Chevy SS Forum banner

LSA installed - How are you beating the heat?

15K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  B_i_g_m_n_z 
#1 ·
New to v8's now to the LSA. That said temp are almost normal. 226* on the oil and 196* on the coolant so basically stock numbers. When I get on it for a quick burst nothing changes. Continued acceleration I sometimes see coolant rise to maybe 206* and oil to 238* (highest so far). Interesting thing is sometimes the coolant rose a few degrees and oil didn't and vice versa.

Increased temps are expected but I didn't research beforehand what to expect. I'm concerned with an uphill canyon run extending a few miles (just an example). The load may have an effect I won't like. Am I seeing normal temps with all things considered? If yours rose higher than you like what have you done to mitigate them. Did you add an oil cooler?

Thanks,
Drew

Loving this thing, I was concerned about having to relearn driving a higher rear wheel drive high HP car but no need. Like everyone has said, it should have come this way.

Reactions: 05on20s
#2 ·
It can take a long time for all 8 quarts circulating in the LS3 to reach a safe operating temp for boost. I personally stay out of boost until oil is at least 150F. Your oil Tmax of 238F is, IMO, completely fine. Trying to mitigate it with a cooler, even a thermostatic one, could be counter productive in that it could increase your warmup times, which are the periods of highest wear. Conventional oil is good past 250F and synth a good deal higher than that. Run a quality synthetic oil is the only thing I would do in your situation. FWIW, I've never seen higher than the 230's when going up multi-mile canyon roads. The SS has a pretty robust cooling system, designed for an Australian climate and police duty. Track use, boosted, would likely require significant cooling system changes, however.

#3 · (Edited)
I've been monitoring oil temp warmup times post supercharger install using torque pro and it seems to take around 8-10mins to reach 60'C/140'F from cold start and a total of 15mins to reach full operating temp. This is much longer than I first thought. I now am much more careful not to flog it until after 90'C/194'F.

This is for normal street driving, I have yet to test things out properly at the track but will be doing so in 3 weeks time, I'll update here when I find out, but I'm guessing with some heavier driving at the track things will heat up a fair bit more.

VF R8 LS3, Harrop 2300 FDFI, 1⅞ coated headers, 3" catback, 4L reservoir, 3L surge, 575rwhp

#4 ·
After dropping off my car for the day (to address temps but really to re-adjust the exhaust) temps are 194* coolant and 224* oil and this includes many times of boost here and there. Much happier. It was the radiator cap.
They told me they replace them all the time. He showed it to me. The gasket inside deforms and then no longer seals properly. If you are prepared to burp some air out of your cooling system then if you have more than maybe 36-40k miles then pull off the cap and check the gasket. A very well known issue. i just looked to grab a pic off the web and many sites came up explaining the issue and what to look for so I won't get into the details.

Car is driving great.

Reactions: V8Rumble
#7 ·
No cons that I am aware of, pros are 30 degrees less heat for the most part.

I have a Shane Hinds tune and a 160 stat, no supercharger.....:frown

#8 ·
Congrats on the install! Welcome to the boosted SS club haha. A big heat exchanger, big trans cooler (if auto), 160 thermostat, coolant reservoir, fans tuned properly will all help with heat.

I personally went Procharger because I like the benefits of a centrifugal supercharger over the LSA. Either setup will put smiles on your face.

#9 ·
Thanks man. It's a boat load of cash when you consider all the parts going from stock to LSA on E85 and if I think too much I remind myself how stupid that was. Then I drive it and in the moment it just doesn't matter. I was concerned about the power then shocked at how civil it is. It's only out of control if you are.

They installed a fairly large heat exchanger so good there. How to monitor trans temps to know if it's needed or should I just plan on it? Which did you use and do you have pics?

On the fence on 160 t-stats. Con is that it may take longer to warm up and that's not good for the added wear during a cold start. Pro, and only a Pro for some people under this circumstance, it allows the engine to cool lower than the factory t-stat which happens only when cruising or maybe idling driving down hill. The engine's efficiency is in the 190-200* range. When under load temps rise and when they do it makes zero difference. I have heard this for years with just as many saying don't bother. I'm still waiting on the science to explain the benefit. Sorry...this one is similar to the "what oil is best" threads.

I have an appointment this Sat to tune for E85 so warmer temps are best (but not too warm).

What about the coolant reservoir? My tuner has my fans on at 100% all the time and it's a minor irritant. I've bee told to have them tune it so they come on at 192*. Your thoughts?

#16 ·
They installed a fairly large heat exchanger so good there. How to monitor trans temps to know if it's needed or should I just plan on it? Which did you use and do you have pics?
I use an Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge. You can monitor all sorts of parameters via the OBD2. I got a custom A pillar gauge pod made. I'll see if I can get a pic.

Reactions: Drew888
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.