Chevy SS Forum banner

Have you had mag ride shock failure on a SS you own or have owned?

• My 2015 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • My 2016 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • My 2017 SS had MRC shock failure under 40k miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My 2015 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • My 2016 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

• My 2017 SS had MRC shock failure over 40k miles

• My 2015 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 27 17.0%
  • My 2016 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 31 19.5%
  • My 2017 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm under 40k miles

Votes: 53 33.3%
  • My 2015 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • My 2016 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • My 2017 SS has not had MRC shock failure and I'm over 40k miles

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • My 2014 SS handles like it's on rails with old school shocks and I rarely worry about shock failure

Votes: 13 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With rear mag ride shocks currently “back ordered”, plenty of evidence over the years of failures and just plain curiosity I am starting this "Mag Ride Reliability Poll".

We are able to vote for more than one option since so many of us have owned more than one SS, and some really cool and or crazy guys own more than one SS currently. You know who you are.

Feel free to also reply with more info on your failure.
Model year:
Mileage failure occurred:
Date failure occurred:
SS build date:
Last 6 of VIN:
Front or rear failure location:
Aftermarket suspension: yes or no, if yes details -- example (King or Eibach springs)
Transmission:

·
Registered
809 Posts
FWIW, the wife's '16 with 25K miles has had no failure, but she is not signed up, so she can't vote.....

·
Registered
460 Posts
2015 SS
Failure ~50K miles
Rear (right rear completely blown, left rear may have a little juice in it)
Stock suspension (20" aftermarket wheels)
Automatic

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope that there are enough responses on this to get a good sample...
I made the poll for two weeks so we will probably get a decent sample from active and semi active users on this forum, we shall see.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
in a world trend of automotive warranties growing to 10 yrs, 100,000 miles .. IMO, this is shameful .. either technology was not throughfully tested or quality is bottom of the barrel or .. .. if they gave us a 10/100K warranty and I bet cars would be made better ...

not intending to hijack thread .. but the SS fleet .. is gonna see lots of cars parked in the next few years .. EPS, HVAC, Mag ride .. these 3 are not irritations, they are major cost/operational issues .. its almost like its being designed to fit the warranty limits ...

My SS has seen well over 100 non-operational days with 2 of the 3 issues .. luckily I have no mag-ride to worry about …
so glad is not my only car ...

we got 100F weekend coming up and still waiting (17 days) for AC parts ...

:shrug:

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
in a world trend of automotive warranties growing to 10 yrs, 100,000 miles .. IMO, this is shameful .. either technology was not throughfully tested or quality is bottom of the barrel or .. ???

not intending to hijack thread .. but the SS fleet .. is gonna see lots of cars parked in the next few years .. EPS, HVAC, Mag ride .. these 3 are not irritations, they are major cost/operational issues ...

My SS has seen well over 100 non-operational days with 2 of the 3 issues .. luckily I have no mag-ride to worry about …
so glad is not my only car ...

we got 100F weekend coming up and still waiting (17 days) for AC parts ...

:shrug:

Mag ride shocks should fail at a extremely low percentage prematurely, if that number is higher GM should be eating this cost for us IMO not blaming aftermarket suspension, out of warranty, or even worse not even having the critical system part to replace were we are at today.

I read you on the HVAC, sorry to read about your issues having your car out of commission for that long on multiple occasions. At least there is a fix for EPS, well kind of I guess if they actually do it correctly.

This shock issue is both a safety and performance issue with no fix but to replace it with the same part known which possibly fails prematurely. If it skews my decision to just straight up fix my strut mount issue and debate coilovers on my 17 there is a problem in my mind.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well you can't keep it open too long or the people that have indicated theirs is OK may experience a failure.
LOL, its funny and sick because this is true.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
What makes you think they are failing at a higher than "extremely low percentage" or prematurely?

Mag ride shocks should fail at a extremely low percentage prematurely, if that number is higher GM should be eating this cost for us IMO not blaming aftermarket suspension, out of warranty, or even worse not even having the critical system part to replace were we are at today.

I read you on the HVAC, sorry to read about your issues having your car out of commission for that long on multiple occasions. At least there is a fix for EPS, well kind of I guess if they actually do it correctly.

This shock issue is both a safety and performance issue with no fix but to replace it with the same part known to fail prematurely. If it skews my decision to just straight up fix my strut mount issue and debate coilovers on my 17 there is a problem in my mind.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What makes you think they are failing at a higher than "extremely low percentage" or prematurely?
"If" they are, I edited post #10 since you are correct we dont know for sure. All I know is all the posts I have read over the years, maybe this poll will help us determine. Thanks for contributing and voting.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts

This shock issue is both a safety and performance issue with no fix but to replace it with the same part known to fail prematurely. If it skews my decision to just straight up fix my strut mount issue and debate coilovers on my 17 there is a problem in my mind.

that's a problem .. defined premature seems to be: "it was fine during warranty period" …
for a $50,000 car .. its to me, disappointing .. but, Ill get it all fixed, working .. at a cost .. probably MY coin …
the pluses do outweight the negatives .. I just wish for better ...

when I add what has been spent just on repairs .. warranty, cust care, my coin .. total is more than my GF paid for her spanking brand new Honda of same yr and she has ZERO/ZIP repairs at 3X my SS mileage …

ohh, and car still has 3 open recalls .. dealer refused to do ..
once AC is fixed (not by dealer), I'll face those recalls …

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
You were unlucky!

Honda's are great cars but they too have issues:

Common Honda Problems
I am no fan of Honda .. have owned two .. GF, X #1, X #2, my son, dozen+ neighbors .. all drive Hondas, they drive and drive .. never in the shop .. its getting a bit embarrassing to admit to them SS is in da shop .. now I say SS is resting this week …

I must keep in mind .. my car was at start of the production in Oct 2013 .. they had bugs to get out .. I know .. so I work with that in mind ...

the mag-ride of '15 on, I don't get .. it should be bullet proof by now …
if I may .. what's the cost of replacing of all 4 ?

:sadViolin:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I am no fan of Honda .. have owned two .. GF, X #1, X #2, my son, dozen+ neighbors .. all drive Hondas, they drive and drive .. never in the shop .. its getting a bit embarrassing to admit to them SS is in da shop .. now I say SS is resting this week ...

:sadViolin:

My wife drives a 2012 Honda Civic, and I don't like it. NO POWER at all, seats are very unconformable, and it had a few warranty issues that took multiple visits to fix. To me they are no better than any other car...:serious

1 - 20 of 109 Posts