Chevy SS Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Got my spring in the mail very quickly. Installed it a couple days ago. The install was simple even for an old guy like me. A little bit of contorting yourself under the dash, but 10 minutes start to finish, max. I'm 62 and 80% of the cars that I've owned have been manual transmissions. This clutch with it's rapid break over feel at the mid-point was just tough to get used to. With the lighter spring, the first bit going down feels a little mushy, but the progression to the bottom is very good after that and the mid-point break over feeling is gone. Much smoother on the take up. The effort is slightly higher, but it is not what I would call a heavy clutch. 5* - would highly recommend.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Got my spring in the mail very quickly. Installed it a couple days ago. The install was simple even for an old guy like me. A little bit of contorting yourself under the dash, but 10 minutes start to finish, max. I'm 62 and 80% of the cars that I've owned have been manual transmissions. This clutch with it's rapid break over feel at the mid-point was just tough to get used to. With the lighter spring, the first bit going down feels a little mushy, but the progression to the bottom is very good after that and the mid-point break over feeling is gone. Much smoother on the take up. The effort is slightly higher, but it is not what I would call a heavy clutch. 5* - would highly recommend.
Thank you for the review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey, just a quick public shoutout as well. Thank you!

My spring install is because I switched over to a Monster triple disc. I followed the directions from Monster clutch, saying that I should remove the clutch spring. Clutch pedal effort was definitely much more noticeable. Not so bad that I'd think it was leg day at the gym. The pedal had a little loose wiggle at full release height. I didn't drive it like that, as the SS hibernates during this time of year. Finding the lighter spring, I thought it could take care of the free play. It did that and made the clutch pedal very easy to manipulate. Not enough that I can drive barefoot and push the clutch with my big toe. But I feel that I can do barefoot and use the ball of my foot. For the times I kick my flip flops off and cruise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally got my SS out from hibernation and installed the clutch spring.

Maybe the best 'bang for the buck' mod I've done on any car. Significantly improved, very predictable clutch takeup. I can now focus on driving instead of relearning how to work a clutch at every stop.

I only drove a couple dozen miles in the SS over the winter so I didn't notice any increased effort with the change. I did put a good coat of grease on the spring and worked it between the coils.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
Welcome to the SS Forums @Mrquang !!!

Once you have made 5 posts in any threads,,, log off,, wait a few minutes,,, log back on,,, and you will have access to the "Conversation" feature (Private Messaging) which is the preferred method of communication here!!! Then you can contact the OP directly with any questions!!

Good Luck!!

ES

·
Registered
31 Posts
Put mine in yesterday! (from the last batch) MUCH easier to "feel" the clutch engagement point. Thanks SSFanBoy!

Reactions: SSFanBoy

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Put mine in yesterday! (from the last batch) MUCH easier to "feel" the clutch engagement point. Thanks SSFanBoy!
Thank you, I’m very glad to hear that!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I just got my "new to me" 2016 Chevy SS this weekend. If there is another batch of springs made in the future I would be interested

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I just got my "new to me" 2016 Chevy SS this weekend. If there is another batch of springs made in the future I would be interested
Congrats, steel is so expensive right now I’d have to charge 3 times to get it to make sense. But I am hopeful it will come down at some point still this year.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Congrats, steel is so expensive right now I’d have to charge 3 times to get it to make sense. But I am hopeful it will come down at some point still this year.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Any advantage of doing this if I'm going with a Monster Triple?
A couple members with a triple disc have said it has improved the feel. I cannot comment specifically as I am stock for the moment.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts