Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I spoke with Kooks and they have the 1 7/8" kits available with and without the cats and could arrive on my doorstep within 3-4 weeks. My problem is I dont like the Kooks mufflers. I hate the way they sound. I am an avid Magnaflow "nutswinger" and unfortunately it looks like magnaflow is not going to release an axle-back yet. I wish exhaust and header companies would get together and make kits available so, for instance, a magnaflow cat back system can bolt up to Kooks headers...

/rant

· Registered
717 Posts
So I spoke with Kooks and they have the 1 7/8" kits available with and without the cats and could arrive on my doorstep within 3-4 weeks. My problem is I dont like the Kooks mufflers. I hate the way they sound. I am an avid Magnaflow "nutswinger" and unfortunately it looks like magnaflow is not going to release an axle-back yet. I wish exhaust and header companies would get together and make kits available so, for instance, a magnaflow cat back system can bolt up to Kooks headers...

/rant
I like magnaflow as well, but I don't know if you heard the video or not but even the full magnaflow catback doesn't sound much better then stock to me.

From all the soundclips I've heard I feel the stock catback coupled with aftermarket headers is the way to go.

· Registered
1,855 Posts
.....I wish exhaust and header companies would get together and make kits available so, for instance, a magnaflow cat back system can bolt up to Kooks headers.....
Wouldn't it have been cool to be able to just drop a Dodge Viper engine into a Camaro?

Think something like that could have ever happen?

COMPETING companies will never consort the way you are hoping. Kills the brand name.....and bites into profits.

Ya want Magnaflow mufflers, there only one way to get 'em. You want Kooks pipes with that, or want to bolt it to Kooks headers? You'll need to get familiar with the guys down at your local muffler shop.....

That's just the way it is; the way it'll always be.....

KW

· Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea I understand that completely. I just heard the SW exhaust and it sounds good. I will more than likely lean to the "kooks headers with stock catback" side... and just add some dual tips on each side.

· Registered
613 Posts
yea I understand that completely. I just heard the SW exhaust and it sounds good. I will more than likely lean to the "kooks headers with stock catback" side... and just add some dual tips on each side.
That's the way I'm leaning too. The factory mufflers will be "quieter" with headers and I don't want my daily driver too loud.

Reactions: Pinetree

· Registered
1,290 Posts
I had magnaflow on my G8 and I'm a fan but I have the complete Kooks system on mine and everyone that's heard it really likes the sound. It's a little louder than stock but I call it a really Hi-Po sound,especially under power. Not at all bad inside but you can tell it's different

· Registered
1,290 Posts
No Drone. I have the complete exhaust with the Hi-Perf cats . 3 to 2 1/2 back to Kooks Mufflers ,quad 3 1/2 outlets.
Mine was the Proto vehicle and we worked out a special price.I really liked working with those guys,especially Chris and Josh

· Premium Member
2,493 Posts
I am very interested in doing this as well. What are the warrantee implications?

//Nick

· Registered
142 Posts
With hedders you need a tune and goodbye warranty.
z51vett
Doug
Yes, this is true...more so with the tune than the headers...BUT...if you buy the actual handheld tuner...then you would be able to flash back to stock tune before taking it in for service.

...this only works to a certain point of modifications where the car can still function on the stock flash...if you go TT or S/C all bets are off because the car will be in bad shape without a tune.

· Registered
640 Posts
Yes, this is true...more so with the tune than the headers...BUT...if you buy the actual handheld tuner...then you would be able to flash back to stock tune before taking it in for service.

...this only works to a certain point of modifications where the car can still function on the stock flash...if you go TT or S/C all bets are off because the car will be in bad shape without a tune.

That won't work anymore. They will still know it was tuned. If something goes wrong once it's tuned that just means it's your chance to make it even faster. Let the modding begin!

· Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If youre wheel speed sensor goes out, and you have a tune and headers, they cannot void the warranty on the wheel speed sensor, or the struts, or an applique, or a blemish in the paint, or a faulty light bulb connector... hear what Im singing?

· Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
I would love to tune but dealerships will blame anything they can on it. Bad plug? Tune did it. Transmission go out? Additional HP from the tune did it. Rear end go out? You guessed it. The problem lies in proving otherwise. How do you prove the transmission wasn't the result of additional torque? Frankly I don't foresee any problems, but can't afford the worst case scenario and don't have the time (or money) to fight the General if I did feel that a problem wasn't the result of a tune. Roto-Fab now, and hopefully Stainless Works cat back soon. That should give me around 435-440HP at the crank with the Roto-Fab putting an additional 11HP at the wheels and probably an additional 3 or 4 more at the crank. For now that's plenty in my daily driver. Headers, cam, tune, someday. They did a Heron White at a local shop and added 80HP to the rear wheels. That is SSweet.

Reactions: Pinetree

· Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would love to tune but dealerships will blame anything they can on it. Bad plug? Tune did it. Transmission go out? Additional HP from the tune did it. Rear end go out? You guessed it. The problem lies in proving otherwise. How do you prove the transmission wasn't the result of additional torque? Frankly I don't foresee any problems, but can't afford the worst case scenario and don't have the time (or money) to fight the General if I did feel that a problem wasn't the result of a tune. Roto-Fab now, and hopefully Stainless Works cat back soon. That should give me around 435-440HP at the crank with the Roto-Fab putting an additional 11HP at the wheels and probably an additional 3 or 4 more at the crank. For now that's plenty in my daily driver. Headers, cam, tune, someday. They did a Heron White at a local shop and added 80HP to the rear wheels. That is SSweet.
That's where it gets hairy. If you have access to HP tuners and can flash the stock file back into the vehicle then there is a good chance you can get away with it. If they say "its been flashed" you can try to claim that you had a different set of wheels on the car and the tire shop adjusted for the wheel size to correct the speedo. Most of the time the dealership is not going to check the ecm to see if it has been flashed. I know at our delaership the only time they'll check it is if a rep or engineer comes to check out a motor/trans issue.

· Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Magnusson-Moss Act (Federal law) says a dealer can't void the warranty without proving that the mod caused the problem.
They can, however, just refuse to service the car altogether.

Reactions: Jstue and 1badss
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.