Chevy SS Forum banner

Have you had mag ride shock failure on a SS you own or have owned?

• My 2015 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • My 2016 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • My 2017 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My 2015 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • My 2016 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

• My 2017 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

• My 2015 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 27 17.0%
  • My 2016 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 31 19.5%
  • My 2017 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 53 33.3%
  • My 2015 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • My 2016 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • My 2017 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • My 2014 SS handles like it's on rails with old school shocks and I rarely worry about shock failure

Votes: 13 8.2%
121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I need to change my answer...
During my oil change I noticed that the LR has light amount of oil on the exterior.

Made it 74000 miles.

·
Premium Member
14,838 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm sorry that I'm so late to the party. My 2015 SS [last six VIN digits: 113686] rear mag ride shock absorbers were leaking by 37.5K miles. I took the car to the dealer last week and was further advised that the front left one needed replacement. The dealer is having difficulty, they advise me, finding a replacement front one. I was quoted a price of around $2300 for the rear pair replacement; Chevrolet Customer Care advised that they would kick in about $600 to assist me. I was quoted a price of like about $1600 for the front [single shock] replacement. CCC said they would contribute about $800 for that job. I'm sure that folks here agree with my position that Mag Ride is cool but not if the components fail before 40,000 miles and especially not if the components are four-five times the cost of non mag ride components. I glean that CCC is being somewhat stingy with me; do I have any rights?

·
Premium Member
14,838 Posts
Sheesh; warranty expired. The warranty is not lifetime. CCC is being very fair and generous.
What; you think they should pony up a free repair???

This is why all manufacturers sell extended warranties.

Had you bought a GMEPP you would be in their pocket now with the remaining warranty just more so.

Reactions: willy92

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Sheesh; warranty expired. The warranty is not lifetime. CCC is being very fair and generous.
What; you think they should pony up a free repair???

This is why all manufacturers sell extended warranties.

Had you bought a GMEPP you would be in their pocket now with the remaining warranty just more so.
Long time since I’ve posted and I had rear shock leaking also around 40K miles. I got the same offer of $600 which I appreciated. But since the issue is so pervasive among members here I hoped that would trigger a recall from GM. Could be that because the owner pool is so small we fall between the cracks. If the ever do a recall I think we can all expect a refund.

Reactions: kumar7

·
Registered
1 Posts
Long time since I’ve posted and I had rear shock leaking also around 40K miles. I got the same offer of $600 which I appreciated. But since the issue is so pervasive among members here I hoped that would trigger a recall from GM. Could be that because the owner pool is so small we fall between the cracks. If the ever do a recall I think we can all expect a refund.
So, last Thursday I picked up my 2015 SS from the dealer, after giving them $2700 plus monies from CCC. Both rear shock absorbers, the left front shock absorber and both front strut mounts were replaced. I understand the adage, "different strokes for different folks"; that must be how Don Trump was elected and how folks still voted for the clown after four years of bad behavior. I just do not find it acceptable that these parts, including the front strut mounts, needed to be replaced before 40,000 miles. I've owned nine cars in my life. One was driven over 150K miles and one over 240K miles. I never had to replace a "plain vanilla" shock absorber in any of the other eight vehicles. I purport that MRC is cool BUT not if it fails before 40K miles and ESPECIALLY not if it costs four or five times what plain vanilla shock absorbers cost to replace. Sorry, that's just me.

·
Super Moderator
2,418 Posts
So, last Thursday I picked up my 2015 SS from the dealer, after giving them $2700 plus monies from CCC. Both rear shock absorbers, the left front shock absorber and both front strut mounts were replaced. I understand the adage, "different strokes for different folks"; that must be how Don Trump was elected and how folks still voted for the clown after four years of bad behavior. I just do not find it acceptable that these parts, including the front strut mounts, needed to be replaced before 40,000 miles. I've owned nine cars in my life. One was driven over 150K miles and one over 240K miles. I never had to replace a "plain vanilla" shock absorber in any of the other eight vehicles. I purport that MRC is cool BUT not if it fails before 40K miles and ESPECIALLY not if it costs four or five times what plain vanilla shock absorbers cost to replace. Sorry, that's just me.
Welcome to the SS Forum @kumar7 !!!

Not sure just what a mag ride poll has to do with the results of the recent election,, and/or your particular opinion of the current POTUS,,, per se!!! You might want to join in the discussions over in the "Lounge" area of the forum,, and just keep the technical discussions away from that sort of prattle!!!

As to your particular issues with the items noted on your car,,, perhaps a bit more info posted up for the members to digest,,, in order to assist with your troubles would be beneficial!!!

THIS!!!

Good Luck!!

ES

·
Premium Member
14,838 Posts
I've owned nine cars in my life. One was driven over 150K miles and one over 240K miles. I never had to replace a "plain vanilla" shock absorber in any of the other eight vehicles.
These 2 vehicles must have handled like poop and bordered on dangerous at best with them old worn out shoulda been replaced a long time ago shocks !!!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I agree 40k is premature for a failure, on the other hand it is typically good practice to replace shocks struts somewhere around the 100k mark. They may not "fail" per se but they definitely lose their dampening ability over time as one can usually tell right away when old shocks are replaced.

Unfortunately GM has a history of fancy shocks not lasting long, just ask the 90s Cadillac Seville/Eldorado guys about the old CVRSS (constantly varying road sensing shocks? something like that?) they were pricey active shocks that didn't make it 100k either and when they failed turned the car into something like a trampoline.

And thirdly my opinions of the big guy are probably easily decoded in the off topic areas, but please lets keep the politics out of the tech sections, it's a damn plague that seemingly invades every aspect of life as it is, don't need another area.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

And thirdly my opinions of the big guy are probably easily decoded in the off topic areas, but please lets keep the politics out of the tech sections, it's a damn plague that seemingly invades every aspect of life as it is, don't need another area.
Here, here!

121 - 135 of 135 Posts