Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm a prospective SS owner with one major hurdle to overcome, and that is the proper installation of the infant seats we own. My wife and I have a two year old and 2 month old twins, and the SS/G8 are the only reasonably fun vehicles I've found that will fit all three of our child seats.

Our convertible seat doesn't have any problems in the car now that our son is forward-facing, but our infant seats are not in any way secure and are entirely unsafe when installed in the SS. Even when using all of my bodyweight to press down on the bases to secure them, once the seats are installed all it takes is fingertip pressure to spin the entire seat backward so it's against the backrest. The rebound from a collision would generate far more force than that.

We have the Uppababy Mesa bases and seats, and there seem to be a few problems from what I can tell from installing the bases in the SS. First is the angle of the LATCH anchors themselves - they're more "back" than "down", so they aren't putting much downward pressure on the rear of the base at all. The straps from the bases, even with the foot adjusted all the way out so it positions the base as high as possible, end up being far less vertical than in my GTI or the Atlas. Then there's the seat cushions themselves - in both the G8 and the SS they're incredibly soft. The broad bar on the back of the base that sits against the backrest, as well as the bottom against the cushion, just spin through the seat cushion rather than seemingly coming up against any resistance.

Installed in either of our VWs, I can put a significant amount of upward force into the base and the front won't lift more than an inch or two. I also haven't had any problems installing them in any other vehicle, the problems I'm having are unique to the SS and G8.

Has anyone else had problems securely installing infant seats into their SS? I love the car, but the safety of my children is obviously more important than me driving a fun car versus some generic SUV or minivan. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I've just used basic Graco ClickConnect (when kid was little) and then their basic convertible seat when that was outgrown. Never had any issues tightening. Virtually zero movement in the SS or the previous Jetta wagons. Typically, I'll climb in the car, kneel in the car seat or on the base with all of my 200lbs and tighten everything down. My weight was more than enough to compress the seat cushion for no play in the earlier bases or later convertible seat. My front seat has more movement...

·
Super Moderator
13,652 Posts
Welcome @coogles. Hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have the chicco bravo car seat for my son, and I am not having any issues.
I have bases in the SS and GTO, and there is no difference between either car.
I did put the seat cover/protector for the car seat underneath it, and haven't had any issues.
I just put those two clips on, and made sure the bubbles were where they are supposed to be.
The one thing I don't like about the car seats is you can just lift them up from the front of the seat.
I am surprised there isn't a front attached to under the seat as well.
I asked my neighbor who is the sheriff, and he said that's how they are supposed to be.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Infant carrier needs to go in the middle unless you have a base that can change angles with a wedge or a leg.

My daughter is a year old and just moved her into a grave platinum forever rear facing. Also put in middle because of the base not being able to adjust. You can tilt and get the float level where it’s supposed to be.

They are much safer in the middle anyways.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
For more clarity.

This was the infant carrier base we had. Infant carrier base.

This base had a knob you can turn to change the angle of it. This can go into the seat itself.

This is the new seat we have.
Car seat

You need effort on all to get tight. You need to kneel on them and make sure you pull tight on it and move it and repeat many times until it’s tight

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every child is safest in the middle seat, but I have three, and the two of them are infant twins. They can’t all go in the middle.

I’m also perfectly aware of how much effort it takes to secure an infant base. Even using more force in the SS than I use to secure the bases in either of our current cars, the base doesn’t sit solidly in place in the SS or the G8.

I’ve installed them in our Atlas, my GTI, my old WRX, an Odyssey, a Sienna, an ML350, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a 4Runner, and a Tahoe, and they fit securely in every other one of those vehicles. The SS and G8 are the only cars that have given me problems, which is why I asked the question of everyone here to see if someone had experienced similar issues, hopefully with my same infant seat & base.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Could try a new seat that has those anti-recoil bars.
I used a Graco adjustable base until my son was forward facing and I don't recall it being loose.

Fun fact for people; LATCH shouldn't be used on the middle seat because the anchors are farther apart than LATCH allows for proper function. Seat belt or outer seat.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I found I had less issues with soft seats when a car seat protector was used. For me, I can get the seat much more tight when I kneel on it when tightening. Awkward, to say the least. I did have to use a spacer for my forward facing convertible seat (didn't in our SUV) due to the rear seat angle.

If you haven't tried a CPSC to look at the install and maybe give some additional recommendations, I know some places are doing video checks (someone had a fire department check a newborn seat install via facetime). They might have a suggestion on how to get the fit and adjustment to work.

Good luck! Definitely understand the safety needs to be there for the littles.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
If I remember correctly, the click-connect has an adjustable “Latch” connector on either side. The car seats I ended up using later had a single strap with a “Latch” on either end and a single tightening strap.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Yeah my infant carrier base had the two latches with the single pull.
The big car seat has two latches with one side that has this spring loaded locking mechanism. This was a chore to get tight but I did get it tight in the middle. I honestly prefer the single pull better than the locking mechanism.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Had a rear and front facing since I got my 2014 in November 2013. No issues getting any seat installed snug with almost zero movement lateral or vert. We used Graco seats until we moved them into Recaro front facing.

This is a good shot from someone slim AUS lol(2014, see cup holders)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts