Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An electric SS would appeal to me.

I hope the released employees get it together and buy the facilities, then design and produce an electric SS with all wheel drive and 900 hp. Tesla has said it will supply batteries and lease software in support of start ups. Serve GM right if Holden begins to outsell them.

As @Mummbles pointed out:
Facilities have or currently being sold off.
Factory demolition I believe has started already.
GM have also refused to sell the Holden name, at least for the moment.

Change the name to Volden (thinking of Voldermort) it sort of sounds like Volt. Tesla will even sell chasis, most important is the body stamping equipment. Can't be too hard in these days of CAD to design the interface. There is a company that sort of does this in the U.S., look up ICON. Get a new closed facility, there must be several. A small group of engineers can move very fast with out a bunch of managers. Bet they could have a running prototype in 6 months.

Watch the following youtubes.

Maybe some of our members know how to do a Go Fund Me page for start-up funding.

We have a lot of automotive experience right here in this forum.

Mike

·
Registered
181 Posts
Pontiac has a better chance being brought back selling electric Firebirds than "enthusiasts" restarting billions of dollars worth of operations for a brand that is owned by a multi-national mega corporation.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The Icon stuff is really amazing. Labors of love.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The @Glynn troll suggests spending billons to recreate GM and using the Holden name. I suggest doing neither, use Volden to avoid paying GM for the name. Then start small. Make use of the already developed technology from Tesla and ICON and Derelict etc. I think I remember hearing the body stamping equipment is still around. There are hundreds of unemployed ex-Holden workers. Already partially trained. Suppliers for the body and interior already have drawings and equipment. All that remains is to interface the Tesla skateboard to the SS body. Buy a closed production facility and make a few prototypes. Then try for some funding. I suspect a slow start approach will allow some learning time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The @Glynn troll suggests spending billons to recreate GM and using the Holden name. I suggest doing neither, use Volden to avoid paying GM for the name. Then start small. Make use of the already developed technology from Tesla and ICON and Derelict etc. I think I remember hearing the body stamping equipment is still around. There are hundreds of unemployed ex-Holden workers. Already partially trained. Suppliers for the body and interior already have drawings and equipment. All that remains is to interface the Tesla skateboard to the SS body. Buy a closed production facility and make a few prototypes. Then try for some funding. I suspect a slow start approach will allow some learning time.
Volden, like Voldemort. A car company using GM Holden stampings with Harry Potter branding that is going to slow roll their way to market?
Do you understand what intellectual property is and do you think GM wouldn't litigate "Volden" into the ground for ripping off their IP?
Do you think those former Holden employees are just sitting around waiting for a car enthusiast passion project to provide them a paycheck to cover their mortgage?
There is no way the VFII uni-body chassis as it was stamped in the end could be adapted to a Tesla skateboard.

The more REALISTIC, not Holden fan-fiction, future of Holden EVs would be for HSV, or a similar operation, engaging in EV conversions. Something like Singer Porsches or Arkonik Land Rovers.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Who wants an electric Holden? This car wouldn’t have garnered 1% of the interest it did without the LS3.

The market for non-Tesla electrics is tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
There is strong aversion to a rational discussion of electric vehicles on this forum (don't mention Tesla...EVER!), and I generally understand why, we're all into pure V8 supercars. I'm the first to admit why I'm here...that fantastic aluminum lump under the hood of my SS connected to the rear wheels via a proper Tremec 6 speed. But, my convictions aren't so fragile that can't discuss the eventual successor to ICE powered vehicles.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just carguru’d today

2015-2019
Tesla model s
models
70D
85D
P90D
90D
P100D
100D

not to expensive used. just starting my research

·
Registered
790 Posts
There is strong aversion to a rational discussion of electric vehicles on this forum (don't mention Tesla...EVER!), and I generally understand why, we're all into pure V8 supercars. I'm the first to admit why I'm here...that fantastic aluminum lump under the hood of my SS connected to the rear wheels via a proper Tremec 6 speed. But, my convictions aren't so fragile that can't discuss the eventual successor to ICE powered vehicles.
I need 4 doors, and it took me years to get to the point that I could afford a car I could really enjoy driving, and they're already mostly gone from the marketplace. It looks like Caddy will have one next year, but it'll be $80K. The outlook is bleak at best. So I'm in no hurry to rush the demise of proper cars. Electric goes a step further, eliminating both the engagement and the feel- that, plus autonomous drive represent the final nails in the coffin of the automotive love affair. Cars will be seen as 100% household appliance within 10 years of that point. The only 'mod' segment left will be the car stereo crowd. That's not to suggest there won't be some, just that they won't have the numbers to produce a 'community' that can push market forces. They'll be relegated to hacking together all their mods, at a time when Radio Shack, Fry's, etc. are all closed or closing.

But, as far as rational discussion... Tesla consistently posts last in reliability based on analysis, but first based on customer opinion. Never been much of a fan of religious nuts. ;) (OK, full disclosure, I'm a rabid member of the Church of the Third Pedal, so... also a hypocrite?)

At the end of the day, until battery technology gets far better- both capacity and charge speed- electric cars make less sense than gas-electric for heavy users. Pure electric is great for the commuter crowd; charge overnight, drive to/from work, rinse & repeat. However, until the cost comes way down, they're not a viable option for the typical buyer. Total cost, I'd be better off buying a small second gas car to use to commute to work, and have a fun car for weekends and such, then buying a single Tesla. Tesla knows this, and they're really marketing to the appliance crowd, with big screens and other neat features. The ludicrous mode is more for the uninitiated- it sounds great, and for a quick drag run, sure- but run it for more than a couple minutes and you're overheating and it dumps you into limp mode. Plus, the whole experience left me feeling like I was in a video game, very little tactile response, just the world fairly quietly moving past the windscreen- exactly like it does when I play Forza.

Sadly, GM and Ford are now running full force toward electric. I'd say the clock is ticking, because they might actually release some affordable, usable electrics that will see real marketshare in the next 5 years. As long as purists still demand a stick in performance vehicles, there will be some options, but the Vette is out, and I see a case being made to pull it from the Camaro and Mustang in the near future. Once there's no transmission debate, the electric takeover looks a lot easier. Ford already pumps V8 noise into their non-V8 Mustangs, right?

But, back on topic... I think it'd be great if Holden came back producing cars in Australia! And, electrics are probably the only cars with the margin to support Aussie worker wages, so there you go. I wouldn't expect them to export though- no distribution footprint, no maintenance support. If they did come back, and succeeded, it would be at least 2 decades before they're exporting cars anywhere- and the US would be way down on the list, too many growing markets closer to home. And GM would have no reason to help them, they'd be on their own.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I made this suggestion because I wanted to see the Australian car industry bounce back. Investing in ICE at this point is wasted money. GM is paying Tesla for energy credits. Maybe if Holden produced a viable electic car, they would prefer to pay them. My point was the SS is a popular configuration. If it can be combined with Teslas power train it might still be popular. Things are in place that a rapid advancement is possible. Would Australia embrace such a concept? I would love to see them hoon an already powerful electric.

·
Registered
790 Posts

They don't make the top 15 as a percentage, and they sell about 1/5th as many cars as the US who is #15, so. I'm going to go with no.

With local pride at stake, perhaps a renewed Holden Electric would change that... But there would be no SS chassis without a lot of negotiation- GM owns that platform. Any partnership GM struck with them would have to be very generous to GM for them to bite. I don't know how credits work outside the US- would there be any credit to buy from an Australian brand? (OK, I'm not 100% sure how credits work inside the US ;))

I'm with you, it would be great to see Holden rise like the Phoenix. But I suspect to be profitable, the cars would be:

·
Registered
790 Posts
The pedant in me really appreciates the 'V8' power in that Merc though... (y)(y)(y)

A truly classy design touch.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree that electrics are not selling well at this point. Mostly because Tesla is the only company producing a good one. They can be fun though, I have driven a model S with ludicrous mode, hard not to smile. I think all of us here can see the writing on the wall. The elevator is on the ground floor, time to get on. A few good models are starting to come out from other companies. Most are either too slow and simplistic or too expensive. None have explored the new capacitors to get under way. Most of the Tesla performance models will run a 10.5, how much would I have to spend to make my SS do that and not break parts. We all love the sound of a good cam, but that is going to become aftermarket only soon. I could enjoy a 900 hp all wheel drive SS. Quiet stealth is fun also.

·
Registered
466 Posts
"My point was the SS is a popular configuration . . . . it might still be popular."

Ahh, likely would bring back memories of the question quite a few have been asked,"Izzat a new electric Malibu?"

·
Registered
181 Posts
For many, the appeal of the VEs and the VFs is the chassis and handling. The SS is on the antiquated end of the 400+ horsepower V8s these days, but the chassis is still better than most sports sedans (or muscle sedans) available.

Whether Holden-revival branded or not, I'd like to see a GM electric sedan built in the spirit of the Commodore; a poor man's Porche Taycan with all of the chassis for half the price.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you tried the handling of a Tesla? They are pretty good especially with the low center of gravity. Check out the youtubes of them on track. Their biggest fault is the brakes fade quickly. An SS would have to upgrade the brakes. They can also keep the fart mode. The car should be centered on being a drivers machine. I really don't need a radio.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
This is early days of electric cars, it took many decades to sort out proper chassis dynamics to where the VF/VFII is today. Tesla dominates because its the best electric by miles, currently. What is the incentive today to introduce a "drivers" version? Tesla has the cash and I'm sure its on the long range plans, but let the dude ride a few quarters of profitability before the next thing.

Again, I need to re-post that I LOVE my SS and burning dead dinosaurs carcass. I don't consider the Tesla as a fantastic car in the big scheme, just in the e-niche. I really hold the SS community in higher regard than a group to simply discount off hand the idea of e-performance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts