Chevy SS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
From that article:

KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM STUDY:

1. The research, which has not yet undergone standard peer review evaluation, does not question the efficiency of social distancing.

2. The research looks specifically at the impact of police-enforced home containment policies in some European countries.

3. The work suggests that social distancing may be just as effective as home containment.

4.The results show that the epidemic was already in decline (that is, the number of cases was growing less and less rapidly for 2 to 3 weeks before the lockdown and kept declining at the same rate afterwards) before the full lockdown, possibly thanks to social distancing measures already in place.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
What we have is not a full lockdown. China did that and got past it in a month or so. Because we can't do what China did (for better or worse), we have a partial lockdown even in the strictest states with some bizarre "do's" and "do not's". So we have stopped exponential growth and have a more linear or flat spread. At least that's how i see it, the numbers in my county seem to reflect that.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Yeah, without full lockdown, I think the "essential" people were spreading it plenty. Most everything is showing that the vast majority of positive people are asymptomatic. I'm not so sure the curve was even slowed in most places, but it's hard to say without widespread testing.

·
Super Moderator
5,815 Posts
You know,
JP Morgan: the place to go for news about disease transmission.

/s
That seems absolutely foolish to me. I go to CNN and their expert panelist Greta thunberg

·
Registered
705 Posts
lockdown works if you do it early and keep it going. the results in NZ and Aust show what can be acheived. NZ has had 21 deaths and Aust 100 so far, we locked down pretty early but a cruise ship caused a lot of our mischief as it had sailed from Sydney towards Auckland but returned. there must have been a passenger joined in Sydney that had arrived from o/s and brought it with them.

·
Super Moderator
5,815 Posts
or that other guy - Mr Trump. he seems on top of it.
It's actually President Trump, at least here in the States. And I would no sooner go to him for medical advice than I would my doctor for political advice.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
lockdown works if you do it early and keep it going. the results in NZ and Aust show what can be acheived. NZ has had 21 deaths and Aust 100 so far, we locked down pretty early but a cruise ship caused a lot of our mischief as it had sailed from Sydney towards Auckland but returned. there must have been a passenger joined in Sydney that had arrived from o/s and brought it with them.
This is key. Nowadays we might be able to do it, but 6 months ago there was no way. Very few take fire drills seriously until after they’ve been through a real fire.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
^^ I grew up in Walnut Creek, and both my kids were born at that very hospital. My daughter works locally in the mental health field and mentioned as much to me the other day. She said it's just off the charts, as are domestic abuse cases.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
"Doctors at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek say they have seen more deaths by suicide during this quarantine period than deaths from the COVID-19 virus."
So, suicide because of lockdown because of virus? Seems like a COVID death to me. Report it to the CDC...

(note sarcasm)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
What we have is not a full lockdown. China did that and got past it in a month or so. Because we can't do what China did (for better or worse), we have a partial lockdown even in the strictest states with some bizarre "do's" and "do not's". So we have stopped exponential growth and have a more linear or flat spread. At least that's how i see it, the numbers in my county seem to reflect that.
Speaking of, here you can go to the local strip club but you can't go to church. Now that is a bizarre one, no?
:unsure:
Some of us would like to go to both. I kid....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
"Doctors at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek say they have seen more deaths by suicide during this quarantine period than deaths from the COVID-19 virus."

Also, what about the millions that can't (or won't because they are scared) go to the doctor or hospital to get care they really need.

421 - 440 of 475 Posts