Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in my supercharged c6 grand sport for a 2017 manual ss. My wife and I just had our first baby and it was time for a 4 door.
So far I really like the car. I’m looking to get a little more out of the exhaust and have been searching the forums . It looks like the solo axle back is real popular. I’ve been listening to plenty of videos on YouTube but it’s hard to tell how loud they really are or how well they really sound.

For those who have the solo , are they a lot louder than the stock mufflers? Do you still get the nice pops/crackles on decel?

I only plan to do the axle back and rotofab intake until warranty is up

Also I’m trying to message another member and it won’t let me. Is there something I need to do before I’m able to?

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the SS family!

Congrats on your 2017 manual! I have a 2016 manual and love it more everyday. Being that you have the stock bi-modal exhaust, I always need to be devil's advocate for getting rid of that option of quiet/loud. I have heard some people say that the bi-modals have a "tinny" sound, but I don't see it. Especially if the SS is more of a family car, I would advise keep the stock mufflers and possibly look into an X-pipe. I understand wanting to maintain as much warranty as possible. (Although that should probably be expiring in coming months) I stuck with the factory bimodals and went American Racing Headers with a catless x-pipe. It is loud as can be when I want, and quiet as a mouse on the highway for a road trip or with my girlfriend in the car. Solo sounds great as I have heard too, I just want to warn about maybe going a slightly different route, but since I don't personally have first-hand experience, someone else may be better help.

As for the message function, to my knowledge, the site requires you to have 5 posts (I believe) before you gain that privilege. Again, I am not a moderator so don't quote me on that.

Enjoy your SS!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the SS family!

Congrats on your 2017 manual! I have a 2016 manual and love it more everyday. Being that you have the stock bi-modal exhaust, I always need to be devil's advocate for getting rid of that option of quiet/loud. I have heard some people say that the bi-modals have a "tinny" sound, but I don't see it. Especially if the SS is more of a family car, I would advise keep the stock mufflers and possibly look into an X-pipe. I understand wanting to maintain as much warranty as possible. (Although that should probably be expiring in coming months) I stuck with the factory bimodals and went American Racing Headers with a catless x-pipe. It is loud as can be when I want, and quiet as a mouse on the highway for a road trip or with my girlfriend in the car. Solo sounds great as I have heard too, I just want to warn about maybe going a slightly different route, but since I don't personally have first-hand experience, someone else may be better help.

As for the message function, to my knowledge, the site requires you to have 5 posts (I believe) before you gain that privilege. Again, I am not a moderator so don't quote me on that.

Enjoy your SS!

Thanks for the response.
I believe the power train will be up in 2022 so I plan to do more mods around then. I had kooks catless longtubes on my c6 with the bimodals and I absolutely loved that setup. But I won’t be doing headers until the warranty is up.

I have also thought about doing the secondary cat delete with an x pipe but again it’s hard to tell in videos on how much louder over stock it is. If it’s a decent amt louder than that does sound like a better option so I can keep the bimodals

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've got a 2015 so no bimodals...but did do the 2nd cat delete by just removing the cats and welding in a straight section of pipe (retain stock H-pipe). Sound is louder with more pops, and only cost a 100 bucks. Cheap mod to see how you like it, can always add an x-pipe later.

·
Super Moderator
13,287 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got a 2015 so no bimodals...but did do the 2nd cat delete by just removing the cats and welding in a straight section of pipe (retain stock H-pipe). Sound is louder with more pops, and only cost a 100 bucks. Cheap mod to see how you like it, can always add an x-pipe later.

Thanks for the response. Was is loud enough for you or do you wish you went with something a little louder?

·
Registered
387 Posts
It is plenty loud under WOT, and tame under cruising/highway speeds...I have also removed the resonator/mid muffler...but I believe the 2016-2017s do not have this. I'll be doing headers eventually, but for performance rather than the sound. From what I've read the headers/stock muffler combo is pretty loud/raspy, so may have to tone it down with an aftermarket system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is plenty loud under WOT, and tame under cruising/highway speeds...I have also removed the resonator/mid muffler...but I believe the 2016-2017s do not have this. I'll be doing headers eventually, but for performance rather than the sound. From what I've read the headers/stock muffler combo is pretty loud/raspy, so may have to tone it down with an aftermarket system.

Yea I’m going to do the same. Once warranty is up I’ll be doing headers to stock bimodals . But for now I just want some more sound. So maybe I’ll do the cat delete and try that out

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I thought the stock SS exhaust sounded good until I was at a track day and heard another SS on track. This is totally subjective but the stock exhaust has a strong pulse to it (like there is no crossover whatsoever) whereas the Stainless Works system really smooths things out and sounds pleasing to my ears. I know I would miss the ability to quiet things down, but I'm equally disappointed in the sound of the stock SS system.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So how is the idle and low rpm sound on the Stainless Works system with stock cat-forward system? B.

·
Registered
300 Posts
When i bought mine it had corsa with 2nd cat delete. It was way to quiet for me, but sounded great ( most people would love it.). I removed the rear mufflers and now only have 1st cats and 2 resonators underneath.

I like really loud. This is still to quiet but it is just quiet enough i dont wake the kids at at 4-5 am leaving the house.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just traded in my supercharged c6 grand sport for a 2017 manual ss. My wife and I just had our first baby and it was time for a 4 door.
So far I really like the car. I’m looking to get a little more out of the exhaust and have been searching the forums . It looks like the solo axle back is real popular. I’ve been listening to plenty of videos on YouTube but it’s hard to tell how loud they really are or how well they really sound.

For those who have the solo , are they a lot louder than the stock mufflers? Do you still get the nice pops/crackles on decel?

I only plan to do the axle back and rotofab intake until warranty is up

Also I’m trying to message another member and it won’t let me. Is there something I need to do before I’m able to?

Thanks everyone

Congrats on the SS purchase. I left the OEM axle back on and had the mid-muffler/resonator removed and replaced with straight stainless pipes. Sounds great when firing up and at WOT. No real increase in interior drone but it is definitely louder outside the car at all RPM. This is a very cost effective first step that doesn't negatively affect emissions. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
We should meet up and I can do a drive-by at WOT while both of us are cruising on the highway. I had a friend drive my RPG while I was in my Tahoe at 60-70 and he blew by at 90+ so I could get a real understanding of the sound of my stainless Borla XR1 (40461) mufflers mounted between my green catted Xpipe and bimodals.

I always hear a tinny sound on SS's with headers into the bimodals and the XR1's take that away, drop the exhaust tone to a nice bass tone, and cut about 10 dB off at idle. At WOT, my RPG flat screams but it has a Livernois Stage 2C-HL cam (.464 lift)and the heads machined, so I'm pushing a lot more air through my LS3 than a stock motor. But my OBM SS has the exact same exhaust without the cam or head job and it sounds great also with the XR1's. I have a feeling my OBM might be getting a cam for it's Christmas present.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats on the SS purchase. I left the OEM axle back on and had the mid-muffler/resonator removed and replaced with straight stainless pipes. Sounds great when firing up and at WOT. No real increase in interior drone but it is definitely louder outside the car at all RPM. This is a very cost effective first step that doesn't negatively affect emissions. Good luck!

Yea the 16-17 done have that kid muffler. But I’ve thought about removing the secondary cats

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I removed my second cats and it added a little more volume, but no drone. It's a good thing to do.

I thought about doing that but if it’s not loud enough for my liking I’d want them in place if I go solo axle back

·
Super Moderator
13,287 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts