Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know, both sound great to me. Although both SS's I was in had different personalities.

I think I want headers now. Who wants to sponsor the Red SS with them? Lol Even though I’m satisfied with my @Roto-Fab cold air intake and awesome tune from @LivernoisMotorsports I think long tubes will complete my LS3. What do y’all think?

@RDP Store has some great sales going on and a discount code md10d on American Racing Headers so I’m swaying towards those. But I seem to hear more SS owners going for Kooks, any thoughts on that guys?

It was great to see everyone at today's SS meet, despite the rain, 14 SS's showed up. Thanks again to Joe @05on20s for organizing!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I do not have headers however I was looking into getting them so I went to the area's premiere speed shop to see what they suggested. Virginia Speed Virginia Speed Inc. They said they prefer Kooks Long Tube Headers on LS engines for the best HP gains. Also, they suggested power coating them to keep underhood temps down. Take it for what it is worth.
Check out their web site and the G8's they have modified. They really wanted to get their hands on our SS. I am still thinking about it, I just have to figure out how to get them on Susie's SS without her knowing about it:grin

·
Registered
195 Posts
I love my ARH Headers, and they are the only one who I know offers 2" primaries. However I like that Kooks redesigned their system to fit with the factory tunnel brace, and they offer "green cats" which are made to not set a check engine light.
Both are equally great choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Love my Kooks Headers and X Pipe w/green cats. They match up perfectly. Zero drone with stock bi-modals, at any RPM which was a big deal for me.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
You honestly can't go wrong with either company. Both make outstanding headers but I will say I like that American Racing headers because you can get 2 " primaries in case you really need that extra room. I think the deciding factor for me was the cost and discount from @rdpstore and then also that the COPO Camaro runs American Racing headers so I figured if it's good enough for that car should be good enough for mine.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
I wish that I could do headers. Shortys are my only option in CA, which isn't worth it. I need to find new hobbies, this lame state puts a big damper in my 2 favorite things (cars and guns).

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I do not have headers however I was looking into getting them so I went to the area's premiere speed shop to see what they suggested. Virginia Speed Virginia Speed Inc. They said they prefer Kooks Long Tube Headers on LS engines for the best HP gains. Also, they suggested power coating them to keep underhood temps down. Take it for what it is worth.
Check out their web site and the G8's they have modified. They really wanted to get their hands on our SS. I am still thinking about it, I just have to figure out how to get them on Susie's SS without her knowing about it:grin
Just tell her it has developed an exhaust problem somehow and you’re taking it to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Love my Kooks Headers and X Pipe w/green cats. They match up perfectly. Zero drone with stock bi-modals, at any RPM which was a big deal for me.
Thank You for this Dustin. That’s the exact setup I want for mine and was wondering about drone, if any. I’d like to hear yours sometime.

By the way Armin, Kooks with Green Cat X-Pipe all the way!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong either way, they are both great systems. I have an ARH system w/hp cats back to the bi-mods and couldn't be happier with them. Great fit and no drone on my SS either. My guess is any horsepower difference (if there really is any) would be negligible to the point you wouldn't know the difference. Kind of like comparing different brands of CAI units. Buy either one, get it tuned and enjoy!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have Kooks, and installed them myself. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with ARH....I've read their fitment is much better than Kooks.

You'll be happy with either set, and definitely happy with RDP Store's excellent prices and service!

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I don't know, both sound great to me. Although both SS's I was in had different personalities.

I think I want headers now. Who wants to sponsor the Red SS with them? Lol Even though I’m satisfied with my @Roto-Fab cold air intake and awesome tune from @LivernoisMotorsports I think long tubes will complete my LS3. What do y’all think?

@RDP Store has some great sales going on and a discount code md10d on American Racing Headers so I’m swaying towards those. But I seem to hear more SS owners going for Kooks, any thoughts on that guys?

It was great to see everyone at today's SS meet, despite the rain, 14 SS's showed up. Thanks again to Joe @05on20s for organizing!

Thanks for the video Armin. I have been contemplating the exact same thing. I know you already had the Livernois Aggressive+ tune installed.. So, does Livernois tweak the tune once the headers are installed (or is there no need to do that?). I'd be interested to hear from others about the powdercoating "need". I've thought about waiting until my warranty expires.. even hearing far fetched stories (but may be true) about headers install could even void items such as MyLink system. If you find you need additional buyers for Kooks to do a "run", let me know.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
I'd be interested to hear from others about the powdercoating "need". I've thought about waiting until my warranty expires.. even hearing far fetched stories (but may be true) about headers install could even void items such as MyLink system.
Livernois put the Kooks on my RPG as part of the build and they recommended against the coating due to differential expansion between the underlying SS and the coating. I was on the fence anyway so I left it off. I had a local shop put the same Kooks setup on my OBM and no coating there either. FWIW I do like the Borla Bullets between the green catted Xpipe and the bimodals. Takes the raspy sting/tin can sound out of the exhaust and replaces it with a mid low rumble. At low speeds it is probably 10dB quieter than without the bullets but at WOT it screams like it should.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thank You for this Dustin. That’s the exact setup I want for mine and was wondering about drone, if any. I’d like to hear yours sometime.

By the way Armin, Kooks with Green Cat X-Pipe all the way!
My pleasure sir. I live close to Texas Motor Speedway and frequently attend DFW car shows and promotions, etc. (I work for an Auto Software company) If you ever want to meet up and talk cars at a show, let me know! Next TMS event is in September but i'm going to try and make the August Cars and Coffee in Dallas (BMW location off george bush).

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
In the G8 world, people are of the opinion that the cheap ebay headers are nearly just as good as the Kooks for 1/3 the price.
I talked with one guy that did that and they were $600 for ceramic coated long tube headers.

And they fit well. He has a 2017 SS and owns a shop in Miami, and one of the sponsors for the Cars and Coffee on Key Biscayne.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I talked with one guy that did that and they were $600 for ceramic coated long tube headers.

And they fit well. He has a 2017 SS and owns a shop in Miami, and one of the sponsors for the Cars and Coffee on Key Biscayne.
Is he on the forum? I'd be curious to hear what brand he purchased and from where. It would be awesome to get a sound clip as well, to compare those to Kooks/ARH.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Is he on the forum? I'd be curious to hear what brand he purchased and from where. It would be awesome to get a sound clip as well, to compare those to Kooks/ARH.
Not sure if he is on here, but I can message you his name and phone number for his shop if you want....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts