Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to my tuner guy and put my SS on the dyno only to find the tune the original owner put in from livernois will not let us in to my cars computer. im going to call them on Tuesday and find out what the heck is going on.. anyone else have this problem, if so what did you do about it.

·
Premium Member
6,835 Posts
Livernois locks their tunes. It’s a common practice. Can you contact the previous owner to get the necessary cables?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Not Good!!!

Without the original Livernois tuner appliance,,, which I might add, should have been included when you bought the car,,,,, YOU'RE SCREWED!!!! That tuner has the original calibrations locked in to it and without it, it cannot be restored, without purchasing a new ECU and then flashing it to the VIN, with original calibrations!!!! The tuner is locked to the VIN #!!!! Even the purchase of a new tuner will not help, since the stock calibrations will not exist!!!!

I would contact the original owner if possible. Selling the car without it, and or disclosing the modification was done,,, is in my book,,, grounds for legal action!!!!

A new ECU will set you back several THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!

:crying

·
Premium Member
13,239 Posts
Did you buy it privately from the owner or from a dealer???

If private the owner screwed you and you didn't perform proper due diligence.

If dealer because it was tuned you have recourse if they did not disclose that fact.

·
Premium Member
13,239 Posts
I do believe you need to have the dealer initially program the new ECU ... :wink

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i have the tuner box and cable but i did not get the disc they sent him with the program in it. no instructions. can i just plug the tuner box in and try to figure out how to remove there tune and put it back to stock?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
well i have the tuner box and cable but i did not get the disc they sent him with the program in it. no instructions. can i just plug the tuner box in and try to figure out how to remove there tune and put it back to stock?
I think so, all the info is in the tuner box, plug it up and see what the choices are, it should have a choice to return to stock....

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Now Yer Gettin Somewhere!!

I think so, all the info is in the tuner box, plug it up and see what the choices are, it should have a choice to return to stock....

OK!! Plug it in,,, and it should have the original calibration locked in!!! You can restore that factory calibration. It will then be unlocked and your new Dyno Shop can have access to the ECU!!!! Tech Support at Livernois will be able to help you should any confusion arise.

SEEE,,, Easy Peasy!!!

:wink

·
Registered
2,081 Posts

I would suggest you source a set of the instructions on how to properly use the tuner first!! Thankfully, you are about 80% out of the woods if you still have that tuner (hopefully with your old stock tune still on it), but you don't want to inadvertently screw up by bumbling the reflash process.
:2cents:

·
Super Moderator
13,237 Posts
Don't know that I'd put much faith in a dynoman/shop that apparently didn't even ask if you had the Livernois tuning device or offer advice on next step.
Just sayin'....

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
You should also ask the shop doing the dyno tune, if they lock their tune. If they do, ask them not to lock the new tune. If they do lock it, go to another shop.

·
Premium Member
6,835 Posts
Step #1: CALL LIVERNOIS!
It’s their tune and equipment. They can make sure you do it right.
Step #2: Keep the car on a charger while you’re doing any tuning. Bad things can happen when voltage gets low.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
so I've been somewhat in this situation with Livernois and it did not end well. shame on me and shame on them. had Livernois tune in my 2014, had their tuner (full disclosure I did buy it from another member here used but it had been reset and original Livernois tune removed), tried to put the stock tune back on when I upgraded to LSA, and ended up buying a new ECU. it wasn't thousands of dollars; it was $235 bucks two years ago. Livernois would not make good on their older tuner, said they could possibly upgrade the older tuner if I sent it in. have publicly stated I enjoyed the Livernois tune but did not enjoy their way of doing business when things get complicated.

so yes, new ecu and had to start with a factory tune loaded by my GM tech at MJD Performance. costly and a lesson learned about doing business in my own backyard (Livernois is all of 40 miles, have been to their shop many times, had their tune on a couple of other cars, they A R E N O T perfect).

·
Registered
27 Posts
so I've been somewhat in this situation with Livernois and it did not end well. shame on me and shame on them. had Livernois tune in my 2014, had their tuner (full disclosure I did buy it from another member here used but it had been reset and original Livernois tune removed), tried to put the stock tune back on when I upgraded to LSA, and ended up buying a new ECU. it wasn't thousands of dollars; it was $235 bucks two years ago. Livernois would not make good on their older tuner, said they could possibly upgrade the older tuner if I sent it in. have publicly stated I enjoyed the Livernois tune but did not enjoy their way of doing business when things get complicated.

so yes, new ecu and had to start with a factory tune loaded by my GM tech at MJD Performance. costly and a lesson learned about doing business in my own backyard (Livernois is all of 40 miles, have been to their shop many times, had their tune on a couple of other cars, they A R E N O T perfect).
Same here. ECU was locked when car was to be tuned, Livernois wouldn't help with anything, and continued stating "As long as you return it to stock, it should be unlocked", which as we all know now is BS. I did end up buying a ECU and programming at Chevy was about 400 otd. After unloading on Livernois, I was informed that while you are flashing back to stock, disconnect the battery and that ****SHOULD**** release the lock on the ECU. It was too late for me, but maybe you will get lucky. What do you have to lose at this point, as you essentially have a bricked ECU as it is. Just my .02.

CAUTION: Disconnecting the power source DURING any re-flash operation is a sure-fire way to brick the ECM. Safe to do only AFTER the entire flash operation has fully completed.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
my old ecu is sitting on my workbench for two years collecting dust. reminds me every time I'm in the garage how much fun this hobby is and at times how frustrating messing with GM factory stuff can be!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts