Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm encountering a strange issue with the HVAC in my SS. The A/C is cold, the blend door works fine, and I can hear the blower motor spinning at the right speeds for the fan level, but the air volume coming out of the vents is much lower. When I have the fan set to 12 it feels about like fan speed 5. Anything less than fan speed 10 is basically off. Any ideas? Is there something easy I can check without taking it into the dealer?

TB

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
How many miles? Has your cabin filter ever been changed? If it is dirty enough it can restrict air flow. I need to change mine now that I think about it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
25k miles. I had my cabin filter changed last year, about 3k miles ago. I'll double-check it though.

Manual mode. I tried in all vent modes, same result regardless of air direction or vents open/closed.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
While you are checking the filter make sure the blower fan is in good shape and still connected to the shaft

And test that it's spinning correctly with the A/C running
If the fan wasn’t on the motor shaft he wouldn’t get any flow at all. So that’s not the issue. There is a restriction somewhere.

make sure the filter is in the correct orientation. Flow is marked on it.

Did you replace it with one similar to factory or something with carbon in it? This is very restrictive if with carbon.

Pollen filters clog easily when you have the vents open.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Does it happen all the time? Mine was doing this after restarts and it was due to my phone. It for some reason was triggering the low speed mode for the AC like it does when you are on the phone. I had to forget my phone and relearn for it to stop doing this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to go check on it today and it was working normally. So, I don't know what it's deal was.

I went to the dealer when I replaced the filter. This only started happening on a long trip (900 miles) I took over the weekend. It has worked fine before and since.

I don't think it was phone related, but that's somthing else to keep in mind. I'm pretty sure had my phone connected but it still lowered the fan speed when I used the voice recognition.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I went to go check on it today and it was working normally. So, I don't know what it's deal was.

I went to the dealer when I replaced the filter. This only started happening on a long trip (900 miles) I took over the weekend. It has worked fine before and since.

I don't think it was phone related, but that's somthing else to keep in mind. I'm pretty sure had my phone connected but it still lowered the fan speed when I used the voice recognition.
Next time, if there is one, check to see if some of the air is going to defrost or out the bottom by your feet. Could be the mode door actuator is dying.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts

Might be getting low on your refrigerant charge. This can cause the evaporator to freeze moisture on the outside of the coils and lower the air flow. The air may still feel cold if the evaporator hasn't frozen to the point of completely blocking the air flow.

·
Super Moderator
13,730 Posts
^^^^This...now that we know it happened during extended on-time.
Have seen this many times, even have had ice fog come out of the vents on the '87 Monte Carlo SS we had at the time.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Did the OP not used his phone at all to talk dying this drive? Mine happened as well on a long drive. Only resetting Bluetooth fixed it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts