Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello SS Forum members,

Two weeks ago my 2014 Heron White SS was hit by a teenage driver who ran a 4-way stop sign 1 mile away from my home. The front end damage did not look too extensive though the front fascia, front upper and lower grilles and hood were either destroyed or severely damaged. The car was driveable after the police arrived and completed their investigation and report, I did drive it home where on the next morning inspected the damage while waiting for the insurance adjuster.

After two weeks the insurance has declared the car a total loss and unrepairable. I used to work for General Motors and had contacted a co-worker to determine if the parts needed for my repair where available in the parts warehouses or possibly were in specific dealer inventories. The conclusion is that some of the major parts are NOT available anywhere in the US.

For those SS Forum members who own a 2014-2015 SS I am providing the parts that are not available (new) from GM.

92275622 - Black Front Driver Side Fog Lamp Cover

92264773 - Chrome Front Driver Side Fog Lamp Bezel

92264774 - Chrome Passenger Side Fog Lamp Bezel

92508800 - Hood

92278589 - Hood Insulator

92264782 - Black Front Grille

92276168 - Black Front Lower Grille

92264790 - Chrome Front Grille Opening Bezel

Some of these parts might be found in used parts websites online but insurances will not spend that kind of time and effort to do this, so they declared the vehicle a total loss.

Sad to see it go after 7 and 1/2 years of ownership with only 37,670 miles on it. Wonderful car to drive and enjoy. Hope to all SS owners out there that what happened to me 2 weeks ago will not happen to any of you.

Regards.

WPRMAN31

·
Super Moderator
9,079 Posts
Hello SS Forum members,

Two weeks ago my 2014 Heron White SS was hit by a teenage driver who ran a 4-way stop sign 1 mile away from my home. The front end damage did not look too extensive though the front fascia, front upper and lower grilles and hood were either destroyed or severely damaged. The car was driveable after the police arrived and completed their investigation and report, I did drive it home where on the next morning inspected the damage while waiting for the insurance adjuster.

After two weeks the insurance has declared the car a total loss and unrepairable. I used to work for General Motors and had contacted a co-worker to determine if the parts needed for my repair where available in the parts warehouses or possibly were in specific dealer inventories. The conclusion is that some of the major parts are NOT available anywhere in the US.

For those SS Forum members who own a 2014-2015 SS I am providing the parts that are not available (new) from GM.

92508800 - Hood

Some of these parts might be found in used parts websites online but insurances will not spend that kind of time and effort to do this, so they declared the vehicle a total loss.

Sad to see it go after 7 and 1/2 years of ownership with only 37,670 miles on it. Wonderful car to drive and enjoy. Hope to all SS owners out there that what happened to me 2 weeks ago will not happen to any of you.

Regards.

WPRMAN31
Terribly sorry for your loss. My number 1 fear regarding long term ownership. You may consider pulling the windshield cowl before turning in the car, it'll probably pay the deductible if the teen terror's insurance doesn't.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

I daily drive mine (technically…. I don’t ever actually go anywhere) but it’s my only car so I‘ve made peace with the idea that on any given day I could leave home in it and return home without it. All I can do is enjoy it while I have it.
70k+ miles on mine, I'm hoping to use it up before something horrible befalls it!

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,316 Posts
I was afraid of that very thing happening to me.

Sorry about your loss. A 2014 certainly is a wonderful car.

·
Registered
2015 PBM A6
47 Posts
Sorry to hear about your SS, unexpected accidents are so unfortunate. Specially when theres nothing you could have done to prevent it. For instance last week my car was just parked in drive port & randomly got windshield smashed. I didn't really feel so angry or upset about the whole situation. Just have to accept it for what it is I guess...

·
Premium Member
3,713 Posts
Not cool at all... Pains me that our cars have advanced to the final endangered species list. Not for myself, "at the moment", but if either front parking sensor bracket survived those are discontinued as well. This is a sad way for GM to support one of the best cars with heart they produced.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your loss. It is true that most car collisions happen very close to home.
A bit of info about Heron White SS that I didn't realize until @Pinetree pointed it out to me when our HW SS were parked side by side: The Heron White paint isn't the same for both the 2014 and 2015.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your loss. It is true that most car collisions happen very close to home.
A bit of info about Heron White SS that I didn't realize until @Pinetree pointed it out to me when our HW SS were parked side by side: The Heron White paint isn't the same for both the 2014 and 2015.
Ira, I'm glad you brought that up!! I remember seeing the difference when the two Heron White cars, yours and Pinetree's were parked in my driveway. The tint was definitely different.

·
Registered
2015 Silver/ Stock
220 Posts
Hopefully, no injuries.
When Holden Motor's closed I was pretty paranoid on driving my 2015, but learned to accept the reality of ownership of the this wonderful car.
Sorry that happened to you...

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,316 Posts
Hopefully, no injuries.
When Holden Motor's closed I was pretty paranoid on driving my 2015, but learned to accept the reality of ownership of the this wonderful car.
Sorry that happened to you...
I never lost the paranoia plus I was retiring and probably not buying another car if I could help it.

·
Registered
2016 Chevy SS HW
161 Posts
Yeah insurance companies aren't dumb either, they have been increasing my rates on my SS much faster than my other newer vehicles. Doesn't take much to total them nowadays.

Replacement car options are limited, hard to find alternative v8 sedans, let alone that come in manual. I'm sure 2nd gen ctsv have similar issues. I inquired about ct5 blackwings but all the dealers want 20k over msrp and long wait, so long they will probably be out of production due to the ev switch over. I wouldn't be surprised the blackwing gets axed in late 2024/early 2025, right when it was just getting started.

There might not be a lot of CT5 BWs sold through entire production run (I would guess less than SS totals) but there is a decent number of CT5 which probably share a lot of parts so that helps longetivty, averaging about 10K/year which about how many total SS sold total through production run. I would guess they sell the CT5 through like 2026 or so, probably looking at around 60K total.

·
Super Moderator
5,913 Posts
Hello SS Forum members,

92508800 - Hood

Regards.

WPRMAN31
Parts are available of shore AU call GM parts if you are GM you should be able to talk to parts I waited 4 and half months for bumper cover they shipped 30 to states mine is a 17. GM only ships when they order a bunch of parts from AU container cost will eat up any profit from parts. Contact a dealer in AU but be aware of shipping cost

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello SS Forum members,

92508800 - Hood

Regards.

WPRMAN31

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To ALL SS owners that expressed their condolences on the loss of 2014 Heron White classic, thank you for your thoughts and comments. I have not heard back from my insurance on what they are going to provide for reimbursement. Two days after the incident I went online and printed off several examples of SS with similar miles mostly 2014-2015 models. I'm hoping they will be fair though the adjuster did have a good knowledge of the vehicle and its rarity.

Struggling with what I might get to replace it?? The car was so wonderful to have and drive for 7.5 years that I would find it difficult to drive anything else. Any recommendations??

WPRMAN31

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,906 Posts
So where did you bury the teenager? ⚰
I’m always a bit paranoid of being smacked whenever I drive in my SS.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts