Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first gear rarely will engage after "driving" last Saturday. It essentially just revs or pops out of gear and into neutral from a stop. I can bypass by manually shifting into 2nd, and all gears after shift fine. Quite odd, but I've got a transmission guy pulling it out and fingers crossed we can do a partial repair instead of full rebuild.

My question is beyond any input as to what might be causing this is are there any upgrades or improvements I should consider while the car is under the knife. It sits at ~640 whp/600 tq and only been boosted a little over a year. Mileage sits at 30,000.

Fingers crossed it doesn't require some crazy $, but feel somewhat lucky it was about to go into storage for the winter anyways. TIA for your input.

Adam

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Just stock 6l80s are good till ~500hp you and (me) are well above that, what I have saved for is a full circle D rebuild with a bullet proof t/c when that day comes for me (I know it will). Just piecing back together when it's put away for winter anyway, don't make a lot of sense, because you are going to travel this road again with the motor numbers you have. We already spent the money on the front end, now it's time to spend some MORE on this end..... just say'n...
Good luck, stay safe...
Cheers,
tp

·
Registered
801 Posts
might want to check with level 10 transmissions in NJ since its going to be pulled apart.. they specialize in various upgrades to beef up the transmission.

now in regards to what to do...

If it were me I'd tongue the dog, run naked thru the house and play drop the soap !

ppp

·
Premium Member
13,397 Posts
... after the trans gets done right the next to pop and on borrowed time will be the rest of the driveline ... driveshaft, rear, axles.

Redo the trans for the power you are making. Anything less is just throwing $$$ in the commode and pushing the handle.

Nothing "odd" about it. Throw a couple hundred more HP at the driveline exceeding it's power handling capacity by a LOT and expect all to be well ???

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses so far... what I’m saying is odd is the failure relative to others who have similar or more hp and it’s symptoms. You gotta pay to play I get that, but from what I’ve read online nobody has really had first gear just disappear.

... after the trans gets done right the next to pop and on borrowed time will be the rest of the driveline ... driveshaft, rear, axles.

Redo the trans for the power you are making. Anything less is just throwing $$$ in the commode and pushing the handle.

Nothing "odd" about it. Throw a couple hundred more HP at the driveline exceeding it's power handling capacity by a LOT and expect all to be well ???

·
Registered
925 Posts
I would have to agree, if you're pulling it out, do the right thing and invest the money in an upgrade, Level 10, RPM, whatever your preference. You may also want to look into better cooling options while you're at it.

What's the line I heard, I think it was Tony Mamo use once when trying to save cost, "You don't have the money to do it right once, but you have the money to do it twice?".

If you're not racing it regularly I don't feel you must upgrade the shaft/axles/diff right now, but the trans in most cases, particularly an auto, is the first thing to suffer at higher power.

·
Premium Member
13,397 Posts
What's the line I heard, I think it was Tony Mamo use once when trying to save cost, "You don't have the money to do it right once, but you have the money to do it twice?".
Bingo.

This is why some people call me anti-mod. Because they do it incompletely on the cheap. And I call them out.

I am not as long as you do it right ... the first time ... completely ... sans penny pinching.

·
Premium Member
13,397 Posts
oops double post can't delete.

·
Premium Member
13,397 Posts
oops triple post.

I think there is a glitch when editing a post.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Two 'respected' local tune shops told me our 6L80 is good to about 650rwp even though factory specs say otherwise. Yes, manufacturers err on the side of caution when publishing the numbers. These tuners say they've done plenty of SS with more power than mine that kept the stock 6L80.

I'm putting down 580rwp/550tq. Launching on a very sticky rubber coated surface I had some crazy nasty wheel hop and suddenly first gear would just spin. No problemo getting home using paddle shifters. Long story short I busted a sprag. Circle D was telling me two weeks for a rebuild, a shop in walking distance just did a build on a heavily modded G8 so I had them do the work. IIRC, they put in heavy duty clutch plates for 1-2-3 (folder is still in a moving box somewhere around here). It was a $3k performance award.

About 7 weeks ago, sitting on a very hot accident closed freeway travelling about 0.5mph I saw an opening, gave it some gas and 1st gear spun momentarily before engaging. Could that have had something to do with the heat and idling against the brake for 45 minutes uphill? I may now be feeling what's either late shifts or maybe slipping when getting on it hard in 1st. I rarely launch hard and drive so little that I don't know how much of that is 6L80 sluggishness or need for warranty work.

And for bystanders reading this confession, yes, you gotta pay to play...save the 'I told-you-sos' for your own kids.
I may have some spare change left over after this move and may eventually take my car to Circle D and then try to do something about the wheel hop.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for this post... I find it childish for the commments acting liking after dropping 10k plus in mods I’m not financially able or prepared to break stuff. 🙄.

My opinion is why just listen to the masses that you need a full rebuild or what my condition more lends its explanation to. $ is $ and I’d rather apply it to supporting mods or maintenance vs. just buying into the trans being smoked or the power is too much.

I don’t plan on adding anymore power and typically drive it pretty mild. It sits in storage 3-4 months a year and is just a fun 3rd vehicle.

Your experience sounds almost identical to mine and I’ve got a personal friend who is doing the work and a lot of the costs are not the same for labor and such, so a partial upgrade or improvements aren’t the same for someone else.

Bottom line we are dropping the pan soon and seeing if fluid is burnt and/or metal in pan. That’ll direct where and how much goes into it. If it’s a $6k trans then so be it, but don’t assume someone is going to half ass something either. 🤷‍♂️ Many threads I’ve read align with the stock trans handling the power and the fact I can drive it and fool it back into first after manually upshifting to second gives me hope for the time being.

Appreciate the posts and info!

Two 'respected' local tune shops told me our 6L80 is good to about 650rwp even though factory specs say otherwise. Yes, manufacturers err on the side of caution when publishing the numbers. These tuners say they've done plenty of SS with more power than mine that kept the stock 6L80.

I'm putting down 580rwp/550tq. Launching on a very sticky rubber coated surface I had some crazy nasty wheel hop and suddenly first gear would just spin. No problemo getting home using paddle shifters. Long story short I busted a sprag. Circle D was telling me two weeks for a rebuild, a shop in walking distance just did a build on a heavily modded G8 so I had them do the work. IIRC, they put in heavy duty clutch plates for 1-2-3 (folder is still in a moving box somewhere around here). It was a $3k performance award.

About 7 weeks ago, sitting on a very hot accident closed freeway travelling about 0.5mph I saw an opening, gave it some gas and 1st gear spun momentarily before engaging. Could that have had something to do with the heat and idling against the brake for 45 minutes uphill? I may now be feeling what's either late shifts or maybe slipping when getting on it hard in 1st. I rarely launch hard and drive so little that I don't know how much of that is 6L80 sluggishness or need for warranty work.

And for bystanders reading this confession, yes, you gotta pay to play...save the 'I told-you-sos' for your own kids.
I may have some spare change left over after this move and may eventually take my car to Circle D and then try to do something about the wheel hop.

·
Premium Member
13,397 Posts
The last specs I have archived; still valid for the SS:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,397 Posts
AHA ... found the correct spec sheet for the SS:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
AHA ... found the correct spec sheet for the SS:
Thanks, we've all seen those specs. When I was manufacturing rotating and reciprocating machinery we always derated what we knew the design and materials could actually handle near the limits. Plenty of people running 6L80s at 600rwp haven't had problems, doesn't mean they won't break. Had I not had such nasty wheel hop I may not have broken anything.

I'm not looking to keep the exciting things in my life idling at moderate levels; they're going to get a workout and I'll get maximum enjoyment by operating them at max performance levels. Krakatollah will affirm my philosophy. :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm not looking to keep the exciting things in my life idling at moderate levels; they're going to get a workout and I'll get maximum enjoyment by operating them at max performance levels. Krakatollah will affirm my philosophy. :)
Thanks for the reminder
Somebody is going to get a workout tonight. prob will pick up her sister and "keep things exciting, and maximum enjoyment"... might throw a camera in to mix things up a bit too.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Thanks for the reminder
Somebody is going to get a workout tonight. prob will pick up her sister and "keep things exciting, and maximum enjoyment"... might throw a camera in to mix things up a bit too.
Haven't need this spray around here in a while...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
So I am adding nothing to this thread but I want to know WTF "Houston Stock" is if you are putting that to the wheels.
This is funny.......

Most car guys in Houston when asked about their cars say,"stock", no matter what the hell they have done to them....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts