Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a current 2009 G8 GT owner living just outside of Baltimore Maryland.

Though I love the car, my G8 is just too lean on modern amenities. The miles are taking their toll it ain't holding up too good either. My wife got a 2016 Honda Civic when they came out. Every time I drive it, I find myself messing with all the cool features it has and thinking, "****, I wish my car did that".

So, I'm jonesing for something new and high-tech but with that same bad-ass muscle under the hood. The SS seems like the best option, but GM has kinda let me down so I'm not quite sold yet. My biggest fear is that if I go with anything putting out less than 350 hp, I'm going to hate it. My "G" turned me into a throttle junkie and I know finding anything comparable will be tough.

I'm not a mechanic or a modder but I like to tinker and I do a lot of DIY work on my cars when I can. So, hopefully I can contribute from time to time.

Looking forward to reading about your cars and getting good intel to feed my gearbox. I'm really interested to know the differences between the model years. Please tell me everything. The good, the bad, the ugly and the awesome.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Welcome, in short the SS is a (more) modern version of the GXP. Much nicer interior, etc. Lots of electronic goodies, some more useful than others. You may want to know that the MyLink head unit is a 2013 era design and cannot support Apple CarPlay, Android Auto. No proven options for aftermarket support either, if that capability is important to you. I highlight this because of what you said you like about the Honda.

I came from the G8GT to a manual ‘16 SS, primarily for the transmission choice. It is a great car, a “better” driver than the G8, though I would love to still have that car as it had its own “presence” that I don’t think the SS quite has.

Anyway, search is your friend, there are a lot of threads that start out just like yours that will help answer your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Hi all,

I'm a current 2009 G8 GT owner living just outside of Baltimore Maryland.

Though I love the car, my G8 is just too lean on modern amenities. The miles are taking their toll it ain't holding up too good either. My wife got a 2016 Honda Civic when they came out. Every time I drive it, I find myself messing with all the cool features it has and thinking, "****, I wish my car did that".

So, I'm jonesing for something new and high-tech but with that same bad-ass muscle under the hood. The SS seems like the best option, but GM has kinda let me down so I'm not quite sold yet. My biggest fear is that if I go with anything putting out less than 350 hp, I'm going to hate it. My "G" turned me into a throttle junkie and I know finding anything comparable will be tough.

I'm not a mechanic or a modder but I like to tinker and I do a lot of DIY work on my cars when I can. So, hopefully I can contribute from time to time.

Looking forward to reading about your cars and getting good intel to feed my gearbox. I'm really interested to know the differences between the model years. Please tell me everything. The good, the bad, the ugly and the awesome.

Thank you very much.

Go to CARMAX and test drive the SS and any of the Cadillac V cars .. you should get satisfaction somewhere in those ….

several members here own both ...

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Welcome!

From your description, it sounds like you would really love a Kia Stinger! As our SS's are not tech laden like your wife Honda, but the Kia is. I talked to a Kia owner once and that's what he said that he liked most about it, that it was fast and high tech.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Pinetree

Go to CARMAX and test drive the SS and any of the Cadillac V cars .. you should get satisfaction somewhere in those ….

several members here own both ...
Yeah. I was thinking about doing that but I don't want to fall in love on a one night stand. I want to get to know her first. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I'll marry her and only on the honeymoon do I find out that she snores and laughs like a hyena. lol

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Welcome!

From your description, it sounds like you would really love a Kia Stinger! As our SS's are not tech laden like your wife Honda, but the Kia is. I talked to a Kia owner once and that's what he said that he liked most about it, that it was fast and high tech.
I can imagine something has to make up for their resale hits.

There were 5 pages of Stingers for sale just for the GT2, wonder why?!

Typical Kia resale will hit them hard - buy one when that happens if you want one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome!

Stinger... huh. Well, I guess I'm not looking for that high tech. Just a lot more that my G is packing. By "high tech" I mean touch screen display, quality sound system, Bluetooth, back-up camera, etc.
It's those little things that I crave. Oh... and that 70 extra horses sounds really nice too.

My G has none of that and it's not holding up well. I bought it used and though it had low mileage, I think that the previous owner must of ragged it a lot. I've only had it five years and I've spent half of that time and a lot of money battling one issue after another just trying to keep it functional.

I'm tired of spending money on repairs that I saved for upgrades. Time for something new and improved.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I hear ya', as I'm quite satisfied with mine. My wifes car is a little more technical when I want go tech, but it's still just a novelty, I'd rather have a real performance car under me, which is why I love my SS.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Yeah. I was thinking about doing that but I don't want to fall in love on a one night stand. I want to get to know her first. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I'll marry her and only on the honeymoon do I find out that she snores and laughs like a hyena. lol
I hear ya', as I'm quite satisfied with mine. My wifes car is a little more technical when I want go tech, but it's still just a novelty, I'd rather have a real performance car under me, which is why I love my SS.
oh common ..you can have 7 nights of sinful fun getting acquainted and then walk away before the shotgun comes out .. do it .. I would ...
at any case, no one is perfect .. same here .. its ignoring the little things that will keep you together …

see? Willy did not say FULLY satisfied or she wants to be on top …

:devil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can’t figure out to start new topic so will start here - new to site 2016 manual 21000 miles - doing well but recently acquired a Hellcat Redeye so want to narrow the HP/torque gap -
No capacity to do myself - looking at Hennessey and Lingenfelter regarding 650 HP supercharger (also considering Lingenfelter 427 CID 570 HP NA rebuild and Lingenfelter full LS7 630 HP NA replacement) - supercharger quite a bit cheaper than NA options - thoughts?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love the "tech" features of my 16 SS, but just got a new 2019 GMC Sierra SLT that makes it feel antiquated, like the Nav, Android Auto, and just the overall interface of the newer GM dash, BUT I also know it'll be antiquated in a year or so. My wife wants a 2020 Yukon to replace her 2014 Honda Odyssey EXL which once was a technical wow to us, and now feels old and dated. Bottom line is, the cars now are like cell phones they're old as soon as they come out. Now what I do appreciate in the SS that I'm not sure the G8 has is the rear view, cooled seats, and mag ride.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Can’t figure out to start new topic so will start here - new to site 2016 manual 21000 miles - doing well but recently acquired a Hellcat Redeye so want to narrow the HP/torque gap -
No capacity to do myself - looking at Hennessey and Lingenfelter regarding 650 HP supercharger (also considering Lingenfelter 427 CID 570 HP NA rebuild and Lingenfelter full LS7 630 HP NA replacement) - supercharger quite a bit cheaper than NA options - thoughts?

Don’t want to trash up OPs thread, but recommend you do some research on Hennessey first. They do some cool stuff for publicity, but reportedly fall down on the everyday customer jobs. Buyer beware. Include Livernois in your builder pool, they know the SS well and have a presence on this forum. With all builders, you need to do your research, be clear in your expectations and then stay involved with the project. Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm an owner just east of Baltimore. Seems like a lot of people cropping up in our area. If you want a closer look at the car and features, you can PM me and we can see if we can work something out.

Also, if you're really tech obsessed, you might want to hold off and take a look at the new Cadillac CT5. Given how they just announced a sub-$40k base price, the sport trim 3.0T/10-speed model is probably sub-$50k and will drop rapidly on the used market. It's pretty much guaranteed to be faster and more nimble than the G8 GT. You might even like the current gen CTS V-Sport on the used market.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh common ..you can have 7 nights of sinful fun getting acquainted and then walk away before the shotgun comes out .. do it .. I would ...
at any case, no one is perfect .. same here .. its ignoring the little things that will keep you together …

/forum/images/SSforums_vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
😄

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I love my SS. I have a 2016 that has the Magnetic Ride control, and the multimode exhaust. For me, one of the best features is the heads up display. The rest of the tech is fine but I can do without. It is just a great, solid, powerful car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love my SS. I have a 2016 that has the Magnetic Ride control, and the multimode exhaust. For me, one of the best features is the heads up display. The rest of the tech is fine but I can do without. It is just a great, solid, powerful car.
Impressive lineup of previous vehicles. I see a G8 GT in there. :wink

Can you offer any comparison thoughts? Anything mechanically significant?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

:devil

:laugh

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Impressive lineup of previous vehicles. I see a G8 GT in there. :wink

Can you offer any comparison thoughts? Anything mechanically significant?

To the G8GT, engine of course. L76 vs LS3. Suspension, chassis, electronics, all different. ‘14s are kinda an improved hybrid of the GT and GXP, 15s and later have the magride and supporting mods; 16s and 17s have dual mode exhaust, Brembos all the way around. There are other differences in the MY’s but the above are the major mechanical differences that come to mind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts