Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting ready to order the MyCalibrator with aggressive+ engine and trans tuning from LMS but wondered about my intake tract since it's not OEM but it's also not a RotoFab or VCM. I ended up getting an '05-'06 GTO intake elbow (no silencer baffles like on the OEM SS intake tube) that matched up perfectly to the factory airbox with K&N filter combo. Now, I know this is a very minor "mod" but I also know that it improved airflow enough over the baffled/silenced OEM intake tube that I got a pronounced seat of pants gain past say 5000 RPM all the way to 6600. To verify this I did before/after runs ona couple of OBDII iphone apps and there was a consistent gain of 1.5-2mph in 1/8 and 1/4 mile runs. So, I want to keep this poor man's CAI set up to run with my LMS tune but I would go back to the OEM crap tube if I have to for peace of mind with the tune since it's a known quantity. Additionally, I had my mid-muffler removed as well but that was purely for sound as it was not a flow restriction. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't think your CAI is going to make a big difference. I would let LMS know what you have done they might run one of their stock tunes with a CAI. The computer has long and short term fuel trims which will take care of some of the adjustments as you drive the computer will learn.

Check the long term and short term trim and if they are way out then then have them adjust the tune.

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Isn't this a question best answered by LMS ???

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I did my LMS tune and OTR induction a few months apart, they said it would be ok. I forgot which one that I did first, though. But later, I did end up backing the the shift aggressiveness down to just aggressive instead of aggressive +. I didn't like it shiftng that hard all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
I data logged after my tune was installed. Sent to tuner to verify all is well.
I had intake tube from Australian car parts with KN for 2 years, I switched to
VCM last August.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
VCM last August.
You might have mentioned this before, but, how do you like the VCM vs the stock intake with a tube?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't this a question best answered by LMS ???
Why yes, it is. And when I typed the original post I suspected you may chime in with that exact response. Well done, Sir. (y) But to your point, I did call LMS to speak with them as well, I just wanted to solicit similar forum member experiences since I figured someone had a similar set up with the LMS tune.

I don't think your CAI is going to make a big difference. I would let LMS know what you have done they might run one of their stock tunes with a CAI. The computer has long and short term fuel trims which will take care of some of the adjustments as you drive the computer will learn.

Check the long term and short term trim and if they are way out then then have them adjust the tune.
I did my LMS tune and OTR induction a few months apart, they said it would be ok. I forgot which one that I did first, though. But later, I did end up backing the the shift aggressiveness down to just aggressive instead of aggressive +. I didn't like it shiftng that hard all the time.
VCM last August.
Thanks for the responses, LMS confirmed what I thought and what you all stated - My set up essentially flows like any other CAI so the initial tune they send will reflect that. I'll datalog a couple of WOT 20-130 runs and see if anything requires attention.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts