Chevy SS Forum banner

Have you had mag ride shock failure on a SS you own or have owned?

• My 2015 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • My 2016 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • My 2017 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My 2015 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • My 2016 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

• My 2017 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

• My 2015 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 27 17.0%
  • My 2016 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 31 19.5%
  • My 2017 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 53 33.3%
  • My 2015 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • My 2016 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • My 2017 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • My 2014 SS handles like it's on rails with old school shocks and I rarely worry about shock failure

Votes: 13 8.2%
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
So if the MRC and shocks are replaced/fixed on our 15s, can we assume they will then work like later years are working? Meaning not break at 40k miles?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
About 26000 miles
z51vett
Doug

That's not a lot... You would certainly expect dampers to last more than 26,000 miles...

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
My uneducated guess, though the data collected by Tanis (and anecdotally stated by CB750,) suggest a bad lot or two of rear shocks put in the 2015 production cars. The rest of us still have a chance of failure (even the 2014 purists), but much more unlikely than with a 2015. Replacement shocks “should” be free of the problem as well.

Regardless, my low mile 2016 has 2 brand new just-produced-in-Mexico rear shocks in waiting if I ever have a problem. Could be expensive and unnecessary insurance, but that come with the territory with the SS IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
That's not a lot... You would certainly expect dampers to last more than 26,000 miles...

I believe he sold the cars before he ran out of shock, or still has them...

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
looking at the numbers, I gotta wonder .. is time a bigger factor ?

as with the EPS, fails seem to increase significantly after 24 months ?

does anyone know why the strut supplier stopped making the mag struts?
I assume it was a contractual decision ...

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
My uneducated guess, though the data collected by Tanis (and anecdotally stated by CB750,) suggest a bad lot or two of rear shocks put in the 2015 production cars. The rest of us still have a chance of failure (even the 2014 purists), but much more unlikely than with a 2015. Replacement shocks “should” be free of the problem as well.

Regardless, my low mile 2016 has 2 brand new just-produced-in-Mexico rear shocks in waiting if I ever have a problem. Could be expensive and unnecessary insurance, but that come with the territory with the SS IMO.

:wink

Parts failure issues are predominantly traced to QC of sub-component or assembly and occur in 'batches'.

Reactions: ESindon

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
looking at the numbers, I gotta wonder .. is time a bigger factor ?

no

as with the EPS, fails seem to increase significantly after 24 months ?

not significanty

does anyone know why the strut supplier stopped making the mag struts?
I assume it was a contractual decision ...

The supplier did not stop making them.

As in all parts; singular part numbers are run in batches.

The smaller the fitment VIO/demand the less frequent and smaller the batches are produced.

Headers are an example.

Reactions: ESindon

·
Registered
512 Posts
add me to the list 45,000 miles both rear shocks blown/leaking. dealer wanted $2100 to fix LMAO

·
Registered
512 Posts
Confirmed, rear struts leaking. 2015 model right at 40,000 miles though issue began around 38k if I had to guess.
yes, I would guess mine started deterioating in the mid 30,000s, unacceptable for a supposedly superior suspension. seriously debating junking MAG ride and going coilovers.

Reactions: 768mph

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
yes, I would guess mine started deterioating in the mid 30,000s, unacceptable for a supposedly superior suspension. seriously debating junking MAG ride and going coilovers.
Yep, i located these and most likely will be using these.

And Ill look for some other options for struts and shocks. Most likely the 2014 stockers.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yep, i located these and most likely will be using these.

And Ill look for some other options for struts and shocks. Most likely the 2014 stockers.

What I probably will do is just replace the rear struts for now since the fronts are still good, once the fronts go I will go coilovers. Maybe at some point in the future someone will offer a rebuild kit for the mag ride struts once out of production, probably wishful thinking but you never know.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
There is a company in Poland (of all places) that specializes in rebuilding "advanced" shocks including Magneride. Nothing for Chevy is mentioned on their web site, but they are looking for partners worldwide.

So there is a glimmer of hope that someone will do it

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Excluding the 14 cars, I have a 15.. FL105089. Rear shock problem @ 15k Miles,replaced, now at 44k and still going.. 16 cars GL214275 and GL214279.. Sold 279 @ 20k with no issues...275 is @ 46k and no problems. Have a 17 HL310881 and it nears 10k with no problems.. Our service department services many of these cars. So far only my 15 is the only car I encountered with a shock problem, and it was odd as there were no evidence of leaks.

Reactions: jimster480

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 15 with 87k and the driver rear is leaking and bad so I found someone on here selling full set with low miles from a 16. So I'm going to install those and keep my old ones just in case. I plan to lower on kings ssl and ssl HD in the rear so I'll swap to the newer ones then.

If you are or were military summit will provide military discounts and they will price match if you find a lower price but you have to call them to get that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know this poll is closed, but I'll add more data. 2016 with 36,4xxx and my right rear has been leaking like a bitch. Dealer quoted $750 for part, $1100 all in with labor...I'll do it myself.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Excluding the 14 cars, I have a 15.. FL105089. Rear shock problem @ 15k Miles,replaced, now at 44k and still going.. 16 cars GL214275 and GL214279.. Sold 279 @ 20k with no issues...275 is @ 46k and no problems. Have a 17 HL310881 and it nears 10k with no problems.. Our service department services many of these cars. So far only my 15 is the only car I encountered with a shock problem, and it was odd as there were no evidence of leaks.
So how are the leaks found?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 135 Posts