2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,733 Posts
You know, I don't know. I'll find out.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You know, I don't know. I'll find out.
cool, thanks.

I've seen PAG green like that, but I've been out of the game for a while (retired). I don't think it has UV dye in it, but I really don't know. Especially from the factory, you know? I just found it interesting that in the OP's pics it was SO VERY GREEN. Almost glowing green, you know?

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,733 Posts
My Master Tech says yes, it is dye that glows under black light since 2015 or '16, wasn't sure which year exactly. We know this because when we submit for warranty payment for diagnostic dye and warranty kicks it back saying it's not needed because it in there already.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Also, any idea on the cause of the failures?
I went out and look at my 2017 to see the setup. The hose that is leaking on Kannon car is the discharge "hi pressure " line. The reason why the hose is leaking has to do with the hose being too short! Take a look at the picture below taken from my car. Notice there is no compensation in the hose for when the engine flexes on acceleration. Everyone of us will have this line leaking at the crimps sooner or later. It is really poor engineering of this line on GM part. The hose need to be a few inches longer and strapped to the lower half of the fan shroud.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,300 Posts
... good reason for Speed Racers to check the motor mounts.

The PPV's tear 'em up because of lead feet.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Motor mount failure or not, the hose section is too short. I have less than 3000, miles on my car. As seen in the picture, the hose is in a stretch position.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I went out and look at my 2017 to see the setup. The hose that is leaking on Kannon car is the discharge "hi pressure " line. The reason why the hose is leaking has to do with the hose being too short! Take a look at the picture below taken from my car. Notice there is no compensation in the hose for when the engine flexes on acceleration. Everyone of us will have this line leaking at the crimps sooner or later. It is really poor engineering of this line on GM part. The hose need to be a few inches longer and strapped to the lower half of the fan shroud.
I looked at mine today, doesn't look that bad. Make sure the end that goes to the condenser (at the service valve) isn't pulled up. I guess you could bend the tube(s) slightly if it bothers you that much but be careful if you do! shee it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Had it replaced today. Only took them a few hours. Part 92288310. Little over $500. No sweat. Service writer told me this was the 4th one he’s done. So definitely keep an eye out for this one guys.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Premium Member
14,300 Posts
Rough retail numbers

$160.00 List hose

2 (rounded 'couple) hours @ $140/hr = $280 ($140/hr my area; relatively cheap; more elsewhere)

134A and PEG $~25 (low estimate)

= $465 +8.25% sales tax = $503.37

12/12 warranty minimum on dealer repairs parts and labor.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,401 Posts
No idea of the cost, but it were to happen to my SS here in Lizard Spit; I would hold my nose and take it to the dealer and pay whatever it takes.
:panic:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yeah pretty cheap for the repair IMO. Living in Vegas, I wasn’t about to risk some home garage repair on a system I’ve never messed with before. Only downside is they ran my car through the car wash even though I asked the service writer to please not wash it :RantExplode:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine starting blowing warm just as I pulled into the parking garage at work this morning, and immediately thought of this thread. I am assuming there is a low pressure cutoff as I had not noticed any degraded performance recently, it just stopped cooling all together at 49k miles.

I picked up a UV pen after work, and sure enough the whole length of the HP line is coated in oil/dye. Was showing ~18psi on the low side at idle, i added a little r134 to bring it back up to 40ish and it is cooling well again until I can get it into the shop as I don't have a vacuum pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Mine starting blowing warm just as I pulled into the parking garage at work this morning, and immediately thought of this thread. I am assuming there is a low pressure cutoff as I had not noticed any degraded performance recently, it just stopped cooling all together at 49k miles.

I picked up a UV pen after work, and sure enough the whole length of the HP line is coated in oil/dye. Was showing ~18psi on the low side at idle, i added a little r134 to bring it back up to 40ish and it is cooling well again until I can get it into the shop as I don't have a vacuum pump.
Based on my chat with the service writer at my dealership (who has seen multiple visits for this) and from what I’ve read online, I think the rate of failure on this part is uncommonly high and a lot more people will be experiencing this. Sorry it was your turn :(

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Sounds like you have gauges, vacuum pumps are cheap online nowadays.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Had it replaced today. Only took them a few hours. Part 92288310. Little over $500. No sweat. Service writer told me this was the 4th one he’s done. So definitely keep an eye out for this one guys.
Had ours replaced today also.
The service advisor was surprised that I told them what was wrong and that I gave them the correct part number for the hose.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts