mag ride shocks currently “back ordered”, plenty of evidence over the years of failures and just plain curiosity I am starting this "Mag Ride Reliability Poll".

We are able to vote for more than one option since so many of us have owned more than one SS, and some really cool and or crazy guys own more than one SS currently. You know who you are.

Feel free to also reply with more info on your failure.
Model year:
Mileage failure occurred:
Date failure occurred:
SS build date:
Last 6 of VIN:
Front or rear failure location:
Aftermarket suspension: yes or no, if yes details -- example (King or Eibach springs)
Transmission:

Feel free to also reply with more info on your failure.
Model year:2015
Mileage failure occurred ~10k, ~20k,~26k, ~85k
Date failure occurred: 2016, 2018, 2018, 2020
SS build date: ~late 2014
Last 6 of VIN:
Front or rear failure location: right front
Aftermarket suspension: yes or no, if yes details -- example (King or Eibach springs) NO Aftermarket Suspension
Transmission: stock

·
Registered
72 GS455 (sold) 67 427 Fairlane(totaled) 05 GTO (sold)
50 Posts
2015 28000 miles right rear is dripping oil, puddle a foot in diameter on my garage floor. Rockauto had them in stock so I ordered two. I have owned 93 cars in 50 years of driving-I have not experienced a coilover or premium shock/strut that comes close the the performance of these. Maybe they could be engineered to last longer, I have no idea. I do know one of the driving factors to me choosing a 15-17 was the suspension. I will weep and pay, nothing else is as good (for me)

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
2015 28000 miles right rear is dripping oil, puddle a foot in diameter on my garage floor. Rockauto had them in stock so I ordered two. I have owned 93 cars in 50 years of driving-I have not experienced a coilover or premium shock/strut that comes close the the performance of these. Maybe they could be engineered to last longer, I have no idea. I do know one of the driving factors to me choosing a 15-17 was the suspension. I will weep and pay, nothing else is as good (for me)
You know only model year with this issue is 2015 rears

·
Registered
72 GS455 (sold) 67 427 Fairlane(totaled) 05 GTO (sold)
50 Posts
stage1scott said:
You know only model year with this issue is 2015 rears

soooo you are suggesting the first year (2015) were of a lower quality perhaps? replacements may be better as they would be the same as 16-17? OR are you suggesting the suspension on a 15 is somehow decidedly different and therfore ruins the shocks sooner?

·
Super Moderator
14,277 Posts
If you follow the narrative, there was a manufacturer issue with the struts on the 2015 (and a few sporadic cases in later builds) that was discovered and corrected, Replacements should not have the same issue unless they are somehow NOS out of the troublesome batch.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I just turned 40K miles on my 2015 and all is working normally.

The right hand shock looks to be perfect, the left hand has a tiny amount of oil residue on the shock, but it's pretty normal and not an indication of a pending failure.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well unfortunately if the poll were still open I would have to change my original "2016/<40k mi/no failure" vote cast a couple years ago to "2016/<40k mi/holy crap that shock is covered with 'magna-goo'!" due to a recent driver's side rear shock failure. I could tell the ride quality was feeling harsher this year, but I was probably in denial and attributed it to crappy pavement conditions here in upstate NY in April/May.

For those interested in details (for keeping track of the failures) the car is a garage kept, never sees bad weather 2016 (late-Feb 2016 build date) and only has just a little over 24K miles on the odometer. It occasionally sees some load in the trunk, but nothing more than the weight of groceries and/or a 20-40lb. bag of <insert whatever>...nothing crazy heavy and usually the load is evenly spread out pretty evenly over the trunk width. I didn't put many miles on her in 2020 thanks to working from home (and most everything being shut down in NY due to COVID lockdowns), so I was a little surprised the shock failed (especially with my build date being pretty well into the 2016 MY of production, but looking at the posts in other shock failure threads it appears it's happened to some 2016 and 2017 cars and not just a 2015 issue).

Oh well, sh*t happens...at least the other shocks/struts looked fine (so far). I was thankful that the rear shocks were in stock (Rock Auto), so I picked up a new rear shock (and a spare for the other side should that fail in the future) plus all the one time use stuff. On the bright side...I will get to put the factory service manual to good use I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Mine as well. Lost my passenger rear at 6 years and 74k miles.

Replaced both sides.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Add me to the list 2015 just shy of 6 years old, 60K. Puddle on the passenger side. Stained below dust cover on the drivers side. Changed both rear shocks.

141 - 150 of 150 Posts