Chevy SS Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1225 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I don't 100% agree with your numbers but...that doesn't matter.

At least you are protecting somebody with that application. Actually your are protecting yourself & your household. Which is way way way better than doing nothing.
Okay, I'm 50% altruistic in protecting my family, haha. If those weren't the numbers you were referring to, I'm just looking at previous mask viral efficacy studies during pre-COVID times. Regular hand-washing and sanitizing if I'm even remotely around people, and even deciding to home-school* the kid, all in an effort to keep us safe. I'm not a virus-denier, but I disagree with most of the "news" and "science" being pushed by the media and politicians and have from the beginning.

*Disclaimer- the home-schooling thing was partially a COVID decision, but the politicization of schools was also a large factor.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Unfortunately, although it would appear to make sense it doesn't work like that.

The infectious dose for COVID-19 isn't known yet, but it's likely just a few hundred particles. An incredibly small amount given how small they are.

e.g For a Norovirus it was found that just 18 particles could cause an infection.

Yes sir, the more you can do to minimize viral load the better. One step helps to clean up some of the mistakes of the other.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Have their been any studies on viral loading with COVID? I've seen stories showing some with regular close-contact to the virus end up with more severe infections, but I don't trust many stories I see.

Ugh, had norovirus once. THAT was horrible.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Masks are much more effective at protecting the wearer, not those around them. My wearing of a mask is 100% NOT altruistic, I wear my mask to protect me from others.
I think it helps the wearer too, just not as much as people think. I see this as a problem because of a false sense of security. They say viruses go right through a regular cheap mask. A regular cheap mask slows down/stops the velocity of the particles. Just keep it clean or throw it away and I bet it help you.
Do you have a good one like a N95?
Iv'e thought about those types for particles with a one-way breathe hole, but those won't stop the virus coming from the wearer.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
“Because from a medical perspective there is no proven effectiveness of masks, the Cabinet has decided that there will be no national obligation for wearing non-medical masks” Van Ark said. "

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I think it helps the wearer too, just not as much as people think. I see this as a problem because of a false sense of security. They say viruses go right through a regular cheap mask. A regular cheap mask slows down/stops the velocity of the particles. Just keep it clean or throw it away and I bet it help you.
Do you have a good one like a N95?
Iv'e thought about those types for particles with a one-way breathe hole, but those won't stop the virus coming from the wearer.
Yeah, non-valved N95. Local medical places wouldn't take them, so I gave some to friends in the medical field and kept enough for the family otherwise.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Unfortunately, although it would appear to make sense it doesn't work like that.

The infectious dose for COVID-19 isn't known yet, but it's likely just a few hundred particles. An incredibly small amount given how small they are.
It does work like that, you demonstrated as much. It just isn't known yet how much viral load it requires, and it also depends on how adapt your own immune system is at solving the problem.

Steve, I'm pretty sure even you would rather wear a mask if someone coughed on you. Even then you would have wished the other person had been wearing one when they coughed. So I don't really understand the angle you are taking on this. These are called best practices, not perfect practices.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Yeah, non-valved N95. Local medical places wouldn't take them, so I gave some to friends in the medical field and kept enough for the family otherwise.
Yep got it, the non valved. Understood.

But anything that catches your moisture is better than nothing.

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,834 Posts
And the last year he actually practiced medicine was when? I don't know about you, but if I contracted the virus, I would much rather see a physician who's been treating patients with the virus since it began, than see Dr. Fauci. He's a 79 year old geezer who needs to retire and go away. He probably would if he wasn't such an egomaniac.
Well, I haven't worked as a Techincian since 1982, but, I'm still a technician. I was in the business for 50 years. I'm sure that he keeps up, just as I do.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
What makes you so sure that I'm not following all the guidelines?

To repeat what I have said before; I am wearing a mask as required, social distancing, etc,etc. and no I'm not anti-vaccine.

As for the viral load; in some animal viruses only a single particle is needed to cause an infection. It's unknown with COVID-19 at this point

Best practices today maybe, two months ago the same experts said quite definitively that masks were not needed.

It does work like that, you demonstrated as much. It just isn't known yet how much viral load it requires, and it also depends on how adapt your own immune system is at solving the problem.

Steve, I'm pretty sure even you would rather wear a mask if someone coughed on you. Even then you would have wished the other person had been wearing one when they coughed. So I don't really understand the angle you are taking on this. These are called best practices, not perfect practices.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Well, I haven't worked as a Techincian since 1982, but, I'm still a technician. I was in the business for 50 years. I'm sure that he keeps up, just as I do.
So you haven't turned a wrench in 38 years? Am I understanding that correctly? If so I ask you; do you think you know just as much about a, say, 2020 Chevy Tahoe engine as the mechanic who's been working on them every day for the last five years? Or how about an electric vehicle? Do you suppose the technology has changed a little in the last 38 years, and that new tools and methods have been developed; or is everything exactly the same as it was almost 4 decades ago?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Don't you have to get refreshers/updates to keep your MD?
I would agree younger doctors on average are probably better than older ones.
Also, viruses probably haven't changed in how they are transmitted generally. Treated sure, transmitted, no.
I'm not a doctor but I play one on the internet.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
What makes you so sure that I'm not following all the guidelines?

To repeat what I have said before; I am wearing a mask as required, social distancing, etc,etc. and no I'm not anti-vaccine.

As for the viral load; in some animal viruses only a single particle is needed to cause an infection. It's unknown with COVID-19 at this point

Best practices today maybe, two months ago the same experts said quite definitively that masks were not needed.
You say you follow all the guidelines but you also continually post a lot of "masks make it worse" type stuff. You say viral load doesn't matter then your reasoning is says that it does matter but that we dont know how much it matters.

Even if 1 particle in your anecdotal animal example is the viral load is enough to trigger an infection, the severity of the infections is likely to be less severe than if you are infected with 1,000,000 particles. This is true with the flu, with SARS, with MERS (other Coronaviruses).

I'm getting tired of hearing the line about "the experts switching the guidelines about masks". No one believed that. It was pure panic control, you saw what Americans would do for toilet paper, imagine if they had said "masks might save your life". You would have people raiding construction sites and hospitals.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Ex-Roomie in DC just kept (7) N95 masks and gave rest to his family. Labels them Su-Sat for daily rotation.

(Sold him my 1996 Z28 when he worked in Huntsville but now is a LS Hater after "evolving" to Jaguar V8 Supercharged. Still has XKR droptop and recently purchased 2019 XJL Collection. When he moved in 1987, he drove '67 Fairlane inline 6 with three on the tree so was brainwashed since he got licensed...lol)

Reactions: SS_Scott

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I have never written "masks make it worse" or anything like.

Granted, I have linked to articles/studies etc. that have shown that, but I have never said it, as I don't know if they do or don't. You are just making that assumption.

I posted a link to an article on Chinese electric cars today. It doesn't mean I'm going to buy one.

So the experts lied to the American people in order to avoid a panic situation.

You say you follow all the guidelines but you also continually post a lot of "masks make it worse" type stuff. You say viral load doesn't matter then your reasoning is says that it does matter but that we dont know how much it matters.

Even if 1 particle in your anecdotal animal example is the viral load is enough to trigger an infection, the severity of the infections is likely to be less severe than if you are infected with 1,000,000 particles. This is true with the flu, with SARS, with MERS (other Coronaviruses).

I'm getting tired of hearing the line about "the experts switching the guidelines about masks". No one believed that. It was pure panic control, you saw what Americans would do for toilet paper, imagine if they had said "masks might save your life". You would have people raiding construction sites and hospitals.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I have never written "masks make it worse" or anything like.

Granted, I have linked to articles/studies etc. that have shown that, but I have never said it, as I don't know if they do or don't. You are just making that assumption.
You are right, I am making that assumption. Because when you post something it becomes viewed as a personal endorsement unless you add commentary outright saying that you disagree with the article what you are posting.

Which is why I still really don't understand what you are trying to convey/convince us of.

So the experts lied to the American people in order to avoid a panic situation.
Yes, that is what I believe. I lied to my kid this morning about not having any more cookies because she doesn't understand why she can't have them for breakfast. At some point you diffuse the situation the best way you can so that we can all get out the door and to work on time. In this case the first responders needed them, and the general public needed to stay home. People lie, sometimes it's well intended even if it doesnt feel great.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Funny. I was at a drivethru the other day, they had a sign about using correct change, coin shortage....bla bla bla....
I asked the gal what's with that? She said there is a horrible coin shortage all over the US. I then asked her if they had a problem with not enough coins, she said...."nope" lol

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,834 Posts
So you haven't turned a wrench in 38 years? Am I understanding that correctly? If so I ask you; do you think you know just as much about a, say, 2020 Chevy Tahoe engine as the mechanic who's been working on them every day for the last five years? Or how about an electric vehicle? Do you suppose the technology has changed a little in the last 38 years, and that new tools and methods have been developed; or is everything exactly the same as it was almost 4 decades ago?
I won't say that I know as much as a top tech, but, I keep up, all of my training is current. I did most of the work on my race cars and have twice taken a car apart down to the last nut and bolt. I did a few engines in the late nineties for myself, and even built a rotary engine about 8 years ago. I've been involved with most forms of car repair most everyday of my life including electric cars. I just recently let my ASE certifications expire in 2018. I have testified in court, twice, as an expert witness.

Reactions: Drone

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You are right, I am making that assumption. Because when you post something it becomes viewed as a personal endorsement unless you add commentary outright saying that you disagree with the article what you are posting.

Which is why I still really don't understand what you are trying to convey/convince us of.
I don't know the actual reason, but I always just assumed he was presenting information that you don't see in the mainstream media. As with all stories, I approach them skeptically until I've done more research. As with most stories, words mean something and the phrasing of most articles will give a hint at the slant so I know where to start digging.

1141 - 1160 of 1225 Posts