Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 equipped with a manual transmission that is basically stock. The only changes I've made to my car so far is removed the secondary cats, removed the baffle box from the intake and I use a K&N Hi-Flow OEM style air filter. I LOVE the performance of my car but a little extra would not be a bad thing. My question is what kind of real world performance increase would I see with the Livernois tune on a MANUAL transmission? I know the Livernois website says 27% increase in horsepower and 30% increase in torque. I would like to hear from anyone out there who have manual transmissions and the Livernois tune.
Also, does anyone know if there is a difference in the factory OEM tune between U.S. cars and the cars sold in Australia?

·
Registered
870 Posts
30-50hp , enough to feel it.

30% of 400HP = 120HP... no way a tune is going to do that w/o a turbo.

ppp

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
30-50hp , enough to feel it.

30% of 400HP = 120HP... no way a tune is going to do that w/o a turbo.

ppp
This is from the Livernois website "Our performance tuning is good for maximum gains of over 27hp, and 30# of torque with 93 octane!In addition to these performance enhancements,"
Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly?

·
Registered
870 Posts
yeah boss, you used %.

there is more performance on the engine from the get go so thats about the 30hp/30tq they are talking about.
once you add intake, exhaust, headers ,cam it will continue to go up.

if you go with Livernois , make sure they are aware you removed the 2ndary cats, might get a few more HP.

gl

ppp

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I have a 2017 equipped with a manual transmission that is basically stock. The only changes I've made to my car so far is removed the secondary cats, removed the baffle box from the intake and I use a K&N Hi-Flow OEM style air filter. I LOVE the performance of my car but a little extra would not be a bad thing. My question is what kind of real world performance increase would I see with the Livernois tune on a MANUAL transmission? I know the Livernois website says 27% increase in horsepower and 30% increase in torque. I would like to hear from anyone out there who have manual transmissions and the Livernois tune.
Also, does anyone know if there is a difference in the factory OEM tune between U.S. cars and the cars sold in Australia?
For some actual results of what you are asking, have you browsed any of the threads with Dyno Results? One in particular that has lots of postings from users is:

Stock & Modified SS Dyno Results

I have a 2016 manual with a Livernois tune that might be of particular interest since I went to the Dyno twice to try to capture results (just being a nerd)

Update with 2nd Dyno Visit after Livernois Tune

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Before I added headers and a blower I had a Livernois tune and CAI. Never dyno’d it but there was a very noticeable difference. Not as much of a difference as the auto guys feel but I thought it was worth it. Sort of led to other mods though lol. Gateway drug :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Add a cam, to suit the manual transmission and your driving rev range. Not necessarily big. LS3 responds well to a cam. I'm sure Livernois has just the upsell waiting for you.

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is from the Livernois website "Our performance tuning is good for maximum gains of over 27hp, and 30# of torque with 93 octane!In addition to these performance enhancements,"
Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly?
I don't read maximum gains as being the same as increasing maximum hp. You might pick up 27hp, but will that be peak or somewhere else on the curve?

my .02

Reactions: the Captain

·
Registered
2016, Stick, White
8 Posts
Aside from more power and torque, what else is different after a livernois tune on a manual? Throttle response, suspension, steering, rev limiter, etc? Or is it purely just power and torque?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Gets rid of the skip shift light (or function if you haven't already installed the harness). I believe rev limiter is a little higher, and I think speed limiter was changed as well, but that's not really a concern for me. Suspension and steering remain unchanged. The throttle mapping changed some, but throttle response (time from pushing gas pedal to engine responding) wasn't any quicker.

·
Registered
2016, Stick, White
8 Posts
Gets rid of the skip shift light (or function if you haven't already installed the harness). I believe rev limiter is a little higher, and I think speed limiter was changed as well, but that's not really a concern for me. Suspension and steering remain unchanged. The throttle mapping changed some, but throttle response (time from pushing gas pedal to engine responding) wasn't any quicker.
Thanks! Skip shift light? What harness?

I recently bought mine and it’s had some minor work done to it so I’m trying to learn what I can to see if I can figure out what else was done (like a tune). I bought it from a dealer so I don’t have the previous owner to reach out to. It’s got a rotofab CAI and I think a tune is the next thing I want to add (assuming it doesn’t already have one, ha)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Thanks! Skip shift light? What harness?

I recently bought mine and it’s had some minor work done to it so I’m trying to learn what I can to see if I can figure out what else was done (like a tune). I bought it from a dealer so I don’t have the previous owner to reach out to. It’s got a rotofab CAI and I think a tune is the next thing I want to add (assuming it doesn’t already have one, ha)

Skip shift is the car forcing the 1-4 shift at low throttle. You can either put in the $20 (in 2001 dollars) connector on the trans harness and still get the light, or have it programmed out completely which the LMS tune will do.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Skip shift is the car forcing the 1-4 shift at low throttle. You can either put in the $20 (in 2001 dollars) connector on the trans harness and still get the light, or have it programmed out completely which the LMS tune will do.
Or you can do both! I never removed my harness after getting tuned, haha.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Gotcha… for autos. That makes sense.

Nope, for manuals. The manual transmission locks out shifting to the usual second gear in some light throttle circumstances. Dangerous as hell in my experience.

·
Registered
2016, Stick, White
8 Posts
Nope, for manuals. The manual transmission locks out shifting to the usual second gear in some light throttle circumstances. Dangerous as hell in my experience.
Wow, I had no idea. That just seems crazy to me. I haven’t experienced this yet but I know I’d be very confused/pissed off if I did.

Thanks for the education.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Wow, I had no idea. That just seems crazy to me. I haven’t experienced this yet but I know I’d be very confused/pissed off if I did.

Thanks for the education.

Did you pick it up used? Might already have the skip shift delete done. I don't have a stick SS to compare but on the TA it was very intrusive, and somewhat counterintuitive as it would kick in at light throttle during normal driving...which for the 1 month that car was stock would just make you put the pedal down further and defeat it's purpose of fuel economy. Shifting 1st to 4th at 12mph is no fun.

·
Super Moderator
7,595 Posts
Did you pick it up used? Might already have the skip shift delete done. I don't have a stick SS to compare but on the TA it was very intrusive, and somewhat counterintuitive as it would kick in at light throttle during normal driving...which for the 1 month that car was stock would just make you put the pedal down further and defeat it's purpose of fuel economy. Shifting 1st to 4th at 12mph is no fun.
Mine only caught me a few times, all turning left (you know, with oncoming traffic... :rolleyes: ). Still cheap -

There are even cheaper versions out there, but the Muzzys piece is proven (y)

Reactions: copacetic1

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Mine only caught me a few times, all turning left (you know, with oncoming traffic... :rolleyes: ). Still cheap -
The skip shift is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous just for this reason. Catch someone unaware trying to turn left at the wrong time and they stall it. It surprises me that so-called fuel savings feature made it into production…

·
Super Moderator
7,595 Posts
The skip shift is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous just for this reason. Catch someone unaware trying to turn left at the wrong time and they stall it. It surprises me that so-called fuel savings feature made it into production…
And many get mad at GM, not realizing that the same "feature" appears on the Ford Mustang, the Dodge Challenger, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts