Chevy SS Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
One of the reasons I paid for the extended warranty other than the MR. HVAC is expensive due to the vac/fill/etc.

My G8 had some AC work done and it was expensive - luckily it failed under warranty. G8 HVAC system leaks were nothing new, either.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Extended warranty paid for mine, but at the end of the term whether or not I can renew/extend it depends on their willingness to do so. I can see how they would say no to that if the car cost them money. So far the AC line has been my only warranty claim but if it’s a repeat issue I imagine they’ll say no. So, other than avoiding the hassle of being without a car, I also want to do my best to improve the chances of being able to renew the warranty

·
Premium Member
14,300 Posts
Extended warranty paid for mine, but at the end of the term whether or not I can renew/extend it depends on their willingness to do so. I can see how they would say no to that if the car cost them money. So far the AC line has been my only warranty claim but if it’s a repeat issue I imagine they’ll say no. So, other than avoiding the hassle of being without a car, I also want to do my best to improve the chances of being able to renew the warranty

With GMEPP/GMPP claims history has nothing to do with renewability or cost.

The actuaries have it incorporated into the rates everyone pays regardless of prior claims.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It’s not through GM, but good to know how they operate. I would have gotten it if it was available to me. Alas, it wasn’t. I got my SS at a Fiat dealership. Who would trade the SS for Italian garbage is beyond me, but hey. My gain.

·
Registered
2016 PBM / sunroof / spare / Manual / ARH longtubes / K&N intake
2 Posts
sorry to revive this thread but this issue just happened to my 2016 SS. Went to Penske dealer her in socal and got quoted $1,024 before tax....

Advisor told me it is 4.5 labor hours at 165/hr..
hose is $163
2 seals - $22.66
r134a $39.00

I read this thread and it said most guys on here got charged 2.5 hours....

I'm getting shafted by this dealer right?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Has anyone had any subsequent failures on this part once it’s been replaced? Wondering if it was a faulty factory part or if we’re looking at a design flaw, in which case I’d want to look into fabbing a long term fix. Not really wanting to deal with this again.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Has anyone had any subsequent failures on this part once it’s been replaced? Wondering if it was a faulty factory part or if we’re looking at a design flaw, in which case I’d want to look into fabbing a long term fix. Not really wanting to deal with this again.
Mine has been fine.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Mine is leaking, but is still working. The rack was replaced two years ago.

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,733 Posts
sorry to revive this thread but this issue just happened to my 2016 SS. Went to Penske dealer her in socal and got quoted $1,024 before tax....

Advisor told me it is 4.5 labor hours at 165/hr..
hose is $163
2 seals - $22.66
r134a $39.00

I read this thread and it said most guys on here got charged 2.5 hours....

I'm getting shafted by this dealer right?
Yep.
I used to work there. That particular tech thinks it's harder than what it is, or, they are charging you separately for diag and evacuate and charge.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Good question! Luckily it's a relatively easy fix. The dealer took a couple of hours in my case..

On my car I noticed the passenger side vent was not as cold as the drivers and evetually it stated blowing warm air. About two weeks later (daily driving) it failed completely.

So keep checking the air coming out of the passenger side vent. Once it becomes warm, you will know it's time to get it fixed ASAP.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts