Chevy SS Forum banner

Looking for the best 2017 performance modifications with the least amount of risk?

6K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  soundsmith 
#1 ·
First of all I would like to apologize in advance for this because I've done a lot of reading and seems like there's a few of these threads referencing this topic but I'm unsure which route to take. I've been reading here for years and now need some proper guidance because I'm at a crossroad of modifying or stepping up to a new vehicle.

I have a 2016 automatic car and the only thing I've installed is a Rotofab cold air intake. It's never had anything break on it since I purchased in 2017 and that's been great! The car will be paid off, it's out of warranty and I truly love driving the car in manual mode. I would like to get more pep out of the car and basically what I've read is all I need to get are new headers and get a proper tune to unlock its true engine potential(?).

This is my only car, I'm not a gear-head (I would like to be but it's not my skill-set) and I'm not looking to have $10k in mods only to have things break to which I have to keep flat bedding it to a shop for someone else to diagnose and repair. I don't mind spending the money and having everything upgraded by a professional speed shop I would just like to make the car a bit more fun.

Would someone be able to comment and let me know what the best engine/exhaust modifications to the car could be with the least amount of issues down the road please? If there's a thread I need to reread please let me know. Thank you very much : )

See less See more
Reactions: willy92
#2 ·
Good luck with the search and the slippery slope. I’ve found for myself mods are like crack and you can’t get enough. J/k but to me it’s an endless pursuit. It seems like a tune and headers would be a good start. You’ll def get some gains and also some more exhaust notes which im sure you’d appreciate.

#3 ·
^^^^^ second that^^^^^
Modest cam gives power a good bump too. For reliability might
want to add lifters as well as valve springs and trunnion upgrade.
It's usually not mentioned as part of a cam upgrsde, don't ask
how I know and I thought .590" harmless. And most the time it
is. Don't go too mild and you won't have regrets!

#4 ·
I like to take the less common path, targeting mods that tend to address short comings rather than focusing on power. Usually, power is a byproduct of the modification. For example, you need a pcvcatch can. You would be surprised with how much oil your stock ls3 will consume through the intake.

By catching the oil before it gets to the intake, you'll actually help keep the intake cleaner, allowing for a more predictable value for fuel evaporation off of the intake runner walls. This can help prevent detonation, which can eventually lead to safer power gains.

In that vein, I recommend a che rocker trunnion upgrade, catch can and 1 7/8 long tube headers to start. If you want to keep going from there, reassess: your priorities may have shifted after you do those mods.

#5 ·
For an auto car “starter” kit I would go with the Livernois tune and intake. Small power gains but significant improvements to the auto shift logic, etc. This is a setup you can easily revert to stock, it is well tested and supported by Livernois (they own an SS) and many forum users have started here and been happy with the results. I am not one of them, so I am summarizing what you will find if you search the forum for Livernois.

The only “drawback” is it is a canned, mail-order tune rather than a custom or remote tune for your specific vehicle; rather they have multiple SS configurations they have tweaked their custom tune for, and can support a variety of different mods (intakes, headers,etc)

Read up about them on this forum, then go to their website (MYCALIBRATOR TUNERS) and see if it is something you want to give a try.

Something like this may be “enough,” but modding is addictive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Some good valid points here. Catch can is a must! I saw my plugs and manifold during my lsa swap. They were coated and manifold had oil pouring out when you face the opening down.

headers and a tune is a nice upgrade. Also I would refrain from buying a tune module from Diablo and livernois. The trans tunes are junk and make your car bucks like it’s a manual power shifting.PatG tuning does really nice remote tuning using either efi love or hptuners and this will be good for further mods if you want to do more stuff. Those canned tunes can only go so far and they only work with certain mods. To me is a waste unless you go full tilt with one company but that locks you in to them only for mods and options.

Rocker arms are an excellent upgrade too as they can push out and have needle bearings going through the engine.

Since you don’t plan on doing the work yourself go find a local reputable shop that does this stuff all the time and talk with them about your goals then do what’s in your budget.

#7 ·
The natural next step then is a set of longtube headers. Figure about $2k for a set of quality catted SS headers and $500 (? dunno, I did mine myself) for install. Then $500 or so for a tune, which is a necessity to maximize the setup plus prevent OBD2 codes/check engine light from being thrown and failing the annual OBD2 emissions test if so subjected.

That will bump you from your current 350-360 rear wheel horsepower to about 400, give you a little more aggressive exhaust note but otherwise really have a negligible impact on long term reliability. The trans tune on an auto will also greatly help with the shift quality particularly at WOT where the factory tune is extremely mushy. I also echo the sentiment about putting a catch can on there and keeping oil out of the intake, which will help keep things cleaner over the long haul.

You'll have a roughly 450hp family sedan that can just about hang with the current SS Camaros, Mustang GTs and 392 Hemi cars give or take. Enough power to roast the tires if you want but not so much that you can't put the power to the pavement or shorten your drivetrain life and start breaking parts. Enough power to get yourself into trouble speeds quickly but not so much its a headache to deal with on the street or send you scurrying for shelter in a downpour. :)

Just my opinion that's probably biased a bit because that's how I set mine up. I have another LS vehicle with heavier mods and keep resisting the urge to add more power to the SS and turn it into another sunny weather only toy that needs constant attention.

Reactions: z51vett
#8 ·
The problem is once you break that seal you may want more.

I personally wouldn't even do anything - if you are really satisfied with the current performance and on the fence.

If you think it needs just little more, I would do a tune and leave the stock air intake alone. Depending on where you live. The stock airbox flows pretty well.

#9 ·
Okay, this'll sound strange from a guy with my modifications. If it was my car, and I wanted a bit more reliable power out of a daily driver, and "don't mind spending the money", I would take a different route. I would leave the exhaust alone, and to the extent possible I would leave the intake alone. I would take the car to a reputable performance shop and have an LSA installed with a conservative tune. No smaller pulley, no lean is mean glory pull macho numbers, just an LSA with a conservative, safe, reliable tune. Your car will have plenty more power without being unruly, your reliability should not be affected depending on the shop and tune, and somewhere down the road should you decide you want more or have a different daily the seed is planted and the groundwork is laid. You won't even have to crack open the engine. They could certainly pop the valve covers off while there and do a trunnion upgrade if you desire.
The LSA is an excellent piece, provides ample power, isn't too big and is a great step up. All of the other modifications can certainly still follow if you desire, but this one alone will give you everything that you are looking for and reinvigorate your passion for the SS and all of it's wonderful qualities.

#12 ·
I agree. Reliability daily driver with some extra oomph. I love the stock exhaust tones and considered putting it back on but the racer in me put headers on and it’s loud with it open. I mostly keep my valves closed. Love my lsa too but prolly should’ve kept the stock pulley on. The car is a beast tho with the smaller. Still had plenty of street manners. Would’ve saved money too if I didn’t opt for the smaller pulley. It snowballs and you need injectors.

Lsa stock pulley pump gas 91 tune with the stock exhaust, catch can, upgrade rocker arms to a bronze bushing, hardened pushrods. Solid setup right there!

#10 ·
that's very interesting 15 super sport. so if you went back in time instead of a pretty sick NA build you'd go lsa and not much else? why is that? reliability, bad manners, problems?

i ask because i've been hemming and hawing about a build, and was looking at yours as a bit of a gold standard, so it's interesting to read you write that.

#11 ·
You misinterpret my post. I'd change nothing on my build. No issues whatsoever 15,000 miles in. Manners are fantastic, stock clutch holding up well, 800RPM idle, etc. It is everything that I had hoped for and more. My build is and was about a handsome sedan with modern accoutrements and superb handling meshing up with an old school build on a RWD platform with a pushrod V8 and a manual transmission. The best of both worlds if you will, it is to me anyway, perfect.

The OP is looking for safe reliable power in a daily driver. My Callaway SC540 Silverado had a 6.2L engine mated to a 1.9L supercharger. It had nearly identical street manners as my 2007 VortecMax Silverado. It was just like driving every other new LS based Silverado until you hit the gas. I was quite fond of it's safe, reliable, almost docile but there when you need it power. It didn't raise eyebrows, draw unneeded attention or wake the neighbors, it just did what it did, and was impeccably well mannered for daily driving, with the ability to open up and plant a grin on your face. It was to me a perfect daily driver.

#14 ·
This is indeed a very slippery slope. Speed/power is more addicting than meth. If you have great self-control, a cam swap with the exhaust will be fine. Just keep in mind that with a cam swap comes some additional valve train maintenance that everyone forgets about until they suck a valve.

I started with a stock '14. Traded that for a '17 6mt. At 25k, I started the mods. First was cam and exhaust (434 rwhp). I enjoyed it for a while but then I got a good deal on an LSA (570 rwhp)

I started 1/2 mile racing and 143mph wasn't fast enough for me. So I swapped the rear differential and went E85 (640ish rwhp) which got me to 153mph. But I still want more. So now I am trying to figure out how to get more speed without compromising the reliability of the car.

#16 ·
#15 ·
SIGH!!!!

I feel compelled to point out that Crack, Heroin,,, Meth,,, and Mods,,, have a LOT in common!!! This from someone who has made it clear,,, I have had (although not NOW,, or in the recent past!!),, and will always have,,,,,dependency issues!!! Since I have always had massively modified rides,,, since High School, I purposely purchased this car,,, because it ticked enough boxes,,, that I would NOT have to go to the Pipe/Needle of MODIFICATION!!!

Perhaps a new thread,,,,, Modifications Anonymous,,, may be in order here,,, at some point!!!

At some point,,, it's like,,,, THIS!!!

🤣

#17 ·
SIGH!!!!

I feel compelled to point out that Crack, Heroin,,, Meth,,, and Mods,,, have a LOT in common!!! ...

🤣
For $10k and reliability, Lingenfelter would be my dealer man and I'd let them shoot me up with their 525 package. 😵

I know I could spend 10k elsewhere and get more power but LPE has a solid rep as an organization and a 3 year warranty to boot--it'll be where I go as soon as I find an extra 10k lying around.

Reactions: ESindon
#25 ·
Thanks to everyone who commented here. I wanted to give this thread a little time to be able to see all the responses and I feel like this will be the route I'll be taking once I find a nice speed shop out by me in the western suburbs of Chicago.

Reactions: Deadman and fluxu8
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.