Chevy SS Forum banner

Have you had mag ride shock failure on a SS you own or have owned?

• My 2015 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • My 2016 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • My 2017 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My 2015 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • My 2016 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

• My 2017 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

• My 2015 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 27 17.0%
  • My 2016 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 31 19.5%
  • My 2017 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 53 33.3%
  • My 2015 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • My 2016 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • My 2017 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • My 2014 SS handles like it's on rails with old school shocks and I rarely worry about shock failure

Votes: 13 8.2%
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Seems the Brembos, tires, and mag-ride struts are not meant to last long .. maybe one should think .. consumables ...

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's hardly a scientific study. GM will know the failure rate, but we will never see it.

What's the average life of a shock anyway. The guys with 2014's will be needing new shocks at 50,000 miles anyway.
Just replaced mine at 70K...$480 in parts and a couple hours labor. The ride was definitely getting bouncy. I started to notice it around 65K.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
Just replaced mine at 70K...$480 in parts and a couple hours labor. The ride was definitely getting bouncy. I started to notice it around 65K.
Note his is a 2014 that has conventional not mag ride struts.

Need to point this out for the folks who are light on their reading comprehension skills :devil

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
What's the average life of a shock anyway. The guys with 2014's will be needing new shocks at 50,000 miles anyway.
Generally current passenger car shocks and struts should perform properly under normal road use on average past 100,000 miles. Of course there is variability between and within applications. I doubt VF rears would reach that (on average!), not even the '14 ones, certainly not MR.
We will always hear anecdotal accounts of those that lasted 200K and those that failed at 20K. I'm referring to average life expectancy.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
I could imagen GM and/or the supplier has a nice looking bell curve by now ...

now, if someone here could find it, THAT be valuable info for many of you with mag-ride ...

Reactions: Yoram

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I could imagen GM and/or the supplier has a nice looking bell curve by now ...

now, if someone here could find it, THAT be valuable info for many of you with mag-ride ...

As with any statistics, you can only infer risk, not certainty. "Your results may vary".

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
As with any statistics, you can only infer risk, not certainty. "Your results may vary".
if I knew my shocks were likely to fail in 40k miles, I would plan for the event …

stats is a proven science to make predictions .. simply another tool .. .. insurance and warranty companies live and die by stats ...

its like buying a warranty .. to protect drive train IMHO, for this car, a total waste of money .. our drivetrain, is as bullet proof as they come .. most Detroit V8s are bullet proof .. yet, every policy I looked into, exempts info systems/unique electronics .. that should tell us something ...

now, something that I would expect everyone to know .. SLOW DOWN through dips .. .. how often have you heard "car can take it" .. and they hit the parking lot bumps at speed .. the intersection dips at speed .. SLOW DOWN .. or pay ...

I have never replaced shocks on any car cuz they failed .. I even put 100,000+ miles on shocks of the 6,000 lb 4x4, with about 20% of that off-road .. conventional dual shocks and overload lifts .. but then, I don't go jumping .. and also use proper tire pressure commensurate for the immediate need ...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Generally current passenger car shocks and struts should perform properly under normal road use on average past 100,000 miles. Of course there is variability between and within applications. I doubt VF rears would reach that (on average!), not even the '14 ones, certainly not MR.
We will always hear anecdotal accounts of those that lasted 200K and those that failed at 20K. I'm referring to average life expectancy.
I'd love to get 100K out of a set of shocks. However, I think Steve's assessment of 50K is in line with what I've experienced with most strut assemblies. I could have gotten more mileage out of them, but the performance/handling diminishes. After the replacement, it's like driving a new car.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
if I knew my shocks were likely to fail in 40k miles, I would plan for the event …

stats is a proven science to make predictions .. simply another tool .. .. insurance and warranty companies live and die by stats ...

its like buying a warranty .. to protect drive train IMHO, for this car, a total waste of money .. our drivetrain, is as bullet proof as they come .. most Detroit V8s are bullet proof .. yet, every policy I looked into, exempts info systems/unique electronics .. that should tell us something ...

now, something that I would expect everyone to know .. SLOW DOWN through dips .. .. how often have you heard "car can take it" .. and they hit the parking lot bumps at speed .. the intersection dips at speed .. SLOW DOWN .. or pay ...

I have never replaced shocks on any car cuz they failed .. I even put 100,000+ miles on shocks of the 6,000 lb 4x4, with about 20% of that off-road .. conventional dual shocks and overload lifts .. but then, I don't go jumping .. and also use proper tire pressure commensurate for the immediate need ...

Got your drift. So, my '16 has 22k. I drive it the same way I have been driving all my cars, "briskly" but not abusively (I hate the word "aggressively" - bad connotation; driving a performance car the way it begs to be driven should not be called aggressive in my mind, but I digress).
In any case, so what else should I do?

Reactions: Snaker and wilkin4

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'd love to get 100K out of a set of shocks. However, I think Steve's assessment of 50K is in line with what I've experienced with most strut assemblies. I could have gotten more mileage out of them, but the performance/handling diminishes. After the replacement, it's like driving a new car.
The interesting thing about the industry is that quite often damping curves of service dampers are stiffer than the original ones to "ensure" the customers feel a difference...

Reactions: wilkin4 and SoCA-SS

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
I do not believe that brisk/aggressive/spirited driving hurts shocks/suspension ...
Plowing trough dips, bumps, potholes, does .. but as I said .. I don't jump or do racing circuits …

I run my cars to red-line limits quite often .. nothing breaks, ever …

what wears/breaks in MY long term use is electronics, starters, AC, pumps, belts, consumables like tires, brakes, etc.. .. ...
the drive train, shocks, and suspensions, never ever - knock on wood - and that includes lots of cars and their history …

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to read about your failure. Do you know the approximate date of your failure and or do you have your build info when your car was built?
Vehicle Build:
Model: 2016 Chevrolet SS
VIN: 6G3F25RWXGL205622
Build Date: 10/27/2015
Build Plant: L – Elizabeth, South Australia
Build Statistics:
Red, sunroof, spare, manual #272 of 2,221 built
#2 of 27

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Thanks for all that have participated so far.

TTT for anyone else who wishes to participate in the poll that may have missed this thread. The poll closes 07-23-2019 at 11:42 PM Pacific.

There have been 153 people who have participated so far out of the ~13.8k registered users on this forum, didn't think we had that many non active users.

Maybe besides inactive users we have 2nd/3rd owners who are not sure if their car had a failure before they bought it?

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
We had 159 people end up participating in this poll with 164 total votes since some now or have in the past owned more than one car and opted to use this option.

Some noteworthy stats using my gorilla math:
2014 owners - Most are busy driving their cars and or could care less about this nonsense, and possibly wonder why I even put them in the poll to begin with. 13 others voted.

2015 owners - 54 total responded, 61.1% no failures, 38.9% reported failures
2015 owners with under 40k miles - 37 responded - 72.9% no failures, 27% failed
2015 owners with over 40k miles - 17 responded - 35% no failures, 64.7% failed

2016 owners - 39 total responded, 94.9% no failures, 5.1% reported failures
2016 owners with under 40k miles - 33 responded - 94% no failures, 6% failed
2016 owners with over 40k miles - 6 responded - 100% no failures

2017 owners - 58 total responded - 91.4% are under 40k miles and no failures were reported at any mileage as of 7.23.19

Please feel free to add any future failures to this thread going forward using below template:
Model year:
Mileage failure occurred:
Date failure occurred:
SS build date:
Last 6 of VIN:
Front or rear failure location:
Aftermarket suspension: yes or no, if yes details -- example (King or Eibach springs)
Transmission:
I previously participated in this poll with approx. xxx miles or I did not previously participate in this poll

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
nice job @tanisdwninit

Thanks for putting this together. Although the sample size was small, there is a noteworthy difference between the 2015 and later cars.

If I was in the market for a 2015, I'd find this a noteworthy maintenance item to be aware of.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
We had 159 people end up participating in this poll with 164 total votes since some now or have in the past owned more than one car and opted to use this option.

Some noteworthy stats using my gorilla math:

2014 owners - Most are busy driving their cars and or could care less about this nonsense, and possibly wonder why I even put them in the poll to begin with. 13 others voted.

2015 owners - 54 total responded, 61.1% no failures, 38.9% reported failures

2015 owners with under 40k miles - 37 responded - 72.9% no failures, 27% failed

2015 owners with over 40k miles - 17 responded - 35% no failures, 64.7% failed

2016 owners - 39 total responded, 94.9% no failures, 5.1% reported failures

2016 owners with under 40k miles - 33 responded - 94% no failures, 6% failed

2016 owners with over 40k miles - 6 responded - 100% no failures

2017 owners - 58 total responded - 91.4% are under 40k miles and no failures were reported at any mileage as of 7.23.19

Please feel free to add any future failures to this thread going forward using below template:

Model year:

Mileage failure occurred:

Date failure occurred:

SS build date:

Last 6 of VIN:

Front or rear failure location:

Aftermarket suspension: yes or no, if yes details -- example (King or Eibach springs)

Transmission:

I previously participated in this poll with approx. xxx miles or I did not previously participate in this poll
Thanks so much! It looks like the problem pertains to 2015 models only.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Thanks so much! It looks like the problem pertains to 2015 models only.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

...so far... time (or, rather, mileage) is not on our side.... :sad:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
No problems with all my corvettes that had mag ride or my last 2 SSs 16 and 17.
z51vett
Doug

What was the highest mileage you reached on MR shocks?

81 - 100 of 135 Posts