Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I especially like the way it handles curves, off/on ramps, freeway exchanges and curvy roads!
Yesss! This is the ESSENCE of THIS car!! (And the Brembo brakes are for late braking into switchbacks down long mountain passes, not just to slow you down from the 1/4 mile...)
The power means you get quicker out of corners, spend less time between them and carry more speed before the next one...
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
the Brembo brakes are not just to slow you down from the 1/4 mile..
Wait, the car turns......??????
What are these turns and curves you speak of???
Oh, i get it, the turn you make at the end of the 1/4 track to go back to the pits, or starting line... ? ? ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks so much to everyone for the input. As some pointed out, my OP was a bit open ended as I hoped to stir some conversation and get a few points of view. I'm going to stay away from the bolt-ons and power mods and enjoy the car as it is, at least for a while longer :) Would love to keep reading what other's have or haven't done and why. Very cool that the same car can be enjoyed in many different ways and see the individual visions and iterations of what makes it fun for them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I view the SS as a canvas on which an artist can paint. Facilitated in great part by the LS3 engine (w/o cylinder deactivation, variable cam timing and direct injection) and the (partial, but not complete) chassis commonality with the 5th generation Camaro. The CTS-V front brake upgrade (with the 2-piece rotors) and square (rear wheels and tires in the front) tire setup are personally recommended. My current focus, in the interest of on-the-road reliability is to remove the "time bombs" GM so thoughtfully included with the car. These include the rocker arm roller bearings, valve springs, pushrods, the plastic sleeve behind the clutch T/O bearing, and the common reservoir for the brakes and clutch. And also install a magnetic oil drain plug from the Corvette at the first opportunity.

This may not be everyone's choice, as illustrated by many of the above posts, But I have been happy with how easily the SS can be improved.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your only DD=Stock
Warranty=Stock
Plan to sell in the future=Stock
Owe money on the car = Stock

If you answer yes to any of the above, then I'd keep it stock.

I've broken my own rule with DD's but they were on cars that were already fully or near fully depreciated, so I could write off the car both mentally and financially.
I have a differing opinion that, I don't think any of those conditions should pose an obstacles. I've modded in some way every car I've owned except for one in the past 25 years. When I was younger and often didn't have two nickels to rub together my mods could be a bit more sketchy think PVC intakes and fish tank air regulators as boost control. With those mods and the car broke it was usually on a high mileage past its prime car all jacked up and could leave me stranded some times. Now I have a few more nickels and do things right and my cars have never stranded me (old dead batteries don't count).

I buy my cars knowing I'll only be so happy with the power for so long. I knew I'd eventually mod my '17 SS but I kept telling myself after the 3/36 ran out. I think I had over 20k miles left of warranty before I started stuff and then moved right to the Whipple. That was a year ago this Jan and I don't regret a moment of the decision to put the SC on. If I were to go back in time I'd probably not do the PD blower and get the ProCharger as it would better compliment a manual in the city.

For people like us, our cars are often an extension of ourselves I love my car thrilling me and getting me giddy every time I get in it. Watching a coworkers eyes go wide when I whip up 10lbs is nice fun too. This is only the second car I've owned where 6 months in I wasn't thinking about what's my next car gonna be. Not that I would rush out and get one but just taking the time to figure it out. I owned my Corvette barely a year before my eyes started wandering. Took 18 months before I found this car and didn't think twice about giving the Corvette up.

Moral is drive what makes you happy and do what makes you happy to your own car. If you love your car just as it is now stick with that because you may not like what it becomes after a mod. If you're already thinking about mods it sounds like you don't love everything about your car, only you know you.

PS if you have a manual the MGW shifter rocks.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SSSteve176M

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is my two cents. Been driving LS1 style motors since they literally came out in 1998. Previous owner of a G8 GXP. That car had full Kooks and a TVS2300. Several 4th Gen F Bodies. I am a spirited but casual driver with little interest in the track or racing in a timed event. Fun with little compromise is what I usually go for.

My current SS sedan is totally stock. I WOULD put headers on and keep the stock cans out back. BUT since I live in an emissions state it puts a hold on it. Some inspectors will let you through. Others will complain and fail you. Its a PITA to deal with so I will wait till I move again. I would love to get GXP mufflers on that car if I could find some used.

The TVS2300 made the car faster but it wasn't a large increase in fun. It did affect the handling. Pricing versus effort to install is really good. Takes more effort to pull heads and install a cam. More drivable. The GXP was a more savage car and would benefit more from the TVS2300. My SS I feel like is more of an executive car and I don't desire to go FA as much. It upsets the balance of the car more. I mean in spirit more than road feel. Could be another 10 years of age has altered my opinions.

CAMS: If you DD in any kind of real traffic with a M6 don't install a cam. I sit in at least 2 hours of <10 MPH stop and go traffic a day and I can tell you anything more than a cam that runs on stock springs will be annoying in traffic. If you live in rural USA and never have to deal with traffic install a cam in your car. But with a stick car in grid lock cams SUCK. Part of why I did TVS2300 on the GXP. Idling at 900 RPM means pushing the clutch in all the time and riding the brakes. Then all of a sudden the car starts bucking for no reason and you almost slam into the car in front of you. No fun.

Again if you don't live in a crowded city then you probably think I am crazy but that's how it is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Honestly, with the 6MT I found this mod mandatory:

Muzzys CAGS Skip Shift Eliminator for 1992-2019: Corvette, Camaro, Viper, Firebird, Trans-AM, Challenger, G8, SS, Ram SRT10, Commodore https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AO328FW/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_WMX8DbV9NNFNS
I still have one of those that I bought about 15 something odd years ago. The skip shift can be disabled in the tune (warranty issue?) or if you hold on to the rev's just a hair longer it will actually let you go into 2ed. The other option is just to shift into 3rd. It seems weird but it works.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks so much to everyone for the input. As some pointed out, my OP was a bit open ended as I hoped to stir some conversation and get a few points of view. I'm going to stay away from the bolt-ons and power mods and enjoy the car as it is, at least for a while longer :) Would love to keep reading what other's have or haven't done and why. Very cool that the same car can be enjoyed in many different ways and see the individual visions and iterations of what makes it fun for them.
Everything here from let it be to turn the bear loose. That's what I like about this here forum...

·
Registered
28 Posts
To qualify my tune statement- with no physical mods(minimal labor) you'll feel a surprising kick in the pants. I say this B4 diving into heads, manifold etc, etc......….

·
Registered
784 Posts
Mine is quick enough to get me in trouble as is. I flirted around with a cam but ultimately decided to live vicariously through guys on YouTube.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts