Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on which tires I should run for an upcoming track weekend November 4-5. Track is Portland International Raceway. I haven’t been there before. I expect track temps to be in the 40’s to low 50’s, and probably damp/wet. I actually enjoy wet track days as long as it isn’t a torrential downpour with standing water, so this isn’t about whether I should go.

I have the factory RE050 with ~6/32" left, or my "winter" tires; a set of DWS06 in factory sizes with near full tread (stored away currently but only a few thousand miles). The RE050’s are currently on the car. The DWS06’s are unmounted and would go on around Thanksgiving anyhow.

I strongly prefer the DWS’s on the street when it’s cold and wet, so tempted to put them on for the track, but not sure how they’d hold up.

The RE050’s have three track days on them and the fronts have taken a beating. If I run them for this upcoming two day track weekend, they’ll likely be done by the end of it.

Wouldn’t make me too sad to get fresh summer tires in the spring, but would rather not inflict the same abuse on the DWS06’s.

So now to my questions;
-What would you run?
-Maybe call an audible the day before I leave for the track? Rain = DWS, dry = RE050?
-Has anyone run the RE050 in similar conditions? Did they get warm enough to develop some grip?
-Has anyone run DWS06 on the track? If so, how did they hold up?

Appreciate anyone’s thoughts/experience.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Depends how hard you drive and what happens, but you could thrash your dws and have to get new ones. Not just from wear but also heat cycles.

Dont neglect your brakes, and look at getting a set of pads for the trackday too.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I’ll be running my first autox with the SS this weekend (temps in the morning should be mid-50s, warming to mid-70s by afternoon). I think I’m going to put my OEM wheels/tires back on for the event, mainly to let them take the wear and tear instead of my DWS06s, even though those are in a square setup on 19x9.5s and have much crisper turn-in.

es

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends how hard you drive and what happens, but you could thrash your dws and have to get new ones. Not just from wear but also heat cycles.

Dont neglect your brakes, and look at getting a set of pads for the trackday too.
Front RE050 tires are pretty thrashed already from three track days. I’d rather finish them off and get new summer tires in the spring than risk the DWS06, but the RE050 gets rock hard in the cold, so I’m a bit apprehensive about running them. On the other hand, I’m skeptical the DWS06 can take the abuse on track. Hoping someone has experience one way or the other to help guide my choice.

Brakes on the other hand have worked quite well for me. No change in pedal feel over those three days on track. I did pick up a slight squeal afterwards when lightly using the brakes on the street (think downhill parking garage ramps). Still plenty of pad left.

I flushed the factory fluid and replaced with ATE TYP200 over the winter. Wasn’t sure I’d take the SS to a track day at the time, but my car’s build date was October 2015, so I figured it was due anyhow. So that probably helped.

When they’re done, I’ll probably just stick with factory Ferodo pads. They work well for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll be running my first autox with the SS this weekend (temps in the morning should be mid-50s, warming to mid-70s by afternoon). I think I’m going to put my OEM wheels/tires back on for the event, mainly to let them take the wear and tear instead of my DWS06s, even though those are in a square setup on 19x9.5s and have much crisper turn-in.

es
Please let me know how it goes, whichever option you go with.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Please let me know how it goes, whichever option you go with.
Will do - I'm sure I'll do a thread on the event, at any rate.

es

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Ive run my dws on MSR and heldup decently, but after enough laps they got greasey like almost all street tires do. So if your trying to just go with the most economical scenario, go with old tires and run em till the are toast, then do a big smokey burnout and post up the vid.

Dont forget to bring a wheel chock, cause you dont want to use parking brake on hot rotors.
(If manual of course)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive run my dws on MSR and heldup decently, but after enough laps they got greasey like almost all street tires do. So if your trying to just go with the most economical scenario, go with old tires and run em till the are toast, then do a big smokey burnout and post up the vid.

Dont forget to bring a wheel chock, cause you dont want to use parking brake on hot rotors.
(If manual of course)
I can live with greasy; as you stated I’d expect that of a street tire. If they held up otherwise, that’s encouraging.

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If dry, the RE050's will get warm and grip OK. If wet, the DWS's will be the better choice.
Thanks. I?m leaning toward just leaving the RE050?s for now and make the call a day or two before I head to Portland, based on the forecast, whether to swap tires or not.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went ahead and switched to the DWS’s prior to the event. Track was a mix of wet and dry conditions throughout the weekend. The DWS’s worked fine and seemed to hold up to the track abuse better than I expected, but I sure noticed I had a lot less braking grip than I’m used to. Probably would’ve been fine on the RE050, but the forecast was far worse than the actual conditions, so the DWS’s were the safer choice.

PM sessions today (day 2) were completely dry. By then, I knew my way around the track pretty well (first time at PIR) so was able to push it at a good personal pace. Passed a couple of cars that were passing me Saturday.

Had a blast and learnt a lot both in the wet and dry portions of the weekend.

Also, it was great to finally meet another forum member. Noisycricket was there in his SS as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Glad to hear everything went ok.
You're probably not interested in new tire options but I ran Michelin Super Sports at the track for 2 different events. 1 two-day and the other a one-day. Great tires, heated up nice and never got greasy and let me tell you I ran those tires hard. The end of the second day it started to ran and obviously I eased up but they did surprisingly well on a wet track.
Oh and Michelin Sport Cup 2s if you're looking for a dry only tire. They can't handle the wet but they grab like you'd never believe in the dry.

Just some options for next season.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad to hear everything went ok.
You're probably not interested in new tire options but I ran Michelin Super Sports at the track for 2 different events. 1 two-day and the other a one-day. Great tires, heated up nice and never got greasy and let me tell you I ran those tires hard. The end of the second day it started to ran and obviously I eased up but they did surprisingly well on a wet track.
Oh and Michelin Sport Cup 2s if you're looking for a dry only tire. They can't handle the wet but they grab like you'd never believe in the dry.

Just some options for next season.
Thanks! In the Pacific Northwet, a dry weather only tires has a very short season. Some folks I know were on Super Sports and Pilot 4S and were very happy with them in the mixed conditions. There was never any standing water on the main line, so might’ve been a different story, but sounds like they’re pretty good on a wet surface.

The MPSS/Pilot 4s are at the top of my list when the RE050’s wear out. Unfortunately, they still have 6-7/32nds left, so they’ll go back on in the spring. Part of my motivation for keeping them on for this event was to try to kill them. Oh well.

Next order of business is selecting brake pads. 5 track days and 13k miles has the stock pads close to used up. They did pretty well, so tempted to just slap another set on, but will look at what’s out there first. Still a street car, so don’t want to go too noisy. Dust doesn’t bother me as long as it isn’t corrosive to wheel paint(Hawk Blue). There’s talk of a road trip to Thunderhill in January, so will need to sort that out fairly soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
...Next order of business is selecting brake pads. 5 track days and 13k miles has the stock pads close to used up. They did pretty well, so tempted to just slap another set on, but will look at what’s out there first. Still a street car, so don’t want to go too noisy. Dust doesn’t bother me as long as it isn’t corrosive to wheel paint(Hawk Blue). There’s talk of a road trip to Thunderhill in January, so will need to sort that out fairly soon.
I would highly reccomend getting a set of track only pads if you are going to be tracking the car a lot. I went from a street pad over to Hawk DTC-60s all around for the track and was blown away by the improvements of a track pad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts