Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have issues with the off-road or catted Kooks x-pipe sitting close to the driver side frame rail and vibrating turning to the right or in gear at idle with a load on the engine? I can't seem to get it away from the frame rail. Every picture I see it sits closer to that side. Wondering if there is a special way to adjust it. Can't seem to find any information in other threads. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Did you try flipping it upside down? I seem to remember one of the X-pipes out there having it's "left" and "right" labels reversed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, mine is the non catted x-pipe, everyone I have seen installed sits to the left or driver side of the car close to the frame.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Worked on it again today to reinsure myself that everything was put on properly and not having any better results. Got it a little bit better but if I make sharp right turns the vibration is back. Doesn't really look like I can do anything other than inform kooks the fitment is off on this side or get destructive which I'm not doing. Lol

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I don't remember mine being that close. I'll look for some pictures. This is on the connection pipes and not the x pipe?
The picture in the first post is the catted connection pipes, so is that not yours?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it's the connection pipe I am referring to. And mine are non catted. I was just using that picture as an example that shows it sitting off center. I know from kooks you have to buy the x pipe kit for it to come with everything to mount to long tube headers.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Next time I have my car in the air I'll try to remember to snap some pics. I have this picture of it with the green cat connection pipes. Those came off and offroad connection pipes went on. The offroad connection pipes where exactly the same minus the cats. The picture is not a good angled for what you are looking for but it's what I got... Even in this bad angle picture it looks to have more clearance than what you got.

Have you tried to tighten the ball flange at the header? That can surely effect the angle.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I've tried that as well. I'm going to take it completely back off again minus taking off the headers and try it again. The connection pipe doesn't slip into the x pipe very easy on the driver side. Thinking maybe it didn't slip in all the way.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,420 Posts
I'm using a laptop; so when I flip my computer vertically on its right side, it appears the right side 'cat' is tilted more inward to the left. Just like another member has mentioned; I believe there was a particular issue with a 'left vs. 'right flip. Perhaps this is why I also seem to recall a fitment issue with Kooks.

Either way, if this cannot be sorted out, I would call and request a 'return merchandise authorization' (RMA) and send it back.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
IIRC, the connection pipes can be 'clocked/turned' to a minor extent altering the fitment. Are you sure you have the x pipe correct? The way kooks told me to install it was wrong. The x pipe being flipped makes a huge difference, it still installs both ways but the system fits terribly when the x pipe it's flipped 180.
Kooks customer service and attention to help was great but they seem very disorganized, not knowing their own product very well on a question that has come up, to them, many times.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, I haven't tried flipping them yet but going to today. I will keep everyone informed of my findings. If it doesn't work, it'll be getting returned.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Any updates? Did you get a chance to flip the pipes around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alrighty, Soooo I emailed Kooks and they told me the same thing, that they may have mislabeled the pipes and to try swapping them. I tried swapping them and they were on correctly the entire time. If you try to swap them, the hangers are not welded to the center of the pipe, they are welded towards the bottom if installed correctly, so if you try to swap them, the hangers will hit the transmission crossmember.

So I put them back how they were, loosened the entire exhaust system from the connection pipes back, I slipped the connection pipes in as far as I could by hand and with a few taps from a 5lb dead blow hammer. Them I took a Sharpe, marked them, and then beat the piss out of them "without" denting the pipes until I couldn't get them to move anymore. I believe I got about another 1/8th inch slipped in. Tightened it all back up. Also noticed that if you are running stock muffs, make sure the muffs aren't pushed all the way back to the hanger stops. It will rattle the car to death as well.

As of now, the connection pipe still sits very close to the driver side frame rail, but it is far enough away that it is not vibrating anymore at all even under WOT. It's been a PITA, I'm not sure why I was having so many problems with fitment. But I do know I am not the only one who has had this issue with kooks. I will post pictures this weekend. Hope this helps anyone going this route.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts