Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
interesting, i have followed the instructions on the tuner and put it back to stock but don't know if its unlocked at this time. i will be calling them tomorrow and hope they will be helpful. i hope i don't end up with a dusty brick on my bench also. i did not know about disconnecting the battery when going back to stock.

·
Super Moderator
13,238 Posts
Disconnecting the power source WHILE performing a re-flash will brick the ECU for sure.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
interesting, i have followed the instructions on the tuner and put it back to stock but don't know if its unlocked at this time. i will be calling them tomorrow and hope they will be helpful. i hope i don't end up with a dusty brick on my bench also. i did not know about disconnecting the battery when going back to stock.
If the tuner box said the load was complete, and the car runs, you should be back to stock and unlocked, they don't lock the stock tune.

Let us know how it turns out....:serious

·
Registered
1,988 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Going back to stock shouldn't be an issue. I know a few people that have without any issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@Pinetree - agreed that it is a surefire way to brick the ECU, but that is what Livernois told me on the phone, after many many calls. Either way, I too have one sitting under the workbench gathering dust.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts

Please don't post crazy inflated information. A new ECU is not even close to a grand...

Not crazy info,,,, if you rely on dealer service departments for all your needs!! Agreed the pricing out the door will vary based on lotsa factors,,, like location, and or dealer honesty for instance!!! Out here in Cali,,,,, a friggin brake job at a dealer can set you back a couple of grand!!!

Whatever Dude!! I'm out!! L8R Dayz!!!

:serious

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
No, that's out the door, parts labor and tax. Labor 2.0 = $440.00

·
Registered
53 Posts
i called livernois today and he said just make sure its in the run position and it will reinstall the stock tune and unlocked so i will report back after i get back to the dyno. thanks to all for your comments and thoughts on this.
Any news on this? I’ve now run into the same issue with trying to reinstall the stock tune. Went through the procedures normally to reinstall stock tune and system gave me the thumbs up, including CEL for headers. Installer put on the Whipple and supporting mods, and it’s now at the tuner for dyno work. Got a call from them yesterday that the PCM is locked and to reach out to the tuner to unlock. Have tried 3 different routes of communication to Livernois to get some support and potentially have them resend me my stock tune to reinstall, without luck so far. If I can’t get through to them tomorrow I might just go ahead and get a new unit.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Any news on this? I’ve now run into the same issue with trying to reinstall the stock tune. Went through the procedures normally to reinstall stock tune and system gave me the thumbs up, including CEL for headers. Installer put on the Whipple and supporting mods, and it’s now at the tuner for dyno work. Got a call from them yesterday that the PCM is locked and to reach out to the tuner to unlock. Have tried 3 different routes of communication to Livernois to get some support and potentially have them resend me my stock tune to reinstall, without luck so far. If I can’t get through to them tomorrow I might just go ahead and get a new unit.
Sorry to hear about this, that is not good, hope you get it resolved without spending a lot of cash....:serious

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Not crazy info,,,, if you rely on dealer service departments for all your needs!! Agreed the pricing out the door will vary based on lotsa factors,,, like location, and or dealer honesty for instance!!! Out here in Cali,,,,, a friggin brake job at a dealer can set you back a couple of grand!!!

Whatever Dude!! I'm out!! L8R Dayz!!!

:serious
That is ridiculous for a brake job. Maybe for a ZL1 with a 2pc rotor where they are very expensive per piece at RETAIL. :)

L8R

$934.32 at our dealer.:grin
That is nuts. I would never do a tune where anyone locks it at that price to fix it.

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
That is nuts.
California IS nuts !!!

Did you catch his store's labor rate in another thread ???

As well as parts markup over "list" ???

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
California is the land of opportunity.

The cost of living here is 52% higer than the average for the rest of the country, ...2nd only to Hawaii.
This is the home of,..."If you don't like it, go somewhere else".

I was talking to a customer from out of state, We were standing in the parking lot, because he couldn't get in that long line of cars that extended out into the street. He asked me,"where are all of those cars going?" I told him they are here for service, they are being checked in. He asked, "are you giving something away?" I said only if they have it coming. He then asked, "are you guy really cheap?" My answer to that was...No.

He left his car with me for a gang of work on his '88 GVan and will pick it up Monday.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts