Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
For NA applications both are fine, they both serve the same purpose. If you are going to supercharge it down the line somewhere and still wants cats, go with the Kooks headers with green cats as they are the only ones tested to handle the power. There are threads on here of boosted cars with kooks and ARH with their regular hi-flow cats where the catalyst brick has clogged or gotten dislodged and stuck in the x pipe area. If supercharged with no cats, either are fine. For both though, I would take into account what axle back you are using also (if stock, this doesnt matter)

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
For NA applications both are fine, they both serve the same purpose. If you are going to supercharge it down the line somewhere and still wants cats, go with the Kooks headers with green cats as they are the only ones tested to handle the power. There are threads on here of boosted cars with kooks and ARH with their regular hi-flow cats where the catalyst brick has clogged or gotten dislodged and stuck in the x pipe area. If supercharged with no cats, either are fine. For both though, I would take into account what axle back you are using also (if stock, this doesnt matter)
This is a false statement only because of lack of knowledge.

GESI is the company that makes the cats. They are the only one who does. You can get them from ARH also but need to call them to order them. Only the high flow are available on the website last time I checked.

I ordered my set from ARH with the GESI/green cats. I also live on Long Island where ARH is located so I picked them up. I am also supercharged and drive it like I stole it and always in boost and not worried about it.

With that said you can go with either company you wish just make sure you get the GESI/green cats. Don’t even waste time with the high flow. Without cats you’ll get excess fuel smell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Best advice I can give is look up videos with either setup and choose which sound you like better. It more or less comes down to diameter rather than brand. 1-3/4 diameter is best for mild bolt on builds from what I understand

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I'm not alone in this but I'll never purchase another Kooks product. Their warranty means nothing. The original x-pipe for the SS was flawed. Their remedy was to offer a redesigned x-pipe at a discount. Replacement should have been zero cost.

This thread references the "off-road" x-pipe but the poor design affected all three of their x-pipes; non-catted, catted, and green catted.

Kooks x-pipe fitment issues

Reactions: fluxu8 and wilkin4

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just threw on a set of Kooks 1 7/8s. Fit fine, need to adjust my exhaust tips to really get it dialed in, everything bolted up, no modifications, clears a BMR brace easily, no rattles. From my experience ARH sounds more high pitch relative to the Kooks. You decide on that. Put 408/446 on a Dynojet. Was there an fitment issue previously, probably. Fairly certain I have seen "updated x-pipe" on sites for these cars. The converters are not apart of the x-pipe, so this doesn't matter.

Came with O2 extenders, gaskets, hardware. I bought GM manifold gaskets, as these are allegedly the best. People claim you can reuse the original gaskets. But they are crush type gaskets I believe. Passenger front O2 plug is a pain, a long prybar through a couple inch gap to get it clipped in will take some time and luck. Grab an O2 sensor socket, they came out fairly easy. Spray stuff down before removing spark plugs/wires (debatable, but to no break a plug while removing), stuff comes off easy. Plenty of threads to talk about removing/install.

Stock mufflers, pretty good noise on throttle, pretty chill cruising.

Reactions: SaberOne

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you’re looking to do “just“ headers, I believe doug thorleys are the only ones that will bolt up to stock exhaust. the others will require welding, or buying the x pipe, and the other pieces to bolt up to your factory bi-modals. Unless you get shortys, which aren’t worth the effort

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
ARH, I think they’re better quality. I’ve had fitment issues with Kooks in the past and never with ARH.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm not alone in this but I'll never purchase another Kooks product. Their warranty means nothing. The original x-pipe for the SS was flawed. Their remedy was to offer a redesigned x-pipe at a discount. Replacement should have been zero cost.

This thread references the "off-road" x-pipe but the poor design affected all three of their x-pipes; non-catted, catted, and green catted.

Kooks x-pipe fitment issues
This. If I could do it again, I'd go with ARH.

Reactions: DarthMalaguti
1 - 10 of 10 Posts